Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Trek TNG: price cut?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Trek TNG: price cut?

I noticed on amazon.com that the first three seasons of TNG are going for $52, but the remaining seasons are still over $100. Is this a permanent price cut for the first three seasons, and if so, when are the remaining seasons going to be cut?
Old 04-20-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sldvd
I noticed on amazon.com that the first three seasons of TNG are going for $52, but the remaining seasons are still over $100. Is this a permanent price cut for the first three seasons, and if so, when are the remaining seasons going to be cut?
it's probably perm, and they may or may not lower the rest.. they may have lowered the first few to get you hooked and hope you pay more to get the rest

if you don't already have 1-3, you can get all 7 seasons for for about 300 from overstock .. check dvdpriceseach.com (if you use the 10% off coupon and free shipping, even less .. or 315 from DDD, which would be less if you bought during 20% off sale)

even if you already own 1-3, all 7 seasons for 300 makes it about 42 bucks each.. if you have to buy em again, and resell em for 30 each, that's 90 bucks...you'd still have 1-7 for like 210 bucks which is damn good..

if you're a fan of DS9, they've lowered the MSRP for 1-3, but you can buy ALL 7 seasons for 300-315 depending on where you buy it and if it's on sale/etc

enterprise has not dropped in price, nor has TOS
Old 04-20-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,986 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Originally Posted by pilot
it's probably perm, and they may or may not lower the rest.. they may have lowered the first few to get you hooked and hope you pay more to get the rest
I would think that they would be lowering the prices on all of their Star Trek sets in the near future.

You're looking at twenty-eight seasons of television, twenty-two of which, currently retail for over one hundred dollars. And the current retail average for television seasons falls below fifty dollars.

Most stores I go into don't bother stocking any of the Star Trek sets... Best Buy and Circuit City and Suncoast and Borders don't make an effort to keep any of them in stock. When Paramount dropped the price of the TNG sets, I finally started seeing them in stores again after a couple of years of being MIA.

I'd wager that, at the high prices Paramount is asking, the sets are slow movers.
Old 04-21-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I would think that they would be lowering the prices on all of their Star Trek sets in the near future.

You're looking at twenty-eight seasons of television, twenty-two of which, currently retail for over one hundred dollars. And the current retail average for television seasons falls below fifty dollars.

Most stores I go into don't bother stocking any of the Star Trek sets... Best Buy and Circuit City and Suncoast and Borders don't make an effort to keep any of them in stock. When Paramount dropped the price of the TNG sets, I finally started seeing them in stores again after a couple of years of being MIA.

I'd wager that, at the high prices Paramount is asking, the sets are slow movers.
Paramount has always banked on the fact that people who love Star Trek will (and have) paid almost anything for the DVDs.. They had a survey a few months back asking about pricing info, and many were surprised they lowered the prices on what they have sofar. You would think they would lower them all, but in the past, many believed that none would ever be lowered, so it surprised many that they did...

I guess it's possible they may lower the rest, and they probably should considering they've been out quite sometime, but again, it's Paramount, so any and everything is possible..

Personally I think it's just a new strategy to get people to buy who haven't done so yet..
Old 04-21-06, 05:08 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was thinking about buying the season sets because of the price drop. But then the fan collections started coming out, these suited me a lot more
Old 04-21-06, 08:26 PM

I bought all the TNG sets when they released, but would love to go ahead and buy the DS9 sets. Hopefully they will drop seasons 4-7 b/c that's when the show started to really kick in.
Old 04-22-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 746 Posts
Well I have all of ST TNG and got most of DS9 thanks to Columbia house. But they I really really need season 6 of DS9. I have all of them but 6. I really wish they would drop the price on all of them.
Old 04-22-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm hoping TOS will eventually drop. I just can't bring myself to pay $100 for Star Trek or HBO sets or anything for that matter, escpecially when similar sets of other shows, often with even more special features, are selling for half the price.