DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

No holds barred commentaries

Old 06-22-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone know of any more?
Old 06-22-08, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently listened to the Ed Harris Commentary of Pollack, in the first 5 seconds he insults a background extra who was overacting. It was probably the best commentary I've heard and one of the most frank and honest ones to boot.
Old 06-22-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
Any examples about what those people said about Tierney?
I don't know if there's a commentary for the episode of Seinfeld he was on, but if there was, I guarantee Seinfeld would mention the fact Tierney scared everyone shitless on the cast and crew, stole a knife from the set, and non-verbally threatened to stab Jerry.
Old 06-22-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Hunter S. Thompson's commentary on the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: CC DVD is pretty crazy. One minute he talks like he likes the movie, but then the next minute he's like "TERRY GILLIAM RUINED MY MOVIE!!!!! HE'S TURNED MY LIFE INTO A CARTOON!!!" Then he just kind of makes some weird noises for a while, and talks about how gay Tobey Maguire is.
I also recall him screaming randomly, eat radishes, call Gilliam a pederast, get Johnny Depp on the phone for a few minutes (I might be wrong about this) and then try to call Benecio Del Toro, but getting his voicemail.
Old 06-22-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I don't know if there's a commentary for the episode of Seinfeld he was on, but if there was, I guarantee Seinfeld would mention the fact Tierney scared everyone shitless on the cast and crew, stole a knife from the set, and non-verbally threatened to stab Jerry.
I can't verify the exact content of the commentary, but there was a commentary on that episode and much of the focus was about Tierney and how crazy he was.
Old 06-23-08, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I also recall him screaming randomly, eat radishes, call Gilliam a pederast, get Johnny Depp on the phone for a few minutes (I might be wrong about this) and then try to call Benecio Del Toro, but getting his voicemail.
This is one of the funniest sentences ever uttered in the English language.
Old 06-23-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
A Zues "Tiny" Lister commentary would rock!
I love how he was also Deebo in Friday.

And that Hunter S. Thompson commentary I listened to part of, and goddamn is it funny shit.
Old 06-23-08, 01:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The commentary for Arlington Road is pretty good. Jeff Bridges was completely pissed off about the marketing campaign for the movie, and never lets us forget it.
Old 06-23-08, 04:57 PM

Incident at Loch Ness

I don't know how to do spoiler tags sooooo.....***SPOILER***

It's all staged...but kind of funny

****END SPOILER***
Old 06-23-08, 05:02 PM

WTF!!!! Change the title, I thought this was about No Hold's Barred the movie!!!!

Now I'm pissed!
Old 06-23-08, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Seantn
HOUSE OF THE DEAD has a solo commentary with Mark Altman, the writer of the script (which is NOT what ended up on the screen). He tries to keep it classy by never flat out saying "Uwe Boll is the reason this movie sucked!!!"...he keeps saying "Uwe had a very...strong vision for the film...much different than what we realized when we hired him...He definitely had a strong vision, and I have to admire that...but...."

He laughs at quite a few points through the commentary, and even says "Ugh...this is so embarrasing" at one point.

There is one scene which is so silly that he says "I will forever regret not being on set this day, because I never would have let them film this..."

I felt sorry for the guy after listening to it.
In Bloodrayne, he talks about how much better his movie is than other (also bad) vampire movies, such as Van Helsing. The guy is so clueless, it's hilarious.
Old 11-08-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: No holds barred commentaries

Bernard Rose's comments during the Candyman commentary are refreshingly honest. I like his thoughts on CGI and generic horror scores.
Old 11-08-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Nice thread bump.

I was reminded of Roger Watkins' comments on Last House/Dead End Street. There's a moment in the commentary where he praises the recent death of the film's editor. That made me go, "Ouch".
Old 11-08-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Screenwriter Mark Rosenthal's commentary track for "Superman IV: The Quest For Peace" is pretty darn honest about the film's failure and how Cannon(the studio) mishandled the production. It is a great listen.
Old 11-08-09, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In the Halloween remake w/Rob Zombie there are a couple of points where he mentions what a pain in the ass some scenes were, there is one shot where the 4 girls are just supposed to pull up in a drive way, park the car, and get out while saying their lines, Rob said that it took almost 4 hours to get it right
Old 11-08-09, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Abel Ferrara tends to walk a thin line.
I recently came across a video of Abel Ferrara on an extremely early Conan O'Brien Show. It has to be one of the weirdest interviews in the history of that show. I wish I could put it on Youtube, but they always yank off old Conan clips.

Last edited by Chas Speed; 11-08-09 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-08-09, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Numes
I can't verify the exact content of the commentary, but there was a commentary on that episode and much of the focus was about Tierney and how crazy he was.
They also discuss Lawrence Tierney on the 2nd audio commentary of the "Marge be not Proud" episode of The Simpsons. It sounds like he really shook them up.
Old 11-09-09, 12:01 AM

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,118 Posts

The late great Chris Penn has an interview about Lawrence Tierney on Reservoir Dogs. He was clearly a weird dude. There's also some great Tierney RD stories in the Quentin Tarantino biography, Shooting From the Hip.
Old 11-09-09, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

There's a commentary track on my copy of Manos the Hands of Fate that is pretty brutal. Just makes fun of the whole movie, especially the Torgo character.
Old 11-09-09, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by dogmatica
The late great Chris Penn has an interview about Lawrence Tierney on Reservoir Dogs. He was clearly a weird dude. There's also some great Tierney RD stories in the Quentin Tarantino biography, Shooting From the Hip.
It seems like he shot up a hotel room and was arrested during filming of "Reservoir Dogs". It's been said many times that he played Dillinger in a movie, but was arrested more times then Dillinger.
Old 11-09-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Tierney also shows up in an early Seinfeld episode as Elaine's dad - they talk about him in the extras. He was supposed to be a recurring character, but he proved to be such a pain in the ass (stealing props, brandishing knives and forks, threatening the cast and crew), that they never asked him back.
Old 11-09-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12
There's a commentary track on my copy of Manos the Hands of Fate that is pretty brutal. Just makes fun of the whole movie, especially the Torgo character.
Is that the Mystery Science Theater version?
Old 11-09-09, 11:48 AM

Recently listened to Kirk Wong and Bey Logan's commentary track for Crime Story. Kirk rips into Jackie Chan a few times specifically when Bey mentions Jackie's "family image" during a sex scene in the film. Kirk actually gives Jackie props throughout the commentary especially when talking about Jackie's incredible dedication and work ethic. But he definitely doesn't hold back when talking about scenes that he and Jackie clashed over. (There's an interview on the disc thats even more candid.) Funny, insightful, just a great track.
Old 11-09-09, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Lee
Recently listened to Kirk Wong and Bey Logan's commentary track for Crime Story. Kirk rips into Jackie Chan a few times specifically when Bey mentions Jackie's "family image" during a sex scene in the film. Kirk actually gives Jackie props throughout the commentary especially when talking about Jackie's incredible dedication and work ethic. But he definitely doesn't hold back when talking about scenes that he and Jackie clashed over. (There's an interview on the disc thats even more candid.) Funny, insightful, just a great track.
I remember when I saw that in a theater and they actually showed it with the reels out of order. That was the first and only time I saw a movie in that way.
Old 11-09-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Is that the Mystery Science Theater version?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.