Forbidden Planet SE - Nov. 14

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Forbidden Planet SE - Nov. 14

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious if the poster offer is open to Canadian residents (unlike the King Kong one). I did not get the poster offer with my tin and I wanted to be certain it would be available before I began following up with WB.

Also, speaking of which, would anyone have contact info for WB's customer service?

Thanks.
Old 11-19-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your tin just to be sure you didn't actually get an offer. The offer form is tucked in with the reproduction lobby cards. It took me a while to find it.
Old 11-19-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All the tins I saw at my local Best Buy were all dented and banged up. Not cool. I'm not sure if I would have dropped $60 on it anyway, but certainly not for a dinged up copy.
Old 11-20-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Check your tin just to be sure you didn't actually get an offer. The offer form is tucked in with the reproduction lobby cards. It took me a while to find it.
I just checked, no order form in the Canadian tin.

I'm not really surprised since all the previous Warner poster offers have been valid only in the U.S.A.
Old 11-20-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 516 Likes on 354 Posts
I dropped the $60 on it at BB and opened it up, cut off the POP and sent in the form and receipt for the poster. Then Saturday I saw it at Sam's for $40. Poop.
Old 11-20-06, 04:52 PM

Is there an expiration date for the poster offer? I'm debating whether or not to include the tin in a final DDD order, or to wait for the next sale to get it. If the poster offer is going to expire soon, I'll have to pony up the $31 now.
Old 11-20-06, 04:55 PM
Banned

How big is the poster supposed to be? Will it be a full 27" X 41"?
Old 11-22-06, 04:00 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by beetyke
Just curious if the poster offer is open to Canadian residents (unlike the King Kong one). I did not get the poster offer with my tin and I wanted to be certain it would be available before I began following up with WB.

Also, speaking of which, would anyone have contact info for WB's customer service?

Thanks.

I got mine for $49 at best buy and also did not recieve the poster offer. It does state that we should recieve it on the back of the limited tin. I am going to follow up with WB and see what is up.
Old 11-22-06, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
I dropped the $60 on it at BB and opened it up, cut off the POP and sent in the form and receipt for the poster. Then Saturday I saw it at Sam's for $40. Poop.
Someone who has been screwed in the past by retail stores and therefore has a very low sense of consumers ethics might suggest that you buy it at Sam's, carefully remove any Sam's stickers (pick up some goo gone while you are there), and return that one to BB. If you mailed the actual receipt and paid by credit card, BB can look it up. That same person would also suggest you check to ensure the UPCs are the same before doing so.
Old 11-22-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
How big is the poster supposed to be? Will it be a full 27" X 41"?
It's 27x40.
Old 11-22-06, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
It's 27x40.
Thanks. Glad to here it is a full one sheet instead of a smaller sized comercial poster.
Old 11-24-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,307 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Son_Of_Zod
Ugh. As soon as I took the annoyingly small Robby figure out of the packaging of the annoyingly large tin box, the little antenna that sticks out of his head horizontally broke off. Gonna have to get some super glue to fix it.
Got mine today and the vertical antenna is slightly broken. I'll keep it in the package. Yeah, Robby's small but the package is great. Lots of lobby cards, the tin is in great shape and the movie looks fantastic.

If anyone still wants a pic of how Robby is packed, I can post one.
Old 11-26-06, 09:52 AM
Suspended

AM I the only one who found "The Invisible Boy" a terrible waste of disc space? In find it stiff, slow and boring, it's full of goofs and the boy-hero is repugnant in his imbecility.

I know it's supposed to portray typical American family life from the fifties but the sight of the housewife sitting there and saying nothing while her husband studies a book at the dinner table and her idiot 9-year old reads a comic book and makes noise with his soup makes me cringe.
Old 11-26-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Gooooood morning, sunshine!
Old 11-26-06, 10:45 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
Gooooood morning, sunshine!
Did you have a good day at the office, Dear?

I also like the way the parents talk about their boy in the third person in his presence and never question him about simple things, like, for instance, HOW DID HE GET INVISIBLE, like he's a complete retard on top of being a prime candidate for juvenile delinquency.

Historical note: The scene where the boy spies on his parents in their bedroom (!) has to be the first instance of a married couple sitting - and (gulp) kissing - on the same marital bed since the instauration of the Hayes Code. Tee-hee! This film really pushes the envelope!

Last edited by baracine; 11-26-06 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-26-06, 01:27 PM
Suspended

Well, it took a lot of coffee and pep pills but I finally finished watching The Invisible Boy without falling asleep.

I understand that it is a fitting extra on this set because it's one of the only films where Robby, The Robot gets top billing. It is also, unfortunately, an extremely static, dour, slow-moving, turgid kiddie film with intellectual aspirations.

It's "Father Knows Best" meets The Golem. It's as excruciatingly theatrical as any early-TV 60-minute drama stretched out to 90 minutes has a right to be. It actually makes you long for commercial breaks... It may have been an inspiration for the later "Outer Limits" TV show. It also eerily resembles Invaders from Mars (1952) in its theme of a cold, calculating, brainiac invader (here, an earth-bound computer) who installs implants in its victims' brains. Where the resemblance hurts, however, is that Timmy's loving and caring parents are just as insensitive and robotic in their values, relationships and behaviour as the alien-controlled parents of that film were with their own kid.

The film's only saving grace was to ingratiate every kid's fantasy of having his own life-size Robby, The Robot as his private plaything.

The cutesy ending which pits the then socially-acceptable practice of spanking children against Isaac Azimov's first law of robotics is priceless.

Last edited by baracine; 11-26-06 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-26-06, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

got mine tonight for 39.99 regular price at circuit city with a gift card... my robby was also broken....gonna do a swap in a few days
Old 01-02-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Can someone please tell me when the poster offer expires. I ordered from amazon for $24.99 but with a cd that comes out 1/30 that I want to get free shipping. Im pretty sure the superman discs had a long expiration for the poster so hoping this will too.
Old 01-03-07, 10:32 PM

The Forbidden Planet poster offer expires 5/1/2007 from what is says on mine.
Old 01-03-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by forumsmy
The Forbidden Planet poster offer expires 5/1/2007 from what is says on mine.
Thanks
Old 01-14-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally got around to picking this up. Circuit City had 1 $39.99 tin left. Just sent in my poster offer. I'm loving these Warner tins with poster offers. Has anyone received their poster? I just got my Superman posters from them last weekend, all in great shape. But I can't remember when I mailed off the offer on that one.
Old 01-21-07, 04:39 AM

Has anyone received the poster yet? Is it folded or rolled?
Old 01-21-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Superman posters from Warner Bros. were rolled nicely in a solid cardboard tube. I'm sure we'll get the same treatment for this....I hope.
Old 01-22-07, 11:09 AM
mxv

Mine came last week, rolled. One of the caps was missing from the tube though! Luckily no harm came to the poster from what i could see inside. I didn't actually take it out of the tube yet.
Old 01-22-07, 01:34 PM

Got mine today. One of the caps was missing, and the middle of the tube, as usual with these free WB posters, had a dent in it which dented the poster. Happened with "The Searchers", and I seem to remember it happening with another. Hope my Supes posters arrive dentless.