Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does Full Screen stop you from buying good DVDs?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Does Full Screen stop you from buying good DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I routinely watch 4:3 material on my widescreen display. Doesn't bother me to have the sidebars, even though they are gray (I'd prefer black). So, no, I don't mind buying 4:3 "fullscreen" DVDs if that was their OAR.

But I won't buy Pan & Scan DVDs even if that is the only version available (for example, my pet peeve: Colossus: The Forbin Project was released in P&S only). Which is what I thought the title of this thread was referring to.
Old 03-02-06, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Sigh.
Exactly my sentimonies. Well, DVDTalkers, here we have, in the flesh, why "Family Friendly DVD Widescreen" is now the new "fullscreen". What we've fought years for has been co-opted.
Old 03-02-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the Shining is "Full Screen" but really its open matt (not Pan and scan) so technically if you use the zoom functuon on your widescreen TV you get the aspect ratio Kuberik intended by cutting the top and bottom of the screen. Same thing with other Open matt fims.

Old 03-02-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not about fullscreen or widescreen, it's about OAR. However if a widescreen movie is only released in fullscreen, I won't buy it. Same goes for fullscreen shows that are made into widescreen like Kung-Fu...I won't buy it.
Old 03-02-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cactusoly
the Shining is "Full Screen" but really its open matt (not Pan and scan) so technically if you use the zoom functuon on your widescreen TV you get the aspect ratio Kuberik intended by cutting the top and bottom of the screen. Same thing with other Open matt fims.

Except you still don't get the increased resolution that the anamorphic transfer would give you.

I waited for years for FMJ and The Shining to get anamorphic treatment, but broke down and bought them anyway. Finally they're getting the transfer I'd like on the new Kubrick box set.
Old 03-03-06, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only reason I've held out on buying DVD's are that they're in full screen - but not their original OAR (Sudden Death, Kindergarten Cop).

If it's the OAR, there's no problems.

= J