Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why Must They Release Colorized Versions?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why Must They Release Colorized Versions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't actually read through all the posts but, from the thread title, I think I get the gripe...

Colorized Versions of classic & some not-so classic works of Hollywood history. My only answer for this is that those heartless fucks that own the rights to these works base their amount of Respect on the size of their wallets.

"The new audiences won't sit through B&W."
News flash jack-offs...
- Those same new fucking audience don't give enough of a shit to buy the colorized versions either.

Put a little money into remastering and cleaning up the black & white originals, and at least those of us that are fans of the "ORIGINALS" would pick them up.

colorized Three Stooges... Christ I hope you choke while you're sucking the devil's cock.......

did I cross a line there?
Old 03-15-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
As long as the original is available I think I can live with it. This is definitely the case with Bewitched.
Old 03-15-06, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
Have the gotten any better at colorization?
YES. All of Legend Films' releases look superb. Check out "Reefer Madness," "House on Haunted Hill," "Plan 9 from Outer Space," the Three Stooges discs, and "Africa Screams" -- all of which look great in color. The first three and one of the Stooges discs feature some funny extras including additional material from Mike Nelson, who is joined by his Mystery Science Theater 3000 costars Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett on Fox's Three Stooges in Color disc.

The colorization is very realistic, and at times adds to some of their productions (especially "Reefer Madness" and "Plan 9"). The fact that these guys colorized "Plan 9 from Outer Space", and that they offer the original black and white versions on the same disc shows that they aren't taking colorization nearly as seriously as Turner did. Also note that they respect film purists, and that the company's president is AGAINST the colorization of films that were artistically shot in black and white, like "Citizen Kane" and "Casablanca."

I mean, you can tell by the title of "Sherlock Holmes and the Woman in Green" that that particular film was MEANT to be in color, but that the people who made it didn't have the money to do so (so colorization becomes a nessecity). Also, surviving members of the production teams of some of the films Legend has colored, like "A Christmas Wish" (The Great Rupert) and Howard Hughes' "The Outlaw" were involved in the colorization. Plus, the company will also be restoring classic films that were SHOT in color, such as "Abbott & Costello: Jack and the Beanstalk."

Last edited by thing-fish24; 03-15-06 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-15-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JLyon1515
Someone abov ementioned colorized films looking a bit off and using "mostly primary colors." For those who might want to see a comparison of b&w versus colored, check out this review of The House on Haunted Hill:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...dvd_review.htm
I think that still looks like crap. But I have seen good colorization. Check it out at this site.

Last edited by MEJHarrison; 03-15-06 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-15-06, 09:45 PM
Banned

The "House on Haunted Hill" colorized version looks just like a 1950s Technicolor movie rather than a color movie shot today, but I happen to love it -- William Castle probably would have loved to see his film in color.
Old 03-16-06, 01:41 AM

The worst part is no where on the colorized version does it tell you that the original was black and white and it has been colorized. So for all the J6P, they probably have no clue.
Old 03-16-06, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally don't mind it as a novelty.

-JP
Old 03-16-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL does NOT look like it was shot in Technicolor on that DVD. It looks colorized. I don't mind it being out there as the original is available but to go that far is ridiculous.
Old 03-18-06, 07:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
The HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL does NOT look like it was shot in Technicolor on that DVD. It looks colorized.
No, it doesn't look colorized. The only way I can tell that the film was colorized because I saw it in black and white first.