Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dazed and Confused (Criterion) -- June 2006 [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is good news. Maybe we'll get a Scanner Darkly Criterion. I doubt it, but it's nice to think it may be possible.
Old 09-19-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll gladly double-dip to a Criterion Dazed. The Flashback Edition is a typical disappointing Universal DVD.
Old 09-20-05, 02:36 PM
Banned

You guys can all forget about "Before Sunrise", "Before Sunset" and "A Scanner Darkly" being released by Criterion. Those are all Warner titles and Warner doesn't deal with Criterion. I wish they did, because they own the one Linklater film unreleased on DVD (Suburbia) and I'm sure Criterion would be happy to release it but the fact of the matter is this: it's not gonna happen. There's really only one other Linklater movie that could possibly get the Criterion treatment. Lion's Gate is currently trying to buy out Image Entertainment. Image just bought out Criterion. If that buyout occurs, Criterion would have access to Linklater's "Tape".
Old 09-20-05, 02:57 PM

For those ( like me ) that missed the AMC doc. , it will re-air : Wednesday, Sep. 28th 4:30 AM / EST.
Old 09-20-05, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
You guys can all forget about "Before Sunrise", "Before Sunset" and "A Scanner Darkly" being released by Criterion. Those are all Warner titles and Warner doesn't deal with Criterion. I wish they did, because they own the one Linklater film unreleased on DVD (Suburbia) and I'm sure Criterion would be happy to release it but the fact of the matter is this: it's not gonna happen. There's really only one other Linklater movie that could possibly get the Criterion treatment. Lion's Gate is currently trying to buy out Image Entertainment. Image just bought out Criterion. If that buyout occurs, Criterion would have access to Linklater's "Tape".
Yeah and they have Akira Kurosawa' Dreams too.
Old 09-20-05, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GuruTwo
Image just bought out Criterion.
No, they did not. Image bought Home Vision Entertainment ("HVE"). HVE and Criterion are, and always have been, two completely indepedent entities. HVE owned 50% of rights to Criterion's distribution (but no actual business ownership in the Criterion company itself). Further, Criterion and HVE had a joint venture known as The Classic Collection that acquired rights to titles (but again, no cross-ownership of the individual companies). Other than those two business ventures, HVE and Criterion are not related. Buying HVE doesn't include buying Criterion. Criterion is still an indepdent company, just as it was before Image bought HVE. All Image's purchase of HVE did was consolidate Criterion's distribution to a single exclusive distributor and shift HVE's share of The Classic Collection to Image. Image did not buy Criterion.

DJ
Old 10-16-05, 12:41 AM

according to an interview with Linklater, this maybe happening sooner than later:
Criterion is going to do a really kick ass DVD of Dazed. It is something to look forward to in July. It is going to have commentary tracks, it’s going to have hours more of additional footage and interviews it is going to be so cool.
Old 10-17-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stinkeye
according to an interview with Linklater, this maybe happening sooner than later:
Criterion is going to do a really kick ass DVD of Dazed. It is something to look forward to in July. It is going to have commentary tracks, it’s going to have hours more of additional footage and interviews it is going to be so cool.
Will buy it on release day..

Have the original bare-bones release and glad that I had the sense to avoid that dopey Flashback release.
Old 02-10-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The new Criterion newsletter just confirmed this. Rockin.

Bottom right, Mr. Frog says:
"It's true. Dazed and Confused arrives just in time for summer!"
Old 02-10-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JackBurton
The new Criterion newsletter just confirmed this. Rockin.

Bottom right, Mr. Frog says:
"It's true. Dazed and Confused arrives just in time for summer!"

Sweet. Is there a link anywhere?
Old 02-10-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 02-10-06, 04:02 PM

Yeah, I just searched for this thread to bump it.

Sounds like the June date that Linklater gave will hold up...and since he gave me the right information on that, I assume we can also trust that he's recording a new commentary and getting a handful of other goodies together for the disc. Should be a great release.

-JP
Old 02-10-06, 04:03 PM

Ah, beat me to the punch. Well mine is bigger!
Old 02-10-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

alright, alright, alright!
Old 02-10-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is some outstanding news! Thanks for the heads up, can't wait!
Old 02-11-06, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by joliom
I'll gladly double-dip to a Criterion Dazed. The Flashback Edition is a typical disappointing Universal DVD.
The Flashback Edition might be disappointing in the extras department, but Universal really delivered in the video and audio departments. I'm guessing that those of you who weren't interested enough to buy the Flashback Edition don't own a 16x9 TV because the 16x9 enhanced transfer was reason enough to buy it. Universal's original Dazed DVD was the real disappointment with its non-anamorphic transfer and non-existent extras. That said, the Criterion DVD sounds sweet. I'll definitely be getting it. I wonder if Criterion will use Universal's 16x9 transfer from the Flashback Edition DVD or if they will produce a new transfer. I wouldn't mind if they used the Flashback transfer. It looks really nice. Also, I wonder if the extras from the FE (nine deleted scenes, retro public service announcements) will be carried over to Criterion's release?
Old 03-18-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=336
Old 03-18-06, 01:22 PM

I'm kinda bummed the 'workprint' cut wasn't included but I'm sure all of the stolen Indian subplot and more will be found on the deleted scenes. The Universal ones were terrible.
Old 03-18-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

K
Old 03-18-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From Criterion's list of special features:

All new high-definition digital transfer, supervised by Richard Linklater and cinematographer Lee Daniel

Audio commentary by Linklater

"Making Dazed," a 50-minute documentary by filmmaker Kahane Corn

Booklet featuring new essays by film critic Kent Jones, music critic Jim DeRogatis, and author Chuck Klosterman, plus character profiles, and memories of the film from cast and crew

More than two hours of rare on-set interviews and behind-the-scenes footage featuring cast and crew

Footage from the 10-year anniversary celebration

Audition footage

Deleted Scenes

Original trailer

Collectible film poster

K
Old 03-18-06, 05:34 PM
Cool New Member

I'll pick this up. That's a pretty sweet cover (in my opinion) too.
Old 03-18-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't wait to get this one!
Old 03-18-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FAntastic. I'll buy it on day one.
Old 03-18-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, I am bummed that the excellent 2-hour AMC documentary isn't on there. I can't imagine the 50-minute doc being quite as good. :-(
Old 03-18-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
Wow, I am bummed that the excellent 2-hour AMC documentary isn't on there. I can't imagine the 50-minute doc being quite as good. :-(
There was no 2-hour AMC documentary. The 50-minute documentary that's on the DVD will be the same as the one aired on AMC.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.