DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rohmer's 'Six Moral Tales' boxset in August

Old 05-07-06, 01:04 PM

Rohmer's 'Six Moral Tales' boxset in August

Did a search, couldn't find anything about this. Certainly the most important DVD news of the year.

Six Moral Tales (1963-72)

The most famous line of criticism about the films of Eric Rohmer came not from a movie critic but from a movie, Arthur Penn's "Night Moves," in which a character returns from seeing "Claire's Knee" and announces that it was "like watching paint dry." There's no getting around the element of boredom that hangs over even Mr. Rohmer's best films. It's not that the characters talk and talk and talk (you could say the same thing about any of the great Howard Hawks movies), it's that they exist so fully inside their own heads that the prattle can drive you a bit batty. When Mr. Rohmer's movies fail, it's because he has failed to be sufficiently satirical or empathetic enough to get us past that self-absorption. When he succeeds, as he does in his masterpiece, "Summer (Le Rayon Vert)," he can make us feel a kinship with the most self-absorbed of characters, make us feel like we are seeing ourselves. The work he did under the heading "Six Moral Tales" remains his best known, and this Criterion set brings together not just the early shorts, but also the better-known features that close the series, like "Claire's Knee" and the nearly insufferable "Love in the Afternoon" (better known to some viewers as "Chloe in the Afternoon"). It's a measure of how good Mr. Rohmer can be that the best of the six, the 1969 "My Night at Maud's," is his most cerebral. And at first it's purgatorial. But the film opens up during the long conversation between a priggish Roman Catholic biologist (Jean-Louis Trintignant) and a woman (the luscious Françoise Fabian) he spends a chaste night with. Their talk is a dance between his naïveté and her worldliness that springs from a discussion of Pascal. Mr. Trintignant's character is every bit the idiot that Ms. Fabian's, not without tenderness, says he is, but one who is capable of self-realization. And as he sees in himself the rigidity he despises in Pascal, you experience the special grace that Mr. Rohmer's work can achieve. He brings you to an empathy you never imagined feeling. (Criterion, Aug. 15, $99.95) CHARLES TAYLOR

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/07/mo...=1&oref=slogin
Old 05-07-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

criterionforum.org/forum doesn't have all that much more information, but some discussion on it.
Old 05-07-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, this is great news. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-08-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The word "CRITERION" should be in the thread-title to ensure full-impact banana dancing!
Old 05-09-06, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
The word "CRITERION" should be in the thread-title to ensure full-impact banana dancing!
I deliberately left it out to avoid people coming into the thread and posting stuff like, "I don't know what the big deal is with Criterion", etc. Plus, I wanted people to open the thread based on their interest in Rohmer's films, not because of some pathetic Criterion fanboy crap.
Old 05-09-06, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Plus, I wanted people to open the thread based on their interest in Rohmer's films, not because of some pathetic Criterion fanboy crap.
That's a bit myopic. Sure there are people here who collect spine numbers, but Criterion also serves a curatorial function, just like theaters, museums, and TV networks. If someone becomes interested in Rohmer's work because they've learned to trust a brand, I don't see why that's any less legitimate than having found him through other means.

The thread title should provide maximal information, not validate an elitist position.
Old 05-09-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the Rohmer box that came out last year in region2. It's a treasure. His films (most of them at least) are like a fine wine. I break out a Rohmer film to cleanse the mental palate,like listening to a Mozart piano concerto. (How's that for mixing metaphors and similes?)
Old 05-09-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This must be the long-overdue early deal they had with Fox Lorber. I truly hope that Claire's Knee finally gets a solid transfer. I adore the film!!

Thank you for being kind enough and posting the news!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 05-09-06, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by illennium
That's a bit myopic. Sure there are people here who collect spine numbers, but Criterion also serves a curatorial function, just like theaters, museums, and TV networks. If someone becomes interested in Rohmer's work because they've learned to trust a brand, I don't see why that's any less legitimate than having found him through other means.

The thread title should provide maximal information, not validate an elitist position.
Honestly, I really didn't think it would matter... Also, I guess I didn't think it would occur to anyone that it wouldn't be Criterion releasing this.
Old 05-09-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Doesn't really matter at all, and I think your reasoning is valid. I brought it up only because decent Rohmer DVDs are exceedingly rare, and the fact that a reputable company like Criterion is doing the transfers is especially good news!
Old 05-09-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm interested in seeing this. I've yet to see a Rohmer film.
Old 05-10-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Same here. I've heard about Rohmer and have been meaning to check out some of his work especially "My Night at Maud's". Now this being released by Criterion, I'll have no reason not to. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-10-06, 08:41 PM

The minimal overlap between this and my Arrow Films UK box set makes this pretty appealing. Good to see Rohmer's work finally get some (presumably) quality US releases!

