DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Wonder Years is in the works!

Old 10-07-11, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Wonder Years is in the works!

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
The intro is not the original Joe Cocker version. It's similar but definitely someone else. All the other classic tunes have remained.
I noticed it was different but thought it might have been when the networks edit the intro and adjust the song.
Old 10-07-11, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kyleblack View Post
The airings on The Hub are old Turner syndication versions.
I don't know what that means lol
Old 10-07-11, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
I don't know what that means lol
It means they are airing the versions originally used when The Wonder Years first aired in network syndication, with the Hub making their own edits for time/content. I don't what/if any music is replaced but do know The Hub has made a lot of edits including censoring dialogue.
Old 10-08-11, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kyleblack View Post
It means they are airing the versions originally used when The Wonder Years first aired in network syndication, with the Hub making their own edits for time/content. I don't what/if any music is replaced but do know The Hub has made a lot of edits including censoring dialogue.
Yeah, I've seen that as well, especially leaving out some blank spots as they can air more ads. Kind of stupid and frustrating to watch at times.
Old 02-11-14, 09:56 AM

Received 3,252 Likes on 2,209 Posts

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

STARVISTA ENTERTAINMENT/TIME LIFE IS
ABOUT TO FILL THE WORLD WITH WONDER...

2014 WILL SEE THE LONG-AWAITED RELEASE OF
THE BELOVED, EMMY AWARD-WINNING TV SERIES

THE WONDER YEARS
THE COMPLETE SERIES

NEVER BEFORE AVAILABLE ON DVD IN ITS ENTIRETY!

Consumers Interested in Receiving Updates
and Insider Looks at Exclusive Content
Can Visit WonderYearsDVDs.com

FAIRFAX, VA - In 2014, StarVista Entertainment/Time Life - the premiere marketer of classic TV on DVD - will release THE WONDER YEARS: THE COMPLETE SERIES to the home entertainment marketplace. The most requested TV series never to be released on DVD, which ran on ABC from 1988-1993, garnered multiple Emmy Awards, a Golden Globe and a Peabody, and was named by TV Guide as one of the "Top 20 Shows of the '80s" will make its very long-awaited debut in the second half of 2014. To best serve the numerous fans of the program, StarVista Entertainment/Time Life has launched WonderYearsDVDs.com, the official site for all updates, exclusive content and pre-orders.

Routinely praised for high-quality TV DVD collections, an archivist's attention to detail, and specially produced bonus programming on releases such as Get Smart, The Carol Burnett Show and China Beach, StarVista Entertainment/Time Life is planning a deluxe release of the The Wonder Years, which starred Fred Savage, Danica McKellar, Dan Lauria, Alley Mills, Jason Hervey, Olivia d'Abo, Josh Saviano and Daniel Stern, and featured as a theme song Joe Cocker's unforgettable rendition of the Beatles' "With A Little Help From My Friends."

"The Wonder Years has long been the most requested TV show yet to be released on DVD, and we're thrilled to have the incredible opportunity to bring this iconic show to its many fans," says Jeffrey Peisch, the Senior Vice President, Entertainment Programming & Marketing for StarVista Entertainment/Time Life. "As we've done with many other classic TV shows, the series will be treated with the care and attention it fully deserves after all these years, with deluxe packaging, robust extras and a lot more. We're really big fans of the series, too."

As it did for China Beach, StarVista Entertainment/Time Life is painstakingly securing the rights for virtually every song in The Wonder Years. From Cocker's theme song, to hundreds of other memorable and classic soul, rock and pop songs, including classics from The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Smokey Robinson, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison and many others, StarVista /Time Life recognizes the necessity to release the series as it was initially broadcast, un-edited and untouched from original broadcast masters.

The Wonder Years was created by Neal Marlens and Carol Black in association with New World Television, which was acquired in 1997 by 21st Century Fox (then News Corporation), the parent company of Twentieth Century Fox Television.
Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/19455#ixzz2t1elmudo
Old 02-11-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazing.
Old 02-11-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Holy shit. Day one purchase for sure.
Old 02-11-14, 10:00 AM

It really is... I never thought it would happen. Both Batman and The Wonder Years in the same year. IMO, the 2 most desired sets.
Old 02-11-14, 10:04 AM

I like the examples in the sign up for updates fields:

Old 02-11-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Nice

Waiting for the 1st person to say pass because Time Life releases are too expensive.

