Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Jarhead 2nd Disc Contents

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jarhead 2nd Disc Contents

I did some searching and (finally) found a review of Jarhead's 2nd disc. I was trying to figure out if it was worth the extra $10+ for the 2 disc version. Since I couldn't find it posted anywhere else here or on the net, I figured I'd share it.

Sorry if this has been covered, but I didn't see it and I've been keeping up with the Jarhead threads...

EDIT: Found a review on dvdfanatic which mentions that the run time for disc 2 is appx. 90 minutes.

From DVDFile:

The 2-disc Collector’s Edition includes the following supplements:

The Jarhead Diaries featurette is introduced by director Sam Mendes. He explains that an extra production crew was embedded with the filmmakers to shoot behind-the-scenes material. He even armed the actors with cameras, and they were encouraged to record their experiences shooting the film. The resulting documentary-style effort is pretty revealing and quite entertaining. It starts with the first day of rehearsal, when the actors are given their cameras. We then travel on location, and we see them endure the forced marches and rifle training necessary to perform their role. A funny moment is when the cast eats MRE (Meals Ready to Eat), which are standard armed forces rations. It’s good stuff, although it’s hard to evaluate the video quality since my review copy had the words “Not Authorized for Broadcast” on the bottom.

Semper Fi is also introduced by Mendes. He explains that this documentary chronicles the post-Iraq War experience of four actual Marines. First we meet Angel Serrano from The Bronx, who was deployed to Fallujah in 2004. He talks about using your fears as an advantage, since they make you more vigilant on the battlefield. Back home, he enjoys playing pool and downing beers, although he admits that his friends don’t quite understand what he went through. Next we meet Robert Vlasaty from Yonkers. He says he finds it disrespectful when civilians ask him how many people he killed, since if he didn’t kill the enemy, he may have been killed himself. Vlasaty introduces us to his uncle and the other members of his family-owned business and shows us pictures of his time overseas. Next is Tom Vick, veteran of Desert Shield and Desert Storm. From Burbank, California, he talks about assimilating into civilian culture, which meant it was no longer necessary for him to iron his t-shirts. He admits, “I wasn’t a classy date, I just got out of the Marines!” As the most articulate and troubled of the four subjects, his material was quite interesting. Finally, we have Alex Ryabov from Brooklyn who joined the Marines because he wouldn’t have to worry about college money. He thought it was “a dream job.” His story was the least interesting to me, though of course, no less noble. Any chance to meet the brave men who protect our country is worthwhile. However, I wish they had found some Marines from the heartland and not just New York and L.A.

Finally on the Collector’s Edition is a featurette entitled Background. Once again, Mendes begins by discussing what the supplement is and how it came to be. Background is about the extras on the Jarhead movie set. We start with casting calls at a local job fair and rodeo, where the casting department hoped to recruit young, lean, strapping men. Some of the extras want to be directors and some are real-deal war veterans. All the extras needed to know how to walk and move with soldierly authenticity. Being an extra on Jarhead was no picnic; they had to carry all their gear and take care of their (rubber) rifles. Background is an interesting supplement to flip through.
And goes on to say:

Despite the presence of a two-disc collector’s edition, the single disc should be enough to satisfy most viewers.

Last edited by awmurray; 03-07-06 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-07-06, 09:22 AM
Banned

I ordered this set in January from Amazon. Bastards STILL haven't shipped it.
Old 03-07-06, 09:30 AM

sounds like the 2nd disc really isn't worth wild. I may still get it just because it seems like such a rarity. (i love when people look at my collection and ask.."where did you get this from? i never saw this one before")
Old 03-07-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found a mention on dvdfanatic that the run time for disc 2 is appx. 90 minutes. I updated the original post with the link...

Still torn between the 1 and 2 disc versions...
Old 03-07-06, 10:43 AM

The cover for the 1-disc is so ugly, that if I actually was interested in purchasing this film, it'd be a no-brainer.
Old 03-07-06, 11:37 AM

I bought the 2D, nice set with a nice photobook. Was it worth it, well we will see later but I loved the film so anything over and above for extra's is worth it.
Old 03-07-06, 11:43 AM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2nd disc was not that good and dont think its worth $10+ becuz i dint really like the film. even the first disc was pathetic.
Old 03-07-06, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hailmyname
The 2nd disc was not that good and dont think its worth $10+ becuz i dint really like the film. even the first disc was pathetic.
Well, SHIT, thanks for adding that.

