Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

When Is Enough, Enough (re DVD collections and how many is too much)?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

When Is Enough, Enough (re DVD collections and how many is too much)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have more than a handful of unwatched DVDs laying around, and if any of those unwatched DVDs aren't fairly recent purchases, then I'd say you're suffering from a bout of irrational consumerism.

As a corrollary, if you haven't watched a particular DVD in the past year, then that's a good indication that you may not need to own it. If it's become just a trophy up on the shelf that's more likely to gather dust then get viewed, then perhaps you've drifted away from the reason you got into this - a love of film - and are becoming something more like a compulsive collector. This kind of activity can lead to irrational decision-making.

Likewise, impulsive purchases just because something may be on sale are in indication of "too much". You don't want it all that much, certainly don't need it... but you can't help but think "what a great price!" If that's sorta how the decision-making process is going, then I'd start questioning my purchasing decisions.
Old 04-07-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
As a corrollary, if you haven't watched a particular DVD in the past year, then that's a good indication that you may not need to own it.
So, if you watch one movie per day, are you only allowed to like 365 movies (364 on leap year)? If you like 366 movies, you're out of luck since at least one of those won't be watched in the year.

Renting wouldn't really solve the problem since you may not know until the disc goes in the player which movie you would watch on a given night.

To me, a DVD collection gives that kind of flexibility (like a library). You can peruse it and find just the thing you're interested in-- at any given time.

I do use Netflix which allows me to view discs that I know I don't want to buy and to pre-screen potentials.

Of course, anyone who owns more DVDs than I do at any given time is suffering from irrational consumerism.

Last edited by awmurray; 04-07-06 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-07-06, 01:46 PM

I have about 400 titles now. I started with all the great deals in 1999-2000 and have since picked up several more titles for $5 or less through Columbia House, etc. At this price point it costs about the same to own the movie as to rent it. My main problem is that I have filled 2 bookcases and now space is an issue. This lack of suitable storage space will likely be the main determinant on whether my collection increases any further.
Old 04-07-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a corrollary, if you haven't watched a particular DVD in the past year, then that's a good indication that you may not need to own it.
That doesn't work for me. I enjoy repeat viewings much more when there's a sizable gap in between them.
Old 04-07-06, 03:39 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto.
Old 04-07-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have more than a handful of unwatched DVDs laying around, and if any of those unwatched DVDs aren't fairly recent purchases, then I'd say you're suffering from a bout of irrational consumerism.
I'd say that's a great definition. For you.

It's like the people with 500 movies complaining that those with a thousand are out of their minds for owning so many. They never stop to think those with 100 are saying the same about them and those with 5 say that about those with 100.

I'd say as long as the collection isn't having negative consequences in other areas of a person's life, then "too much" is a limit that must be defined on an individual level. It's not up to anyone else to draw that line in the sand.
Old 04-08-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I really like that guys definition, but even liking his definition is hard because hey, if you've got some impulse or irrational consumerism issues, that's part of some sort of an addiction. Right now I've got a list of everything I want, and because of things going on with me recently, have had some time where I couldn't quite afford what I needed to buy in the DVD department. So, it's not effecting my life in a negative manner, because I always take care of what I need to take care of before I ever buy any DVD's on any week, but I certainly feel the pangs of being upset from time to time when I can't afford all that I want.

It's true that everyone's personal opinion really has a lot to do with what constitutes a 'problem' for them when it comes to 'when is enough, enough?', but I think that as far as an ideal logic to follow... the guy above said it simply that if you don't have enough time on your hands to watch all that you have, then why buy it in the first place? How many of us have DVD's sitting on the shelf because we bought them for some uknown reason, and never got around to watching them because we're too caught up in everything else being released? You have it on the shelf to watch, but unless you were ready for it, you basically threw your money down the drain. I'm guilty of this. I have numerous TV on DVD boxsets I need to catch up on, and some movies in my collection I need to watch as well. I can think of one that's been sitting in my collection for two years that I haven't watched yet.