Is the Koch DVD of Triple Agent disc worth bothering with? It's been waiting in my Netflix queue for some time...
Old 05-11-06, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Is the Koch DVD of Triple Agent disc worth bothering with?...
YES! A most interesting film offered in a deserving quality!!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 05-12-06, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Did a search, couldn't find anything about this. Certainly the most important DVD news of the year.

Six Moral Tales (1963-72)

The most famous line of criticism about the films of Eric Rohmer came not from a movie critic but from a movie, Arthur Penn's "Night Moves," in which a character returns from seeing "Claire's Knee" and announces that it was "like watching paint dry."

CHARLES TAYLOR

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/07/mo...=1&oref=slogin
Geez, did the New York Times really print this? As any Rohmer fan will tell you, Gene Hackman's character was talking about seeing MY NIGHT AT MAUD's, not CLAIRE'S KNEE.

Rohmer is my favorite director, I've seen all of his films (except for a couple never released in the US) so I am really looking forward to this. He is the only director who I (could) say has never made a bad film. But, unfortunately, TRIPLE AGENT was his one and only misfire. Not a terrible film, but definitely his weakest.
Old 05-12-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by moviezzz
But, unfortunately, TRIPLE AGENT was his one and only misfire. Not a terrible film, but definitely his weakest.

I am not sure I agree with your statement. Well before the film entered production there were articles predicting that this would be a total disaster given the fact that it was based on a true story and the outcome was rather clear (which I also disagree with as the extras in the DVD clearly reveal that there is much that is still unclear about the main character). All things considered I enjoyed the film a great deal...the camera as always was so subtle.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 05-17-06, 10:40 AM

Six Moral Tales by Eric Rohmer - August 15, 2006
Old 05-17-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news! I am a particular fan of "Summer" (though I always thought the title was served better to be literally translated as "The Green Ray"). It has one of the most cathartic last lines in any film I've ever seen! I do agree Rohmer is hit and miss, as can be seen in the 'Four Seasons-Cycle,' but I'm sure Criterion would provide a very engrossing experience by packaging all these films together.
Old 05-17-06, 02:50 PM

Here, you'll love this:

Box set will include:

The Bakery Girl of Monceau – 1962 (short 22mins)
Suzanne's Career – 1963 (short 55 mins)
My Night At Maud's - 1970
La Collectionneuse - 1966
Claire's Knee - 1971
Love in the Afternoon – 1972 (Chloe in the Afternoon)

Approx. 3 hours of extras:
- An interview with writer/director Neal LaBute
- An 84-minute interview with Rohmer
- 50-minute interview with Rohmer from 1977
- A book, which has been out-of-print in the US since 1980
Old 05-17-06, 02:59 PM

Also, Seduced and Abandoned and Kicking and Screaming on August 22, 2006.
Old 05-17-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It's like watching paint dry. That said, I'm rather fond of "Le Genou de Claire" but overall, that whole cinéma vérité movement leaves me cold.

Last edited by eXcentris; 05-17-06 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-18-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by ChristianB
Also, Seduced and Abandoned ...
Absolutely spectacular Germi!! I have the Italian Fox disc which is English friendly and this film is amongst the most watched ones in my collection. Stefania Sandrelli is to die for!!!

But this is what I need.....

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 05-18-06, 01:12 AM

Criterion's site has been updated with their new design, and promise that the new logo will be starting on their August releases. I'm slightly apprehensive about it, as the current design is so inobtrusive and classy, but it can't be any worse the original "eye" style.

