Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ren & Stimpy: The Lost Episodes ----> 7/18/06

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 08:17 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TJK18
Should I wait for the big box set or buy the rest of the sets separately?
If you're going to correct someone, do a thorough job!

Last edited by baracine; 07-08-06 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-08-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by baracine
If you're going to correct someone, do a thorough job!
Old 07-08-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i watched the first 2 eps and some of the third on disc one.

i grinned a couple of times but mostly i groaned alot of times.

naked beach frenzy is not funny.

and stimpy's pregnant, who couldnt see that one coming.
just awful.

being restrained by the "network" as referred to by john k. forced them to be more creative.

there's nothing creative here.
i dont think a 13 year old boy would find this stuff funny.

even the intros are bad as it is johm k. rambling on for far too long about each ep.
Old 07-08-06, 10:12 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by whotony
i watched the first 2 eps and some of the third on disc one...
The thing is: As rambling and unprofessional as John K. was and probably still is today, he created, God only knows how, two characters, Ren and Stimpy, which will live forever in the imagination of the people who were exposed to the first episodes when they came out and who bonded with them. They are totally original characters even if they have distant roots in commedia dell'arte and Warner Bros. characters. Ren is the epitome of the grouch and Stimpy is the definitive idiot with a good heart, a standard to which any would-be idiot must still be measured today.

See: http://victorian.fortunecity.com/rus.../rsorigin.htm#

Last edited by baracine; 07-08-06 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-09-06, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know. I think I will stick to the Nickelodeon episodes. Mostly because Ren & Stimpy are NOT GAY! And the fact that (to me) Ren & Stimpy was not an adult show. They weren't gay on Nick, but they were on Spike TV, which to me made the series be terrible. Other than my opinions about the shows, correct me if I'm wrong here. I liked ALL of the Nickelodeon episodes BETTER than ANY on Spike TV. I think Ren & Stimpy should be a show that families can watch. I am 30 years old and I think that some cartoons should be for adults, just not this one. I don't consider this a thread crap, because I loved Ren & Stimpy when they aired on Nickelodeon.
Old 07-09-06, 10:47 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by marioxb
I don't know. I think I will stick to the Nickelodeon episodes. Mostly because Ren & Stimpy are NOT GAY! And the fact that (to me) Ren & Stimpy was not an adult show. They weren't gay on Nick, but they were on Spike TV, which to me made the series be terrible. Other than my opinions about the shows, correct me if I'm wrong here. I liked ALL of the Nickelodeon episodes BETTER than ANY on Spike TV. I think Ren & Stimpy should be a show that families can watch. I am 30 years old and I think that some cartoons should be for adults, just not this one. I don't consider this a thread crap, because I loved Ren & Stimpy when they aired on Nickelodeon.
If you like Ren & Stimpy, you'll want THE WHOLE THING! It's an irresistible urge, like pushing that BIG, RED, SHINY BUTTON!!!

You know you waaaaant it...
Old 07-09-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by marioxb

My wife and I watch the late night repeats on Nicktoons, and the gay subtext is still there. I do agree though, that being slightly suppressed/oppressed made John K. be a little more sly and subtle about it.

I am looking forward to the complete uncut collection though. If I don't care for all the AP eps, those discs just won't get played as much.
Old 07-09-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by baracine
The thing is: As rambling and unprofessional as John K. was and probably still is today, he created, God only knows how, two characters, Ren and Stimpy, which will live forever in the imagination of the people who were exposed to the first episodes when they came out and who bonded with them. They are totally original characters even if they have distant roots in
commedia dell'arte and Warner Bros. characters. Ren is the epitome of the grouch and Stimpy is the definitive idiot with a good heart, a standard to which any would-be idiot must still be measured today.
absolutley, but only for the nick eps that he was involved with.
after he was fired there was still good stuff though.

when it first appeared it was truly groundbreaking and funny.
Old 07-25-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been a loyal fan of Ren and Stimpy since they first started airing on Nick back in the early 90's and I loved the first 2 seasons. I picked up the lost eps out of sheer morbid curiosity and now I kinda wish I never did.

These new episodes totally tainted my past image of Ren and Stimpy. Now of course that image wasn't all that clean to begin with but to me they had a bit of innocence to them. Kinda like a pair of young kids who pick their noses, love potty humor and are naive about the world around them.

Being a die hard fan I took a chance and now I regret it. This is not what fans have been begging for all these years as John K. mentioned in his interview.

Stick with the first release for now until a true uncut collection of the first 2 seasons is released. I advise to stay away from these adult party episodes. I felt sad when I watched them. It felt like I didn't even know Ren and Stimpy. Where did they go wrong?