Love that it's unedited from the broadcast masters with all the music intact.

I'm going to guess this release will be between $150-200, mainly because of the music.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-11-14 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-11-14, 11:16 AM

About damn time!
Old 02-11-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the dying days of DVD's/physical media it is fantastic that this is finally getting a release. I assumed the only way it would see the light of day was through a Starvista/Time Life release. I have a feeling this one will likely be in the $250 (at least) range because not only the music but there were a bunch of TV clips from old shows interspersed as well.
Old 02-11-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Good news indeed. Nice to see actual confirmation from the company releasing this, and not the usual hearsay.
Old 02-11-14, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Nice

Waiting for the 1st person to say pass because Time Life releases are too expensive.

I'm going to guess this release will be between $150-200, mainly because of the music.
Probably...but I see commercials for their stuff all the time. China Beach for instance... ($39.99MSRP)$29.99 plus free shipping...but on Amazon its $22.99 (MSRP) and selling for $14.99. I think I'd pay $100 tops for it. I'd expect to wait a little longer for the $50-$60 range... If it stays a lot... I'll just ask for it as a gift.
Old 02-11-14, 11:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

virtually all of the music.... which is more than I would have expected and very excited to hear this news.
Old 02-11-14, 12:13 PM
Banned

Now, if we can get TimeLife to do a complete series set of WKRP...thought the music isn't really all that important even though people say it is....
Old 02-11-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

It is.
Old 02-11-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 855 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Good news indeed. Nice to see actual confirmation from the company releasing this, and not the usual hearsay.
Really dude, you're still going on about not believing the release of Batman?

Anyways I could be tempted to get this set depending on what the price is. I haven't seen all of the show in years but remember it was well done.
Old 02-11-14, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like how there's literally nothing more specific in that press release than what we know of the Batman release and he's satisfied because its a big block of text.
Old 02-11-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Wonderful news. I do hope they don't mess with the songs. I want to hear Newman's "I Think it's Going to Rain Today" during that amazing dissolve-flashback scene at the playground in the middle-school graduation episode, and Seger's "We've Got Tonight" in the broken leg episode.
Old 02-11-14, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Probably...but I see commercials for their stuff all the time. China Beach for instance... ($39.99MSRP)$29.99 plus free shipping...but on Amazon its $22.99 (MSRP) and selling for $14.99. I think I'd pay $100 tops for it. I'd expect to wait a little longer for the $50-$60 range... If it stays a lot... I'll just ask for it as a gift.
The complete series of China Beach is going for $199.95 right now for 4 seasons. It started out at around $250. I believe it's been out for almost 1 year. Time Life is barely just rolling out the individual seasons. Some people here complained that the China Beach set was ridiculously overpriced.
Old 02-11-14, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I'd be really careful doing that. I lost out on the complete series of GI Joe, Transformers, and Batman the Animated Series because I was waiting until it was cheaper. Now, they're all far more expensive than they were originally.
Old 02-11-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read about this on Foxnews, one of my top 3 TV shows of all time:
Wonder Years, Star Trek OS/NG and Columbo

I have to have the complete set, hope the price is not going to be too crazy.
Old 02-11-14, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really great news!

I've been putting off China Beach because of the price, and trying to pick up other oop titles (I just got the literal last two copies of two different DVD's from Amazon this weekend), but know I need to pull the trigger on CB soon. They do sometimes have discounts though, so it's worth regularly checking.
Old 02-12-14, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm glad I didn't grab the complete Chin Beach set last year. I wanted to support the company, and their efforts getting the music cleared. But ultimately it was just too extravagant an outlay for a show I was curious about but never watched.

Life went on and before I realized it the single season sets started to come out (w/extras). I've got the 3rd season pre-ordered and my total bill so far for the 3 (out of four) seasons is under $50.

Same will happen with WY...eventually. Congrats to the hardcore fans though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.