Also:

This Saturday, May 20, at New York?s Anthology Film Archives, there will be a rare screening of Allison Anders and Kurt Voss?s 1987 independent cult film Border Radio. Set against Los Angeles?s eighties punk scene, the semi-improvised, black-and-white Border Radio marked Anders?s sdirectorial debut. Criterion will release Border Radio later this year, but before we do, catch it on the big screen. The Anthology event is at 3pm, at 32 2nd Avenue, in the East Village. Anders will be in attendance for a post-screening Q&A.
Old 05-18-06, 01:11 PM

Another update this morning. Really not feeling the new logo/design on the covers. :\

SIX MORAL TALES
Eric Rohmer
#342 - #348
$99.99

[no cover art yet]

The multifaceted, deeply personal dramatic universe of Eric Rohmer has had an effect on cinema unlike any other. One of the founding critics of the history-making Cahiers du cinéma, Rohmer began translating his written manifestos to film in the sixties, standing apart from his new-wave contemporaries, like François Truffaut and Jean-Luc Godard, with his patented brand of gently existential, hyperarticulate character studies set against vivid seasonal landscapes. This near genre unto itself was established with his audacious and wildly influential series Six Moral Tales. A succession of jousts between fragile men and the women who tempt them, Six Moral Tales unleashed on the film world a new voice, one that was at once sexy, philosophical, modern, daring, nonjudgmental, and liberating.

Special Features:

SPECIAL DELUXE EDITION SIX-DISC BOX SET FEATURES

* New, restored high-definition digital transfers, supervised and approved by director Eric Rohmer
* Exclusive new video conversation with Rohmer and Barbet Schroeder
* Short films: Nadja in Paris; Presentation, or Charlotte and Her Steak; A Student of Today; The Curve; and Véronique and Her Dunce
* Archival interviews with Rohmer, actors Jean-Claude Brialy, Béatrice Romand, Laurence de Monaghan, and Jean-*Louis Trintignant, film critic Jean Douchet, and producer Pierre Cottrell
* Video afterword by filmmaker and writer Neil LaBute
* Original theatrical trailers
* New and improved English subtitle translations
* PLUS: Six Moral Tales, the original stories by Eric Rohmer, and a booklet featuring ?For a Talking Cinema,? by Eric Rohmer, and new essays by Geoff Andrew, Ginette Vincendeau, Phillip Lopate, Kent Jones, Molly Haskell, and Armond White

KICKING AND SCREAMING
Noah Baumbach
$29.99

Paralyzed by postgraduation ennui, a group of college friends remain on campus, patching together a community for themselves in order to deny the real-world futures awaiting them. Academy Award?nominated screenwriter Noah Baumbach?s hilarious and touching directorial debut was one of the highlights of the American independent film scene of the nineties, speaking directly to a generation of adults-to-be unable to reconcile their hermetic educational experience with workaday responsibility, and posing the eternal question, where do we go from here? Stingingly funny and incisive, Baumbach?s breakthrough features endlessly quotable dialogue, delivered by a stellar ensemble cast.

Special Features:

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES INCLUDE

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Noah Baumbach
* New Dolby Digital 5.1 audio remix
* New video interview with writer-director Baumbach
* New video conversations featuring Baumbach and cast members Chris Eigeman, Josh Hamilton, and Carlos Jacott
* Rare deleted scenes
* Conrad and Butler in ?Conrad and Butler Take a Vacation,? a short film from 2000, directed by Baumbach and starring Kicking and Screaming cast members Carlos Jacott and John Lehr
* Brief 1995 interviews with Baumbach and the cast, originally broadcast on IFC
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A new essay by Jonathan Rosenbaum

SEDUCED AND ABANDONED
Pietro Germi
$29.99

Shotgun weddings, kidnapping, attempted murder, emergency dental work?the things Don Vincenzo (Saro Urzì) will do to restore his family?s honor! Pietro Germi?s Seduced and Abandoned (Sedotta e abbandonata) was the follow-up to his international sensation Divorce Italian Style, and in many ways it?s even more audacious?a rollicking yet raw series of escalating comic calamities that ensue in a small village when sixteen-year-old Agnese (the beautiful Stefania Sandrelli) loses her virginity at the hands of her sister?s lascivious fiancé. Merciless and mirthful, Seduced and Abandoned skewers Sicilian social customs and pompous patriarchies with a sly, devilish grin.

Special Features:

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* New interviews with screenwriters Furio Scarpelli and Luciano Vincenzoni and Italian film scholar Mario Sesti
* Interviews with Stefania Sandrelli and Lando Buzzanca
* Stefania Sandrelli screen test
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A new essay by film scholar Irene Bignardi
Old 05-18-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the covers Bus!!

But Germi's cover is just horrible, and the girl on the right hardly even looks like Stefania (I assume that's her)!! Looking at the extras - also not much to be excited (the Italian disc is barebones so at least there is something on the R1 disc). Looks like another "Divorce"-treatment.....

Ciao,
Pro-B

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.