DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier, Bram Stoker’s Dracula and More HD Coppola (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/461587-apocalypse-now-complete-dossier-bram-stoker%92s-dracula-more-hd-coppola.html)

Josh Z 01-26-07 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
What does the "Beware" poster look like?

Best image of it I could Google:

http://www.realmovienews.com/movieim...poster_0_t.jpg

digitalfreaknyc 01-26-07 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z

Ahhh yes. very interesting ;)

ReduxGuy 01-26-07 11:41 PM

Try this:

http://www.impawards.com/1992/dracula_ver1.html

digitalfreaknyc 01-27-07 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy

ahhhh wow. I'd never seen that one before.

Still prefer the one for my DVD set.

ReduxGuy 01-27-07 04:28 AM

Well, it's a beautiful piece.

And like I said, I would know. I spent two years looking for that one-sheet. And now, I have it (and the beautiful one sheet for Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - http://www.impawards.com/1994/mary_s...tein_ver2.html) hanging in my apartment.

Josh Z 01-27-07 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy

The funny thing is that I remember seeing that poster and thinking, "Beware Thanksgiving?"

Duh Vuh Duh 04-11-07 02:37 PM

Sorry to bump this, but thought I would just ask a quick question and didn't think it needed its own thread.

Apocalypse Now was a blind buy for me and I'm about to watch it, is it better to watch the 79 version first or the 01 Redux first?

any help appreciated.

fryinpan1 04-11-07 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
Sorry to bump this, but thought I would just ask a quick question and didn't think it needed its own thread.

Apocalypse Now was a blind buy for me and I'm about to watch it, is it better to watch the 79 version first or the 01 Redux first?

any help appreciated.

Watch the 1979 version first. I think extended cuts always feel excessively long if I have not seen the original or theatrical release first.

Dubya 04-11-07 02:46 PM

Yes by all means watch the original first. While it was great to see the additional footage in Redux, I feel the original is the superior version.

rexinnih 04-12-07 09:04 AM

Apocalypse Now is one of my favorite movies. I agree with watching the original version first and then Redux.

Richard Malloy 04-12-07 09:24 AM

And don't feel particularly compelled to watch "Redux". The most anticipated scene (the French plantation) is an eye-glazing set-piece of conventionality, featuring a cringe-worthy dinner table exchange of cliches and sloganeering that I suppose is meant to pass as political discourse, and an extremely silly love interest subplot for Willard, replete with cheesy music and dewy eye contact. And that's the best of the additions. The pathetic additional bunny sequence would barely pass as a worthwhile deleted scene, meandering far too long before winding up with Clean's zinger punchline. And other silly throwaway bits that Coppola larded in do little but undercut the aloof, more-than-slightly malevolent personality of Willard as we've always known him (that is, prior to Coppola's bright idea to recut).

The original cut doesn't quite achieve perfection - this is a messy, sprawling, somewhat less-than-the-sum-of-its-parts movie even in its best incarnation - but you should familiarize yourself with the original cut first, if only to understand how distracting and detracting are the "new" scenes.

BuckNaked2k 04-12-07 09:34 AM

I love this film, and also vastly prefer the Theatrical Cut over Redux.

P.S. - When oh when, will we be able to see this in it's OAR? :scratch2:

Josh Z 04-12-07 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
And other silly throwaway bits that Coppola larded in do little but undercut the aloof, more-than-slightly malevolent personality of Willard as we've always known him (that is, prior to Coppola's bright idea to recut).

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. You have to take the theatrical cut and Redux as completely different movies. They have completely different themes and motivations and character development.

I prefer the theatrical version, but I liked Redux for what it is (though the plantation scene is pretty weak).

naitram 04-12-07 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I think you're looking at it the wrong way. You have to take the theatrical cut and Redux as completely different movies. They have completely different themes and motivations and character development.

I prefer the theatrical version, but I liked Redux for what it is (though the plantation scene is pretty weak).

I agree, though I've only seen the Redux 2 or 3 times since it's release. I don't mind the plantation scenes so much, though they do slow down the pace. But the extra scenes with the Bunnies is irritating at best.

Frankly, half the reason I even watch the Redux sometimes is for the better picture and sound quality. But I have the two separate releases - don't know what the Complete Dossier is like.

slop101 04-12-07 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
And that's the best of the additions.

No way man, that's like the worst addition. I'd say the best stuff in the Redux were the added scenes with Brando, especially the one where he's reading from the newspapers.

Jaymole 04-12-07 12:56 PM

No way man, that's like the worst addition. I'd say the best stuff in the Redux were the added scenes with Brando, especially the one where he's reading from the newspapers.
I agree

Richard Malloy 04-12-07 02:24 PM

Let me rephrase to say that the French plantation scene was the most anticipated addition and by far the largest single addition to the film. It was the one that had gained the most noteriety from clandestine viewings of the various workprints that had surfaced and circulated over the years. But "best" was a poor choice of words; it's easily the most disruptive addition, if only because it's the longest and happens to come at an unfortunate moment where it brings the flow of the film to an utter standstill (whereas the Do Long bridge sequence of the original cut provided a great flow into the upriver unknown).

The worst for me was either the added Bunny scene or the stealing Kilgore's board subplot. I agree that the added Brando scenes are the least disruptive and somewhat interesting, but I'll acknowledge that for many they remove too much of the mystery of Kurtz, bringing him not only out of the shadows but into the light of day.

I still don't think seeing the "Redux" cut should be considered in any way mandatory. Viewing it was the only way I could see a restored print on the bigscreen, but in many ways I wish I'd never seen it. Even though I try to dismiss it from my mind, it has lessoned my opinion of the film.

Duh Vuh Duh 04-12-07 02:44 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I assumed starting with the original anyway, and I'm glad that most of you agree.

Just finished the movie and I must say it is quite a lot to take in and I think I'm still processing it.

obladioblada 04-12-07 09:20 PM

damn. i thought this was back up because there was word on the dracula re-release.

BuckNaked2k 04-12-07 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by obladioblada
damn. i thought this was back up because there was word on the dracula re-release.

Me too. This thread pops up and teases us every so often. :grumble:

FRwL 04-12-07 11:51 PM

Also the helicopter sequence, one of the greatest action sequences ever, is topped off with the iconic napalm speech by Kilgore -- a perfect scene ender. In Redux the momentum is botched when it cuts to comical surf board stealing.