The extra money you could save just by waiting and buying things on a 'I have time to watch it now' basis leaves your money each week open for paying off things you may need to pay off... or may just give you that much more money weekly to have to go out and do things with people. It's really an inspiring thought but I don't know if I can follow that advice for long, lol.
Old 04-08-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

*in my best drunk voice* Damnit, I'll tell you when I've had enough!
Old 04-08-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
of course it's a personal thing, and if you think you're getting out of control you probably are for you. I only have about 77 dvds and 15 or so boxsets, and after I thought about it I probably don't need everything I have. That's just me. So I try to wait to buy things now and rent everything else. This especially comes in handy for movies that would be "nice to have" but aren't "must haves". Example would be Cabin Fever for me. I liked the movie, but the comm was really fun and something I would listen to again. I waited to buy it and found it in the wal-mart dumpbin for 5.50. Even if I only ever watch it once, it was worth it.
Old 04-08-06, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sanitarium
I stopped when the good movies stopped. I have about 500 DVDs and I could easily ditch 200 of them because I'll never watch them again. I no longer buy a new movie every week like a used to. I never rented a DVD till I had about 400 and realized what a waste of money it was to buy a movie I'd only watch once. There's a few movies here and there that'll I buy but as it is I have more then enough.
When I first got into DVDs I use to buy movies all the time just because they were there, now I'm a bit more picky. For me it was the thrill of getting DVDs, fortunately that noverty has worn off.
I am with both of these. I have around 700 DVD's and haven't purchased any for around a year now since I knew HD-DVD & Blu-Ray were coming. I am now getting rid of the DVDs I bought but never watch, or movies I bought because they were cheap, watched once and won't watch again. I am even tempted to sell of me entire collection to recapture the thrill when HD-DVD & Blu-Ray arrives as once I had seen HDTV through my projector, watching SD DVD's is hard I have placed my ordered for the Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player, and come June will purchase a Blu-Ray Player when it is released.
Old 04-08-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm with gutwrencher. I'm building a library, and therefore have titles that I may only visit every couple of years. I have such a diverse taste in film that 100-200, or even 500 titles isn't going to cut it for me. I enjoy tons of films, and there are new ones coming out all the time (whether new release or catalogue), so I'll never stop buying in whatever medium is around.

I just passed 1500 titles, and I'm nowhere near complete either. I add things to the library weekly (sometimes several times a week), and don't regret the money spent at all. About once every couple years, I'll go through and prune some titles, and trade them to get some new titles. Since I don't rent, and never go to the theatre, almost everything (as far as new releases are concerned) is a blind buy. I read reviews and try to make an educated guess on if I'll like it or not, and I'm rarely disappointed.
Old 04-08-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I read reviews and try to make an educated guess on if I'll like it or not, and I'm rarely disappointed.
Right on. You see, I've never really grabbed hold of the blind buy thing. I'm not going into it blind just because I have not seen the film. I can see where people who are not into films as much as I may not do any research on the titles and pick it up not knowing anything about it's quality, the director, the genre, etc. Maybe thats what they mean by blind buy. If so, sounds like a possible waste of $ and at the very least, a roll of the dice. I prefer to educate myself through research to avoid such burns. However, the bottom line remains that for me, I'm on top of it enough to know what I'm getting. My eyes remain wide open on buys. Besides, blind buy makes it sound like I have a handicap.

Thats why building my personal library is fairly easy. I have deep knowledge and passion that has me prepared and organized 24/7. My lists are complete as to what I need and when I plan to add it to the vault. I know whats out, whats coming out now through the end of summer. But it's the passion for film that has me knowing already what I like, don't like, need, don't need. Not much guessing around here.

Old 04-09-06, 04:41 AM

Based on this information, the optimal size for your DVD collection is:
19844 titles

To get there, you'd need to buy 20.2 new titles per month from now on.
Old 04-09-06, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always read alot of reviews before buying it as well. I have almost 1,850 titles in my collection. Out of them, six so far have been buys that I regreted getting. My dvd buying has gone down but only because there are fewer new releases coming out that catch my eye.

I don't have a nagging wife or GF, don't have shelf space issues or a lack of money either. So I will therefore keep adding to my collection as I see fit.
Old 04-09-06, 10:21 AM

I have been collecting for 6 years and have 599 titles. I do periodically weed out ones i would not probably watch again but for the most part I love every movie I have.
Old 04-09-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
When I say it's enough. When the library is complete....or as close to complete as possible...for MY needs.

I'm closing in on 2,300 titles....and it's still missing many essential additions.
From 5/30/04:

gutwrencher:

I'm building my perfect library of films, and at 1,587 titles...I've got a long way to go...even at 10 or so a week. based on my "needed" and "most wanted" lists...I'll top off around 2,000 titles...maybe a little more. I'm gettin' there.

me:

gutwrencher a year from now...

I'm building my perfect library of films, and at 2,087 titles...I've got a long way to go...even at 10 or so a week. based on my "needed" and "most wanted" lists...I'll top off around 2,500 titles...maybe a little more. I'm gettin' there.

gutwrencher:

damn...you know me and my problem all too well!

