Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Capote - dirty transfer

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Capote - dirty transfer

I just rented this and was stunned to see so much dirt and crap on such a new movie. The amount of dirt I saw might have been expected it if the movie were 20 years old, but is inexcusable in a recent release.
Interesting film, but sub par video quality.
I would have been angry if I had bought it.
Old 03-25-06, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe it was intended to look that way? It's hard to believe a major studio would intentionally release a crappy transfer of a new film
Old 03-25-06, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
Yeah I noticed this as well...I guess we will find out if this was truly intended in the HD DVD/Blu-Ray version, whenever it comes out.
Old 03-25-06, 05:17 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished watching it, and I definitely noticed the bad transfer. It could be intentional, though.
Old 03-25-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember this looking a bit dirty and grainy in the theater. I'm sure it's intended.
Old 03-25-06, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is mentioned in the review that sizzle chest did:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read....=20474&___rd=1

He does go on to say that the transfer still looks excellent, despite the dirt. Against my better judgement I ordered this, so I hope it looks good.

Also, I wouldn't entirely put it past sony to release some sub-par titles only so they can make the case for switching to HD that much easier.
Old 03-25-06, 09:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So that's the studios plan, huh? Start releasing everything with crappy transfers and then tell you how good HD will look?

It's probably true! I justed watch the latest Harry Potter and it wasn't a great transfer by any means. Some scenes were crystal clear and almost all the CGI ones were very soft. I know that they have to do this for the CGI to blend in with the real background. We'll see how good King Kong is on Tuesday!

On my professionally calibrated 65" RPTV, when a film is transfered with a little effort and it's 2.35:1, the blacks in the film are the exact same color black as the top/bottom bars. It looks like you're watching a 1.78:1/1.85:1 film...fills the whole screen. In 95% of Harry Potter you could tell it was a 2.35:1 print.
Old 03-25-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think it was done intentionally. I remember the cinematography looking great in the theatre.
Old 03-25-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts
As the DVDTalk review states:

Surprisingly though, there's an obvious amount of dirt in the transfer, specifically in the movie's stunning landscape shots. It's likely attributable to the film's budget and production capabilities, but one would think it would be relatively easy to correct before releasing the DVD.
In the extras, DP Adam Kimmel explains how he got those landscape shots. He basically went out on his own (and with Miller a few times) with one camera at odd hours to try and get the shots he wanted. Finally, one one occasion, the weather cooperated and he took advantage of a very small window to get all the shots he needed. These were far from ideal shooting conditions and he didn't have a truckload of equipment. Although, as the reviewer states, they could have cleaned those shots up before releasing the DVD. Overall though, I didn't have a problem with that transfer. The grainy/gray/sombre look is what was intended for the film.
Old 03-26-06, 12:00 AM
MGR

Originally Posted by eXcentris
... Although, as the reviewer states, they could have cleaned those shots up before releasing the DVD. Overall though, I didn't have a problem with that transfer. The grainy/gray/sombre look is what was intended for the film.
However there's a HUGE difference between having an intentional grainy/gray/sombre look for artistic effect, and having "much dirt and crap" as the OP wrote.
I just saw Capote in the theater only a couple weeks ago and don't really recall anything like that sticking out.
I think this DVD just fell off of my purchase list down onto my rent list. I do want to listen to the audio commentaries.
Old 03-26-06, 04:16 AM
Cool New Member

I haven't seen the DVD yet, so I can't comment on that, but I do recall the movie looking...less than pristine, I guess. I mean it wasn't distractingly dirty, but I do remember there being a little "edge" to it. This could be attributed to the fact that I saw the movie in a small independently run theatre here locally, where the projecter and what not is dated, as oppposed to a huge multiplex. I'm holding out on this DVD though, simply because I've been so jaded by "SPECIAL FANCY WHOOPDEE DOO" editions coming out within months of initial release.
Old 03-26-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I decided to look around a bit and see what other sites had to say. HTF had this thread going: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=253190
Noted film archivist Robert Harris (who restored My Fair Lady and Rear Window among others) made this comment:
I doubt very much that it would have been an actual print. It should have been an interpositive. But regardless, the amount of both negative dirt and positive detritus is unacceptable for anything approaching a film of recent vintage.
Read the thread for further comments.
That settles any question for me. The look was certainly intentional but the source was also unquestionably and unacceptably dirty.