DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier, Bram Stoker’s Dracula and More HD Coppola (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/461587-apocalypse-now-complete-dossier-bram-stoker%92s-dracula-more-hd-coppola.html)

Geist 04-07-06 08:05 PM

Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier, Bram Stoker’s Dracula and More HD Coppola

<i>.Last year, Aubry took the DVD-production arm of Coppola’s American Zoetrope and turned it into the pure-play DVD production company ZAP Zoetrope Aubry Productions. There he works on film and soundtrack restoration, artistic design and bonus content productions.

For the past 15 months, Aubry and his team have been working on the upcoming special edition DVD release — Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier, a sort of “kitchen sink” version of an Apocalypse Now DVD.

It will include both the original and Redux versions of the film, as well as a wealth of new documentaries that dive deep into the editing, the sound, the music and other aspects of the film’s production.

Aubry is filming some of the bonus features in high-def, for this and for another project, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, which will also include a special “art student” viewing option.

“Whenever moments in the film appear that have interesting references to art, a button will appear,” he said. “They can select it, and the film will stop, and they’ll see the storyboard or the painting the setting is based on.”</i>

http://www.videostoremag.com/news/ht...rticle_id=8903

Drexl 04-07-06 08:10 PM

I hope we get AN in 2.35:1 this time.

Mr. Cinema 04-07-06 09:04 PM

A new Bram Stoker's Dracula release. YES!

joliom 04-07-06 09:45 PM

Here's hoping they include Hearts of Darkness in the new Apocalypse SE.

dsa_shea 04-07-06 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by joliom

Hopefully it and the kitchen sink.

Cameron 04-07-06 11:02 PM

can i get it in a wine bottle?

Julie Walker 04-07-06 11:08 PM

This is great news about Apocalypse Now with the report of both versions being included,along with a Dracula SE finally!

Now I kind of wish I didn't end up buying Redux when it was released....and the original version for $26+ tax a couple months ago!

Oh well,it's not too bad I guess. Since the SE Apocalypse release so far looks like what I have been asking for since Redux came out. Now if it is released in its O.A.R. this time(fat chance),that would seal the deal!

nitin77 04-07-06 11:23 PM

if thats happens, I'll be a very happy man.

Been waiting for an updated transfer of Apocalypse Now TE, Redux is a far far inferior film and I was always annoyed that the transfer on that was better than the TE.

Julie Walker 04-08-06 12:24 AM

Maybe the transfer issue is not of being 'better' or 'worse'. But how the director intended each version to look? Afterall,the tones of the two versions are very different.

I don't mind the look of the TE of the film. And after watching it a few weeks ago. I'm glad to own it. Since I prefer that verison far more than Redux. It really does move better without dragging.

Living Dead 04-08-06 05:04 AM

I never really liked Apocalypse Now, but a new version of Dracula would be a welcome addition to my collection.

Joe Molotov 04-08-06 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by joliom

That would be another VHS tape I could retire.

Filmmaker 04-08-06 11:22 AM

That would be another LaserDisc I could retire.

digitalfreaknyc 04-08-06 11:56 AM

Wonder if this extra material for Dracula is going to be included in the Blu-Ray version? Probably not.

Already a double-dip planned for HD ;)

Dan Average 04-08-06 12:15 PM

Aubry is filming some of the bonus features in high-def, for this and for another project, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, which will also include a special “art student” viewing option.
That would seem to suggest the HD version will have at least some of the bonus features.

digitalfreaknyc 04-08-06 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Average
That would seem to suggest the HD version will have at least some of the bonus features.

Too bad none of the extras from the Criterion edition though.

Egon's Ghost 04-08-06 01:21 PM

I saw Redux in cinemas when it came out, a wonderful experience.

Anyway, I don't have any of the DVDs; what's this about not being in 2.35:1?

