Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vol. 4 (Classic Cartoon) 04.04.06

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-06, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vol. 4 (Classic Cartoon) 04.04.06

TVSHOWSONDVD posted the release date and episode listing, as well as front & back artwork (which looks a bit strange compared to the other volumes.

episode list
- Ninja Sword of Nowhere, The (10/4/1989)
- 20,000 Leaks Under the City (10/5/1989)
- Take Me to Your Leader (11/2/1989)
- Four Musketurtles, The (10/30/1989)
- Turtles, Turtles Everywhere (11/8/1989)
- Cowabunga Shredhead (10/2/1989)
- Invasion of the Turtle Snatchers (11/14/1989)
- Camera Bugged (10/13/1989)
- Green with Jealousy (12/4/1989)
- Return of the Fly (11/22/1989)
- Casey Jones (11/7/1989)
- Mutagen Monster (11/15/1989)
Old 02-20-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
I just got vol 1 but didn't get around to watching it yet. I can't wait for the great nostalia trip
Also, it means my kids will get to see what their dad loved when he was young
Old 02-20-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still need to watch Vol. 2 and buy Vol. 3. At least they're putting them all out for a good price. Don't like the art here, though. Looks like something I would've made with Photoshop and I'm terrible at Photoshop.
Old 02-20-06, 10:27 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Can't wait for that one either. I preordered a copy at work just in case we don't get one in on release date. Had Volume 1, then just bought V2 and V3 and haven't gotten a chance to see em yet.

Speaking of nastalgia, I distinctly remembered the exact look from when I was a kid, and made me laugh when I saw it again, on Raphael when he says "right on!" in the first episode of V1. Classic.

Anyway, I'd pay an extra buck or two per volume to have it in a nice cardboard slipcover that volume one has. Why'd they stop?
Old 03-05-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

a bump for discussion
Old 03-05-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah, so this is "Volume 4" and not "Season 4" - my bad. This is another part of Season 3 then.
Some extras would be nice.
I'm sure the title sequence was changed in the UK as well - with footage of Krang and a spaceship crashing to earth (from the "Incredible Shrinking Turtles" episode) in place of Mike twirling his nanchukus).

I dont like that art at all - it doesnt go with S1 and 2 (that I have).
S1 did come with a cardboard slipcase I think - I threw mine away though, it was too bloody hard to get the case out of the box

Last edited by grim_tales; 03-05-06 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-06-06, 03:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It really sucks the way they are releasing these, just 12 eps at a time instead of complete seasons. I'd rather shell out for a 4-disc set of s3 than wait for 4 individual single disc releases. And I can only assume the other seasons will be released the same way. At this rate, it will take forever for all of them to come out.
Old 03-06-06, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The show was indeed changed in the UK. From IMDB:

n the UK, Ninjas and their weapons are a taboo subject, and several kinds of weapons are illegal to show on TV (Such as Katana and Nunchaku). To try and get around censorship laws, the show was marketed as "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" and the names of cerain weapons and places were changed.
Old 03-06-06, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

About the episodes being displayed with the wrong titles - on the Season 2 DVD (on the back of the case), one episode is written as "The Catwoman of Channel Six" when it should be "The Catwoman FROM Channel Six" (Anal I know) And "Four Muskerturtles, The" should just be "Four Muskerturtles" (no "The").
For some reason I was reminded of "Little Shop of Horrors" (Mutant plant from outer space) in the "It Came From Beneath The Sewers" episode.

Last edited by grim_tales; 03-06-06 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-06-06, 12:04 PM

What's wrong with Ninja's in the UK? I can understand NAZI's or something, but Ninja's? When were the UK ever attacked by Ninja's? Seriously? It must be a cultural thing.

Too bad LGE isn't doing multi disc sets, this will indeed take forever.
Old 03-06-06, 12:28 PM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by grim_tales
Ah, so this is "Volume 4" and not "Season 4" - my bad. This is another part of Season 3 then.
Some extras would be nice.
I'm sure the title sequence was changed in the UK as well - with footage of Krang and a spaceship crashing to earth (from the "Incredible Shrinking Turtles" episode) in place of Mike twirling his nanchukus).

