DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Munich 2-disc SE - sorta disappointing....

Old 05-03-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Munich 2-disc SE - sorta disappointing....

It's not bad, it's just... fluffy. I'll explain.

The package is attractive - a cut-out sleeve holding a 2-disc digi-pack, along with a thick booklet - the booklet looks nice but is rather superfluous, since all it contains are screen-shots from the movie and review quotes presented rather unimaginatively. It comes off like a marketing brochure.

The movie has a servicable transfer and audio (no dts). All the warning and FBI screens are skippable, thank God. The only extra on the first disc is a 4-minute intro by Spielberg.

The second disc gives you a straightforward menu of 6 items. Each item is a separate chapter having to do with a different stage of production. That's all well and good, but all of these "featurettes" have a very EPK-feel to them, with little to no substance. But I guess they can't do more than scratch the surface when the featurettes range from only 8-13 minutes each, for a total of around an hour.

There's some good material on there (maybe half an hour's worth), but it pales in comparison to most other single-disc special editions, much less double-disc ones.

I'm not gonna say it's not worth it, but it's definitely one of the less substantive 2-disc sets out there.
Old 05-04-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

too bad universal doesnt own the documentary that came out in 99 (sony does.)
Old 05-04-06, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks I'll skip the 2 disc now.
Old 05-04-06, 01:14 AM

Boy that is sad, I might have to pass as well...
Old 05-04-06, 01:41 AM

If only the single disc and 2 disc covers were swapped everything would be golden. But we're faced with an overpriced 2 disc set that looks nice, or a standard issued b grade movie rental cover which contains the essentials.
Old 05-04-06, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the quick review....

As much as I would like to get the more elaborate version.... the extra $12 could probably be spent better...like on another dvd.
Old 05-04-06, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm shocked. I've always felt that Spielberg's SEs were particularly well done and worth the extra expense -- even The Terminal!
Old 05-04-06, 02:54 AM

thanks for the reason to save my money. my bf is trying to get me to cut back on buying dvds. he hee.

-Kat
Old 05-04-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the heads up. Gonna switch to the single disc now. Ah, the old days when extras like these were considered "standard".
Old 05-04-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be getting the single-disc version, but then, I was going to do that anyway. At least now I know I'm not missing much.
Old 05-04-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks. I'm getting the 2-disc.
Old 05-04-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ugh. Looks like I'll be picking up the single-disc now. Thanks for the preview.
Old 05-04-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still getting the 2discer, even if it is disappointing, but thanks for the review.

MATT
Old 05-04-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It may be dissapointing but it sure looks nice from a packaging standpoint!
Old 05-04-06, 10:42 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
No offense to slop101's opinions or observations but you guys are really going to base your buying decision on just one poster's feelings?!
Old 05-04-06, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
No offense to slop101's opinions or observations but you guys are really going to base your buying decision on just one poster's feelings?!
It's not his feelings. He told us what is on the second disc, and some of us agree that it is an underwhelming amount of bonus material at best.

Fluff or not, an hour's worth of documentary isn't worth 15 extra bucks.
Old 05-04-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My need to get the 2-disc over the [usually] significantly cheaper 1-disc is waning -- I would rather place those extra funds toward another movie. I LOVED Munich in the theater, and was originally intending to buy the 2-disc version (regardless of reviews), but I just can't stomach playing into the marketing ploy any longer. I'd rather be a collector of movies, not a collector of "collectors editions."
Old 05-04-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks...sticking with the one disc.
Old 05-04-06, 11:23 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K
Not to sound like Tom Cruise on the Today show, but I think that's a rather glib statment, since you don't know the content of said documentary but whatever--it's becoming clear that this release will be very limited, so the less people buying it, the more I'm assured of getting ahold of a copy...
Old 05-04-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K
I can't speak for this specific documentary, but your absolute doesn't ring true to me. The limited edition of 'Bad Taste' came with only one half-hour documentary on the bonus disc, but that documentary was the single most inspiring making of doc I've ever seen, and worth the highly inflated price of the DVD alone (which is good, because the movie isn't).

Out of curiosity, did you buy the re-release of 'Jaws' which came with an extra hour's worth of documentary and cost $10-$15 more than the original release?
Old 05-04-06, 12:13 PM

it's becoming clear that this release will be very limited
In more ways than one....

1. No DTS
2. No commentaries (As expected from a Spielberg flick tho)
3. Only an 1 hour worth of extras spanning across 6 featurettes (like you said tho, we don't know the content of these featurettes)
4. No deleted scenes
5. No trailer

But that artwork sure makes up for the extra money you have to spend right? I guess to each his own but they could have done a lot better with this release...
Old 05-04-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Harold Wazzu
In more ways than one....

1. No DTS
5. No trailer
Universal used to be a big supporter of DTS, but they've been very flaky with it recently. They don't include it for two of the year's biggest movies - King Kong and Munich - but put it on a 40-year old movie driven strictly by dialog - To Kill a Mockingbird. I just don't get them. Additionally, what's up with not putting trailers on a DVD? They're probably the easiest things to include. What's even worse is when they don't include the trailers for the movie, but make sure they pack the disc with coming attractions and such.
Old 05-04-06, 12:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Additionally, what's up with not putting trailers on a DVD? They're probably the easiest things to include. What's even worse is when they don't include the trailers for the movie, but make sure they pack the disc with coming attractions and such.
Now, that's a complaint I can get behind 110%!
Old 05-04-06, 12:49 PM
Retired

Well, at least I can by the one disc and save some money now...
Old 05-04-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've noticed most recent Spielberg dvds have terrible extras. Minority Report and Artificial Intelligence, both of those releases are very short and have very EPK-style featurettes.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.