ThatGuamGuy 04-08-06 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Geist
<i>It will include both the original and Redux versions of the film, as well as a wealth of new documentaries that dive deep into the editing, the sound, the music and other aspects of the film’s production.</i>

To me, this sentence doesn't bode well for 'Hearts of Darkness' inclusion.

Didn't Coppola say way back on the original 'Apocalypse' disc that he wanted to do a commentary for the movie?

Also, can anybody tell me what features the Criterion LD of 'Dracula' had on it?

PatrickMcCart 04-08-06 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
I saw Redux in cinemas when it came out, a wonderful experience.

Anyway, I don't have any of the DVDs; what's this about not being in 2.35:1?

The cinematographer and Coppola want the best compromise between framing and resolution, so they opt to crop the film to 2:1.

digitalfreaknyc 04-08-06 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Also, can anybody tell me what features the Criterion LD of 'Dracula' had on it?

Commentary by director Francis Ford Coppola, visual effects supervisor Roman Coppola, and Oscar-winning makeup artist Greg Cannom
A separate music and effects audio track, showcasing the film's Oscar-winning sound effects editing
An editing workshop that allows you to put together your own scene
Scene-by-scene special effects analysis
A candid look at the film's production, including rehearsal footage, behind-the-scenes set footage, and costume and pre-production sketches
The theatrical trailer
An analysis of the film's artistic influences and a look at the historic Dracula legend

Dan Average 04-08-06 01:52 PM

Actually the "art student" feature sounds like a more sophisticated version of the "Artistic Influences" section on the LD. The only feature on the LD that was really "Criterion-specific" is the commentary -- the HBO making-of excerpted on the Criterion release could be carried over, the Cinefex article on the special effects could be included if they're willing to pay for it, and the historical background and various still frame galleries (costume design, storyboards, etc.) could be recreated in some fashion, as could the editing workshop (which would probably work a lot better on Blu-ray than it did on LD). I suspect they could even license the commentary from Criterion if they really, really wanted it.

GuruTwo 04-08-06 02:46 PM

Actually, I wouldn't completely rule it out. Paramount only licenses "Apocalypse Now" (it was released theatrically by United Artists) and it's actually owned by Coppola's American Zoetrope. Similar to how LucasFilm actually handled the "Star Wars" releases and Fox just distributed them, Zoetrope is actually producing these DVD's.

Sony might not be able to work out a deal with Criterion for "Dracula" but American Zoetrope might. They've done non-Coppola work for Criterion DVD's so the relationship is definitely there.

digitalfreaknyc 04-08-06 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
Actually, I wouldn't completely rule it out. Paramount only licenses "Apocalypse Now" (it was released theatrically by United Artists) and it's actually owned by Coppola's American Zoetrope. Similar to how LucasFilm actually handled the "Star Wars" releases and Fox just distributed them, Zoetrope is actually producing these DVD's.

Sony might not be able to work out a deal with Criterion for "Dracula" but American Zoetrope might. They've done non-Coppola work for Criterion DVD's so the relationship is definitely there.

Dracula was the Criterion. AN was not.

ReduxGuy 04-08-06 07:24 PM

All I want is for Apocalypse Now to be 4-5-discs (one for the theatrical, two for Redux, and 1 or 2 discs of bonuses), hi-def, DD 5.1 EX and DTS-ES, and Hearts of Darkness.

However, I don't want to pawn my original copy of the DVD as it's signed by Walter Murch.

MasterCXtreme 04-08-06 07:37 PM

Wow, great news. Never got around to picking up either version, but I'll definitley splurge on this one. :up:

GuruTwo 04-08-06 07:51 PM

Dracula was the Criterion. AN was not.
I know, I was just using it as an example of the relationship AZ has with studios. You can see that I was specifically referring to "Dracula" in the second paragraph.

My point is this: Paramount and Sony might not be willing to deal with Criterion but American Zoetrope has worked with them on many occasions and they are currently producing the "Dracula" DVD so I think seeing those Criterion extras on a Sony DVD is within the realm of possibility in this particular case.