I dont like that art at all - it doesnt go with S1 and 2 (that I have).
S1 did come with a cardboard slipcase I think - I threw mine away though, it was too bloody hard to get the case out of the box
Well, it could be worse. The new TMNT series (started in 2003) is only getting released with 3-6 episodes per DVD and their retail price is from $8 to $17 each. So for the first season of that, you would need 8 discs which would retail for like $80 for 26 episodes. And after the first season, the episodes on the discs weren't in chronlogical order!
Old 03-06-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by John*D
What's wrong with Ninja's in the UK? I can understand NAZI's or something, but Ninja's? When were the UK ever attacked by Ninja's? Seriously? It must be a cultural thing.

Too bad LGE isn't doing multi disc sets, this will indeed take forever.
I really don't know what was wrong with ninjas exactly but I know that at the time (80's/90's) ninjas and their weapons were taboo, and as mentioned the showing/use of nanchaku in the UK was illegal then - thats why the Bruce Lee movies were always cut until a few years ago. I think the BBFC were concerned about copycat incidents and violence ever since the days of Enter The Dragon in 1973.
Old 03-06-06, 03:30 PM
Banned

How many classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles seasons are there? (Not the new ones, the classic ones)i
Old 03-06-06, 05:02 PM

It's 193 episodes spread out over 10 seasons. So at this rate it will take a while to get them all out.

http://www.tv.com/teenage-mutant-nin....html&season=0
Old 03-06-06, 06:19 PM

Looking forward to this.

But, I have to agree.

This show was so highly popular at one time it was ridiculous. Should have definately been provided with Season sets such as the He-man ones.
Old 03-06-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it does make it easier on the wallet in the short term, and about 3-4 hours at a time is all i can take TMNT at this point in life. I have bought all 3 so far, and will continue to finish off the series.
Old 03-07-06, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will buy S1-3 (as that was all that was shown in the UK for some reason?) and maybe S4 but not sure.

I've been watching some of S2 - still surprisingly fun to watch after all these years and its' cool to see the cut footage I never saw The humour is a bit goofy at times though.
Old 03-07-06, 07:03 AM

Having these on DVD is like a dream come true for me... regardless of how Lion's Gate refuses to release box sets of the episodes.

TMNT was my absolute favorite TV show as a child... all my action figures are still in two huge boxes up in my attic. I'll definitely buy all the sets they have to offer... including the last few seasons, even though the plot got really weird. I know I never even saw they last season, so I'm actually excited to see how everything wrapped up.
Old 03-07-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its' funny how a lot of the stories this season (Season 2) have classic sci-fi roots like the Shrinking Turtles episode - or like how some reference 80's movies, like "New York's Shiniest" is a Robocop spoof, "The Case of the Killer Pizzas" is a bit Gremlins-like (in how the creatures get bigger/more ferocious if they get wet) and "It Came From Beneath The Sewers" with its mutant plant has elements of "Little Shop of Horrors", don't you think? Not forgetting "Enter: The Fly" and "The Catwoman from Channel Six" both have parallels to "The Fly".

More goofy humor abound though, like scenes with Splinter saying stuff like "Keep still.. concentrate hard Donatello" and the Turtles are merely standing on top of each other while Mike tries to screw in a lightbulb

Last edited by grim_tales; 03-07-06 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-29-07, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Feel free to move this to Movie Talk but I thought it could go here - I've just been watching Volume 3

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 3 (1st 4 episodes) - 3.5/5

Surprisingly fun to watch so far, it was quite cool to see some old episodes uncut (Turtles on Trial, Sky Turtles etc). In the UK version of "Turtles on Trail", a few uses of the word ninja are snipped, 2 fights are cut - a museum fight and a fight with two toughs in the street (nanchukus!) and Shredder uses a throwing star (in the UK version he used a grenade instead?)
When I was little I didnt get the Sam Spade references in "The Maltese Hamster" episode.