I'll laugh if you end up with around 2,500. Am I good or what.
Old 04-10-06, 03:39 AM

Collecting is an irrational obsession, why bother to justify it?

When I purchased records, I did it as much for the artwork as the music, CDs were artless and I just downloaded.

When I purchased DVDs, I did it as much for the artwork, booklets and boxsets, as for the movie, I never bothered with VHS tapes as they too were artless.

I wonder what the packaging for HD and Bluray will be like?
Old 04-10-06, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When people are buying stuff that they will never get to watch...
Old 04-10-06, 04:33 AM

I haven't been around DVD Talk that long, but I don't understand why this question pops up every few months. Well, I do, but I think the OPs already know the answer.

OP, your age and income have a huge impact on how many DVDs you own. Take a 22 year old and a 35 year old. Give them the same income, and the 35 year old has years of buying on the younger guy. Give the 35 year old twice the income, and the comparison is even more skewed.

I have about 300 titles, with probably 30 or so on my FS list. Two months ago I had almost 100 more. I've sold/traded ~80 and picked up 20. When I was close to 400 I decided to weed out the ones I'd already watched a few times and wouldn't miss. I think 300 is a good number for now, but even if I sell everything on my FS list, new releases will be added. Unless you sell one for every one you buy, your question is also directed at yourself, grasshopper.

Bookmark this thread in your favorites and come back in 10 years. I bet the number of DVDs you own will look ridiculous to someone just signing up to DVD Talk in 2016.
Old 04-17-06, 10:31 AM

Many different and interesting answers!!!
Old 04-17-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ShallowHal
I have about 300 titles, with probably 30 or so on my FS list. Two months ago I had almost 100 more. I've sold/traded ~80 and picked up 20. When I was close to 400 I decided to weed out the ones I'd already watched a few times and wouldn't miss. I think 300 is a good number for now, but even if I sell everything on my FS list, new releases will be added. Unless you sell one for every one you buy, your question is also directed at yourself, grasshopper.

Bookmark this thread in your favorites and come back in 10 years. I bet the number of DVDs you own will look ridiculous to someone just signing up to DVD Talk in 2016.
When I started (1997) I thought I would never own more that 500 movies. By the end of 1998 I had 200. By 1999 I had over 500. Currently, I sort of stopped counting after 1,000 and don't update my files very often but I do keep my register tapes and file it away. I have no doubt that I have 50 movies that I have not watched. I have about 10 that I should trade away because I know I will not watch again but I let my neighbors borrow.
Old 04-17-06, 01:14 PM

I hear ya, I have dvds that I haven't watched in years and don't plan on watching again, yet if they release a newer, fancier improved edition I often feel compelled to buy it! My gf is bewildered. "Imagine if you had the $$$ for all those dvds back that you spent... Boggles the mind.
Old 04-17-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am at around 800 DVDs (sets counted as one) and I have started to wonder if I have too much. I think part of my problem is that I feel the need to watch all of the special features on a particular disc before I move on to the next. Assuming the average title (this includes TV shows) has 5 hours of content then I am looking at 4,000 hours of content. If I watch 3 hours worth on the weekdays and 6 on the weekends I am looking at 27 hours a week. Divide that into 4,000 and we are talking about 148 weeks or almost 3 years to watch everything assuming nothing new is bought. When you put things in that context it is a bit mind-boggiling. Not to mention the rapid decrease in price of many discs while the sealed one you bought 3 years ago for 3 times the price sits on your shelf.
Old 04-17-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I'd say that's a great definition. For you.

It's like the people with 500 movies complaining that those with a thousand are out of their minds for owning so many. They never stop to think those with 100 are saying the same about them and those with 5 say that about those with 100.

I'd say as long as the collection isn't having negative consequences in other areas of a person's life, then "too much" is a limit that must be defined on an individual level. It's not up to anyone else to draw that line in the sand.
I love this response, I think it sums it up for me.
Old 04-17-06, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by sarah99
When I purchased records, I did it as much for the artwork as the music, CDs were artless and I just downloaded.

When I purchased DVDs, I did it as much for the artwork, booklets and boxsets, as for the movie, I never bothered with VHS tapes as they too were artless.
The majority of DVDs that come in an amaray keepcase usually have the outer artwork and maybe some silk screened art on the disc, very few come with an insert anymore.

I am curious as to why you consider CDs to be artless and DVDs to be artful, when oftentimes CDs come with just as much or maybe more (fold out booklet) artwork than DVDs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.