Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best way to move DVDs?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Best way to move DVDs?

Old 02-13-06, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to move DVDs?

I'll be moving cross country soon and am wondering the best way to package my dvd collection. Since I won't be the only one moving the box (if I was I wouldn't have a problem), I need a good way to package them in case reckless movers decide to drop the box or kick it or whatever.

I'm thinking of lining a box with bubble wrap using tape, and then stacking the dvds, laying them flat on the bottom. This seems like it'll work, but I figured I'd ask from anyone who has had to move their collection before.

Thanks
Old 02-13-06, 09:00 PM

This may be time consuming, depending on how many dvds you own, but I would fold a few pieces of toilet paper (newspaper and paper towels will also work) and put them in the dvd cases on top of the dvd. This helps prevent the disc from coming loose and getting scratched. If you do this, with a box lined with thick bubble wrap you should be good to go. Good luck!!
Old 02-14-06, 12:29 AM
Cool New Member

i figure if ure gonna go thru the trouble of opening each dvd and sticking toilet paper inside u might as well take the dvd out and put it into a spindle or cd wallet or something
Old 02-14-06, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's not a bad idea. If possible, carry the discs with you in a CD binder (I don't know how many discs you have, so I don't know if this is feasable) and ship the cases separately. Cases can be replaced much easier than the discs inside should something befall the box carrying them.
Old 02-14-06, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I happen to be moving to Texas from California in about a month and a half and just packed up a few of my DVDs already. I just layered thick bubble wrap on the bottom of the box, stacked the DVDs spine up alongside of each other, put another sheet of bubble wrap over that stack and then stacked another layer of DVDs over that and so on until I got to the top of the box and put a layer of bubble wrap on the top and sealed it. I used two boxes (so far) that were about 1.5" across and about 3" high. (free from work!). I have a few hundred DVDs to box up!
Old 02-14-06, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Silver5656
i figure if ure gonna go thru the trouble of opening each dvd and sticking toilet paper inside u might as well take the dvd out and put it into a spindle or cd wallet or something
This sounds good, but is an easy way to get a few scratches on all of your discs. Pulling them and putting cd's or dvd's into those sleeves always leaves a mark.
Old 02-14-06, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys. I have all of my standard sized cases in plastic sleeves, so the tissue and cd wallet ideas would take quite a bit of time. I've also had very bad luck with cd wallets in the past (scratching). I'm moving from WA to TX in a few months (back to TX actually, home sweet home) and the bubblewrap lining idea should work fine. I only have a little over 300 dvds so only a few boxes will be necessary. If dvds can be mailed to me without the discs dislodging then I think they can handle this.
Old 02-14-06, 05:28 PM

I don't know how many you have, but bubble wrap and packing peanuts are your friends.

I moved from Prague back to Mpls and shipped Simpsons and Futurama boxsets. Slow. Surface. Have you seen how packages turn out on the other end? Sometimes the box is in pieces. So, I made 2 stacks of DVDs, about 4 inches high to fit perfectly in the box. I wrapped each stack with bubble wrap and taped it tightly so the boxsets wouldn't move. Then I surrounded them with packing peanuts, and wrapped the shit out of the box with packing tape. The box was pretty banged up but the DVD boxes were FINE. A point of comparison: other boxes sent surface, the seams broke, etc. The point is, CUSHIONING, and making sure the DVDs don't move around. That is really important. I also think the smaller the box, the better. Big boxes are too easy to drop.

I was worried about 2 of the Simpsons season sets, because some of the DVDs fit very loosely and fall out when I open them. NO PROBLEM whatsoever. The DVDs inside their respective boxes didn't move.
Old 02-14-06, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by newcomb being
Since I won't be the only one moving the box (if I was I wouldn't have a problem), I need a good way to package them in case reckless movers decide to drop the box or kick it or whatever.

Thanks
Well, if you do your research on moving companies and call the BBB...you can avoid using off the street convicts and crackhead movers. Don't use the cheapest. You'll get what you pay for. Hell, the company I own will move you and I'll give you a super deal. Where ya at and where ya going? I give free, accurate estimates.

Do not lay them flat. Load a "dairy pak" size box and DO NOT OVERLOAD. Pack with spines up...in 2 rows....2 deep. Seal the entire box in plastic wrap. Label correctly. Some will say not to label them dvds because the movers might steal them. These are paranoid morons...don't listen to them. If you choose the right moving company....you'll need not worry. Hire Bob's Convict Lumpers....bye bye birdie.

I've moved over 500 dvd libraries in the last 3 or 4 years. not one problem. Just letters of thanks.

