Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Underworld (Japanese version)???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-06, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Underworld (Japanese version)???

Just came from Walmart and bought Wolfcreek and it came with Underworld. But it was a Japanese version and wasn't about vampires or werewolfs. it was 6 horror stories. Anyone ever heard of this movie?? I tried IMDB and nothing came up
Old 04-11-06, 08:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
well now I'm intrigued, there's a series called Japanese Horror Anthology Vol. 1 and 2:

Vol. I
01. Meinichi
02. Last Day As A Teenager
03. Ghost House

Vol II
01. Wooden Clogs with The Red Straps
02. Cruel Kidnapping
03. Desire to Kill Anyone That Passes

yet I don't see that director Hideo Nakata was involved with that series.

however from Anime News Network there's this:

Hideo Nakata's Curse, Death & Spirit Available Now
anounced on 2006-03-17 09:01
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before "Ringu" and "The Ring 2", director Hideo Nakata made a little gem for Japanese television called "Curse, Death & Spirit". It was a three-part anthology of short horror stories that appeared on a show called "True Horror Stories".

Story 1, “The Cursed Doll,” opens on Satomi, a girl who hears a voice calling her in her dreams. As she follows the voice, she finds that a doll appears to be the source—a doll carrying the spirit of her dead sister.

Story 2, “The Spirit of the Dead,” revolves around a widow who, following the death of her husband, takes her son on a camping trip. The family outing is disrupted by the appearance of a female specter who believes the boy to be her own.

Story 3, “The Haunted Inn,” begins when three girls decide to take a vacation at a traditional Japanese inn. Unaware of the tragedy that occurred there, they find themselves in the presence of a spirit who forces them to repeat the events of that day.

If you're a Nakata fan, or just harbor a love for Asian horror, make sure you check out CURSE, DEATH & SPIRIT -- available online and at retail stores everywhere!

ASIAVISIONFILMS.COM GOES LIVE

AsiaVision, the Asian live-action film label from Urban Vision Entertainment, officially launches with the release of its first DVD title, Hideo Nakata's CURSE, DEATH & SPIRIT and the unveiling of the official AsiaVision website -- www.asiavisionfilms.com. The site is loaded with the information, pictures, trailers, and news you'll need for AsiaVision's releases, including CURSE, DEATH & SPIRIT, KILL DEVIL, KOKKURI, and AsiaVision's upcoming theatrical release -- AZUMI! There are still new sections of the website coming, so keep checking back and let us know what you think!

Last edited by Giles; 04-11-06 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-11-06, 09:07 AM

yeah after looking at the packaging...it says J. Horror Anthology: Underworld.
but it doesn't say vol1 or 2. So maybe they put them both on this dvd because it says 6 short stories.
Old 04-11-06, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by marcellusk
yeah after looking at the packaging...it says J. Horror Anthology: Underworld.
but it doesn't say vol1 or 2. So maybe they put them both on this dvd because it says 6 short stories.
does the DVD include the title of the shorts?
Old 04-11-06, 09:32 AM

yeah it was the names and a brief descrip. of each story. I'm at work(working had as you can see) and it's in the car I can get it and post the names of the stories if you want?
Old 04-11-06, 09:53 AM

yeah it was the names and a brief descrip. of each story. I'm at work(working had as you can see) and it's in the car I can get it and post the names of the stories if you want?
at your convience.
Old 04-11-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Walmart had "Wolfcreek - Unrated" alone or the two pack with "Underworld" for the same price. I picked up the two pack but I'm assuming Underworld will be awful........
Old 04-11-06, 01:55 PM

underworld has these stories
Chain mail
Left behind the mountain
Tatto
Viewfinders memory
guardian angel
Mortuary
Old 04-11-06, 02:32 PM

thanks, marcellusk - well that opens up a new can of worms... hmmmmm
Old 04-11-06, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
thanks, marcellusk - well that opens up a new can of worms... hmmmmm
how come?
Old 04-11-06, 02:51 PM

how come?
well unless they are retitled - none of the aforementioned titles I have listed from the Japanese Horror Anthology series or the 'Curse, Death & Spirit: Anthology' actually match up. (?)
Old 04-11-06, 02:54 PM

when i get home i can post the descriptions of the stories. but it deffinatley says J. Horror Anthology:Underworld and is in Japanese with English subtitles
Old 04-11-06, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by JaxComet
My Walmart had "Wolfcreek - Unrated" alone or the two pack with "Underworld" for the same price. I picked up the two pack but I'm assuming Underworld will be awful........
I assumed the same but I'll take a chance on a blind buy when it's free. $13.87 for both and fun with dick and jane/cable guy for $13,87
Old 04-11-06, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
well unless they are retitled - none of the aforementioned titles I have listed from the Japanese Horror Anthology series or the 'Curse, Death & Spirit: Anthology' actually match up. (?)
Underworld is a 2 volume set and if I remember right, it's this one that comes with the movie

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Last edited by chemosh6969; 04-11-06 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-11-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmmm ... is this Wolf Creek set supposed to come with the mainstream "Underworld" (Beckinsale)?
Old 04-12-06, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by chemosh6969
Underworld is a 2 volume set and if I remember right, it's this one that comes with the movie

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...v=glance&n=130
yeah that's the one. The cover is different though.
Old 04-12-06, 10:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Hmmm ... is this Wolf Creek set supposed to come with the mainstream "Underworld" (Beckinsale)?
No, it comes with what it is supposed to.
Old 04-13-06, 12:29 AM
Cool New Member

I picked up the two pack yesterday with high hopes for Underworld. I figured that if it was packaged with Wolf Creek, it had to be similar in some way. I mean, the Capote/In Cold Blood package and the Fun w/ Dick and Jane set makes sense enough, right? Well, I was wrong. Underworld is absolutely horrible. Low production values, poor effects and hack acting are all you get here. It's like a really bad after school special or something. I'll be trading this one to Half Price Books as soon as I can. But Wolf Creek is just as good as it was in the theater, if not better. Regardless, someone explain to me why these two are packaged together. I cannot figure it out.
Old 04-13-06, 07:53 AM

Still haven't gotten around to watching either one yet. I'm not sure what reasoning they use when packing dvds.
Old 04-13-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah that's the one. The cover is different though.
What cover did you get? I got this today and that is the cover on mine (and all of the ones Wal-Mart had as well).

This two pack was the exact same price as Wolf Creek by itself, so I figured why not.

I thought they packaged these two together because of a studio connection, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If they were pairing just two movies together, wouldn't the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre be a better fit with Wolf Creek?
Old 04-14-06, 03:51 AM
Cool New Member

TCM would definitely have been the better choice. They even compare Wolf Creek to TCM in one of the blurb quotes on the back of the case. Anybody else watch that piece of crap Underworld yet? Let me know what you think.