Warner Film Noir Box 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Warner Film Noir Box 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-06, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well on the same website i got the tough guys info on, i saw the release date as july 18, but on digital bits they said it will most likely be released on july 4. i loved the previous 2 noir sets, with volume 1 being the best. from what i've read there doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm for his kind of woman, but i love that film, along with border incident.
Old 04-30-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Box Art:
Old 04-30-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why are there six pictures on the spine when only five films are included? Or is there a bonus disc this time?
Old 04-30-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
Why are there six pictures on the spine when only five films are included? Or is there a bonus disc this time?
From DVD Empire's description:
Five more film noir classics lined up with genre stars such as Robert Mitchum, Robert Montgomery, Robert Ryan, and Jane Russell, are now available in Volume 3 of the Film Noir Classics Collection series. The new 6 Disc DVD set is only available as a collection and includes a bonus documentary disc on the Noir genre.
Old 04-30-06, 10:41 AM

From DVDTimes

Bonus Disc (exclusive to the set)

Documentary: Film Noir: Bringing Darkness to Light
Vintage Shorts:
- Women in Hiding
- You, the People
- Forbidden Passage
- A Gun in his Hand
Old 05-01-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

great box art again...
Old 05-01-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
His Kind of Woman has been high on my want list for some time. Not a straight noir, it's a very funny movie - especially Vincent Price.

I love the gimmick in Dark Passage, but Lady in the Lake doesn't really do it for me. I'm not sure I've ever gotten through the whole film. Still, it's nice to have more Audrey Totter on DVD. Now bring on Tension!

On Dangerous Ground sounds very interesting. Hard to resist Ryan & Lupino (& Savant commentary).

I could do without Lizabeth Scott in my collection, but I look forward to the set.
Old 05-02-06, 06:24 PM

it's ONLY $34.99 for pre-order on amazon.
Old 07-18-06, 11:07 AM
Cool New Member

Canadian delay!!!???

Hey, up until yesterday my order on amazon said this had a release date of July 18th and that it would ship this week along with the "Tough Guys Collection." However, now amazon.ca lists a release date of August 15. Does anyone have any information on this? While I'm glad Warner is releasing these titles, a three week delay that is not announced in advance of the release date is bullshit in my mind. I was really excited to watch some Warner's Film Noir, so if anyone has any info explaining this crap, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 07-18-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know I'll get ripped for this, but I actually didn't buy this set today, after very much looking forward to it's release when I picked it up and saw that the films were all in slim disc packaging. Now, I will by these in the near future, but I picked up the tough guys collection instead. I just can't stand that they can't spring the extra dime to make these all uniform with the previous sets. I'm big on packaging which I like to display on my shelves and this was very disappointing. Take note WB, I didn't buy for that reason alone.
Old 07-18-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD King
My 2 cents, i'm glad they're bringing out these slim packs, I don't want to be surrounded by dvds in my room.
Have to say i found it pleasantly suprising that WB had gone the slim pack route for this collection....long may it continue.

Speaking personally i find that i am yet to receive a disc loose in its case when they are housed in these slim cases.
Old 07-18-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

also love the idea of slims....my dvd collection is in overflow mode as we speak. It is a bit strange that at the HTF chat, they stated they were going to put the astaire & rodgers set in full size cases to match...i need to go pick these up
Old 07-18-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate that they switched the packaging...I'll still buy the set, but now I just have to go through the hassle of printing off new covers and buying blank cases.
Old 07-18-06, 04:21 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by ToddSm66
I hate that they switched the packaging...I'll still buy the set, but now I just have to go through the hassle of printing off new covers and buying blank cases.
But doesn't that leave you with a box that no longer holds the discs?

I'm with Cameron. I need the room. This isn't like the way Six Feet Under or The Simpsons altered specialized packaging so that they couldn't fit on the same shelf, these sets will still go together. I'm cool with this as long as the rest of the aesthetic remains the same.
Old 07-18-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always ditch the cardboard boxes anyway, with any boxset I buy.

I'm usually not that anal about things - but I have a whole film noir section set off to the side, and everything so far is in typical keep cases. This would be the only thing that would look different.
Old 07-18-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My sentiment exactly...
Old 07-19-06, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Were the slimline cases really a surprise? I've been browsing this set on Amazon and I have the previous 2 already. You can noticably see from the pic that the box is somewhat slimmer containing 6 discs for Vol. 3. I really don't mind the new packaging as they all go into my DVD binder sleeves.

I will most likely pick this up in Nov. (DDD)

Last edited by Xbox69; 07-19-06 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-19-06, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally Posted by E.D.
Hey, up until yesterday my order on amazon said this had a release date of July 18th and that it would ship this week along with the "Tough Guys Collection." However, now amazon.ca lists a release date of August 15. Does anyone have any information on this? While I'm glad Warner is releasing these titles, a three week delay that is not announced in advance of the release date is bullshit in my mind. I was really excited to watch some Warner's Film Noir, so if anyone has any info explaining this crap, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Same boat here. Worse yet, the Tough Guys set has ALSO been delayed until August 15. That was only changed a few hours ago.
Old 07-19-06, 02:46 AM

I always ditch the cardboard boxes anyway, with any boxset I buy.
I'm the same way for compilation box sets: for me, I generally separate the titles and place them on my shelf alphabetically, and either toss the box or use it for something else. I prefer slim cases for TV-season box sets, but for boxes of different movies like this one, I need to have the regular standalone DVD cases.
Old 07-19-06, 03:25 AM
Cool New Member

now I just have to go through the hassle of printing off new covers and buying blank cases.
I'd be neat if you could post your cover scans As I have done with vols 1-2, I will also

Originally Posted by gcbma
separate the titles and place them on my shelf alphabetically
Old 07-19-06, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, If you scan these and they look great, I'd be interested as well. The spine is really the only thing I'm worried about...
Old 07-19-06, 08:42 AM

mine just shipped yesterday from Amazon so don't understand any delays for other people.
Old 07-19-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerborus
I know I'll get ripped for this, but I actually didn't buy this set today, after very much looking forward to it's release when I picked it up and saw that the films were all in slim disc packaging. Now, I will by these in the near future, but I picked up the tough guys collection instead. I just can't stand that they can't spring the extra dime to make these all uniform with the previous sets. I'm big on packaging which I like to display on my shelves and this was very disappointing. Take note WB, I didn't buy for that reason alone.
Funny... I was coming to this thread to specifically praise WB for switching to thinpaks.

I just got this in the mail and it was a pleasant surprise. Anything like that that saves space is welcome by me. I approve.
Old 07-19-06, 10:31 AM
Cool New Member

Canadian delay, indeed

Well, it appears both this and "Tough Guys Collection" have been delayed until August 15th in Canada......any sort of explanation from Warner Bros would be much appreciated, but ah well, whatever. I guess I'll use my money to buy some other DVDs today. Thanks a lot, WB, way to screw-over the Canadian consumer.
Old 07-19-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by randall
I'd be neat if you could post your cover scans
I will...Haven't gone out to pick up the set yet, but should have it this weekend.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.