Remember....SEAL THE BOX with plastic wrap.

packing peanuts are your friends
Pak peanuts are nothing but a fucking mess and they take up more space than needed. Forget those little bastards. And bubble wrap is good...but really not needed for dvds.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 02-14-06 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-14-06, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
Pak peanuts are nothing but a fucking mess and they take up more space than needed. Forget those little bastards. And bubble wrap is good...but really not needed for dvds.
I disagree, man. If the DVD case is paperboard digipack, it must be padded, and it must not move around. Otherwise it will be damaged. I've just moved, and a lot of my CDs were damaged.
Old 02-14-06, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
I disagree, man. If the DVD case is paperboard digipack, it must be padded, and it must not move around. Otherwise it will be damaged. I've just moved, and a lot of my CDs were damaged.
Sorry that happened...but as I stated...I've moved more dvds than anyone here as ever even thought of with NO damage. None.

People...if the box is tightly packed...there will be no movement.
OK kids, I mean do whatever you need to do with what works best for you. But I've owned the #1 state ranked Highland Park Moving for 5 years and for a moving company to have NO damage whatsoever in 5 years...well...it appears we know what we are doing.

No wonder I charge $100 an hour.
Old 02-14-06, 08:56 PM

Look, I'm not challenging your authority on moving DVDs, OK?
Old 02-14-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You two. Fight. Right now.
Old 02-14-06, 09:06 PM

Look, I'm not challenging your authority on moving DVDs, OK?
Never thought you were. But when this subject comes up, I have a hard time shutting up. After all, it's what I do about 60 hours a week blindfolded.

A bit of topic...but yesterday I moved a dude into a 5 bedroom home and he actually had 1,599 dvds. The real disturbing moment came when I found out how he thinks HDTV's are a waste of $.

I didn't know if I was about to laugh, cry or get pissed....so I think I managed all three.

You two. Fight. Right now.
Typical big Al...always wanting violence.
Old 02-14-06, 10:33 PM

Cool man, sorry. I realise shipping my DVDs surface from overseas is much different than moving, especially in-town.

I can't imagine what 1600 DVDs looks like. I'm sure many of you here have such a collection, but still. So why did he think HDTVs are a waste of money?!
Old 02-14-06, 10:42 PM

So why did he think HDTVs are a waste of money?!
I dunno dude. I was pretty beat up that day and was not in the HD preaching mood, like I usually am. But like others I've met, I'm sure it was just a bad case of not being educated enough on the subject....which can be confusing to newbees. He may have seen one in stretch-o-vision or thought that HDTV means you plug it in and everything is in HD. If he were to see the calibrated PQ on my sets...he would change his mind. I just can never understand how someone could own a huge and decent library but not want to invest in the proper TV. True....I've only had HDTV's for a few years but even back then I understood that it was essential to have the proper display. Even dvds look superior on an HDTV....even though they are not HD.

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 02-14-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Were you able to gauge what sort of genres dominated his collection? 1600 is a lot of DVDs, but I'm curious as to whether he has high caliber stuff or just a lot of cheap schlock. I know a couple guys with more DVDs than me, but I wouldn't want but five titles from their collections just because the quality is so terrible.
Old 02-15-06, 02:30 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

I found comic book longboxes are actually an excellent size for packing DVDs when I moved.
Old 02-15-06, 02:53 AM

Shipping/moving threads:

Here, here, here, and here.

Maybe they can be merged and stickied?

For your collection size, I'd suggest getting medium size boxes and moving them in your trunk. That way you know where they are, and you're the one loading/unloading them. And it's easy access when you get there, because it's a proven fact that after a move, you set up the bed, order a pizza, and watch a movie.

Last edited by ShallowHal; 02-15-06 at 03:07 AM.
Old 02-15-06, 10:14 AM
Banned

I just moved two weeks ago into my new home for the final time, and I didn't have to used no extra internal packaging materials such as: bubble wrap, peanuts, plastic, etc, when I packed my DVDs. I just packed the DVDs (vertical) inside the box tightly to prevent any movement during transit, and there was not a single DVD, damaged, or scratched afterwards. This is exactly the way manufactures packaged, and shipped their DVDs to the retailers excluding all that extra inside packaging contents. Some people may be just a little too overcautious, and are initiating a lot more work for themselves than what's necessary.
Old 02-19-06, 07:13 PM

I moved a 700 dvd collection 2 years ago. I packed them two deep, spine up, in medium sized boxes. I bubbled wrapped the bejesus out of them, so much so that my family thought it was hysterical.

Then, I MOVED THEM MYSELF!! I know this sounds like overkill, but my dvds, a few pieces of luggage, my jewelry, and my laptop... well, they traveled with me in my trunk. I just didn't trust anyone else to be as careful.
Old 02-19-06, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
That's not a bad idea. If possible, carry the discs with you in a CD binder (I don't know how many discs you have, so I don't know if this is feasable) and ship the cases separately. Cases can be replaced much easier than the discs inside should something befall the box carrying them.
That would be my recommendation as well.