Old 03-07-06, 12:11 PM

I hope you got it for free otherwise why in the hell would you have even watched the 2nd disc, let alone the first if you didn't like the movie?

Obviously the 2nd disc isn't worth it to someone who didn't like the film.
Old 03-07-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I just got the single disc because of price...Ive been so crazy with the dvd spending recently that I felt guilty. I may have to talk to a friend around here and watch the extras from him .
Old 03-07-06, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Well, I just got the single disc because of price...Ive been so crazy with the dvd spending recently that I felt guilty. I may have to talk to a friend around here and watch the extras from him .
you gotta treat yourself man!
Old 03-07-06, 08:19 PM

I loved this movie, but I'll probably just pick up the single-disc because it has 2 commentaries and enough extras to satisfy me. Though I would love the much prettier 2-disc box art, military documentaries don't intrigue me enough to shell out the extra $10-15.
Old 03-07-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I loved this movie, but I'll probably just pick up the single-disc because it has 2 commentaries and enough extras to satisfy me. Though I would love the much prettier 2-disc box art, military documentaries don't intrigue me enough to shell out the extra $10-15.

My thoughts exactly. Picked up the single disc WS version this afternoon and just got done watching it.

What a great movie. Gonna re-watch it this weekend.
Old 03-07-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Picked up the single disc. I was thinking of the 2 disc than realized that I would be paying almost double for extras that I wouldn't even watch.
Old 03-07-06, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I got the 2 disc set. I'm such a sucker for always wanting to get the best version available. 2nd disc is nothing to write home about, but I enjoyed watching it, and the packaging was nice too.
Old 03-08-06, 01:57 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm the same as Dean is, regarding always trying to get the best version. I know I would have kicked myself if I would have just gotten the single disc, so I picked up the 2-Disc at Blockbuster. I've yet to watch it, though.

Interesting story:

I figured Blockbuster would have it, so I went there instead of going to Future Shop, which is about 20 minutes away (Blockbuster is relatively close to me.) They did have it, and I was surprised by the fact that they had it marked as being $39.99 (CAD)...two dollars cheaper than Future Shop's price of, $41.99. So, I decided to buy it.

When I got to the counter and the cashier rang it through, he told me that the total came to $64 and change, which didn't make any sense at all. He called his co-worker over to see if she could figure out what was wrong. I guess they had priced it wrong, because their computer had it listed at $54.99. They ended up giving it to me for $40, because of their mistake, and also due to the fact that they thought the price that it rang up as was absurd. I don't think I would have ever purchased it for $55.
Old 03-08-06, 06:30 AM

While I loved the movie and wanted the extra's I am as well a sucker for having the better version if it's available.
Old 03-08-06, 08:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by M Polo
While I loved the movie and wanted the extra's I am as well a sucker for having the better version if it's available.
So am i...if Amazon would ever fucking ship mine.
Old 03-08-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm glad I cancelled my Amazon order and went with Tower, it's on it way to my house now.
Old 03-08-06, 10:07 AM

Meh cancel the order and go to BB or CC. My local BB had to of had atleast 30 copies...
Old 03-08-06, 10:08 AM

n/m it's about $5 cheaper at Amazon with free shipping...
Old 03-08-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I have to point out that this is one of those 2-disc sets where the 2nd disc is actually a substantial improvement over the single disc (UNlike the dvds for Ray, War of the Worlds, Walk the Line, Harry Potter, et all). It has little, to no fluff, and some very substantive behind the scenes stuff, along with a hard-hitting documentary of soldiers returning from Iraq. It is VERY much worth the extra $10, or whatever.
Old 03-08-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
EDIT: Misinformed. No DTS available, period.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 03-08-06 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-08-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
What are you talking about?

Neither of the Jarhead dvds have any DTS.

The first disc of the two-disc set is identical to the single-disc.
They just added a bonus second disc, and better packaging.
It's this bonus disc that I feel is easily worth the extra money.
Old 03-08-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Neither of the Jarhead dvds have any DTS.

They just added a bonus second disc, and better packaging.
It's this bonus disc that I feel is easily worth the extra money.
Gotcha. Thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.