The Wonder Years is in the works!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Wonder Years is in the works!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-06, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope this series holds up. I used to watch it when I was a kid, but I have no idea what it was about anymore.
Old 02-12-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by astrochimp
After all this time it better be with every single song in tact and if not im willing to wait longer.
But are you willing to wait forever?

K
Old 02-12-06, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
But are you willing to wait forever?

K
Yes
Old 02-13-06, 04:00 AM

Changing the music for The Wonder Years is like changing the music for The A-Team.
Old 02-13-06, 01:47 PM

I doubt the UK release will hold up, its 1 month before its due to be released and no official word.

I think when they have to change some music (its gonna happen) they should try get the Producers to choose - and then throw a Special Feature on about them selecting and such. I know one set did something simmilar.
Old 02-13-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPDATE 2/11/06: I spoke to Gord of TVShowsonDVD.com and his sources tell him that there are no new updates on this set. So, now we have no idea if the set is really in the works or not. The source I spoke to at Fox said it was in the works, but his source says it isn't. So we are now just confused. We'll try to get more details if it is indeed in the works at all now. Sorry about this!
Old 02-13-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^Thanks. Looking forward to getting some info.
Old 06-23-06, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess this isn't happening?
Old 06-23-06, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I Wonder what Year this will come out if ever.
Old 06-23-06, 09:42 PM

Anyone know how the bootlegs are? I'm sick of waiting for this show to come out and I might just buy the series on ebay.
Old 06-23-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well...I didn't buy em...I downloaded them all off the net. As far as quality...season 1 is solid...then season 2-4 aren't so great but watchable. Then the last two seasons are great quality.
Old 06-23-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I guess this isn't happening?
It's still listed as a preorder...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...235820-1557260
Old 06-24-06, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
You don't have to take my word for it but since the theme song is a Beatles song there is no way in hell it would be on the dvds if released. If anyone has old tapes of Wonder Years, WKRP, and Quantum Leap and a lot of spare time on their hands it would be interesting to see lists of the songs that appeared on the shows. Maybe it's on the web somewhere.
Old 06-24-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
You don't have to take my word for it but since the theme song is a Beatles song there is no way in hell it would be on the dvds if released. If anyone has old tapes of Wonder Years, WKRP, and Quantum Leap and a lot of spare time on their hands it would be interesting to see lists of the songs that appeared on the shows. Maybe it's on the web somewhere.
Quantum Leap has been released in the U.K. with every bit of the original music intact. The explanation I've read is that U.K. copyright laws are less stringent than in the U.S. Don't know any further details. I'm not sure why the same thing couldn't be true of Wonder Years.

I've gotten R2 versions of Seasons 2 and 3 of QL and Season 4 will be released on Monday.
Old 06-24-06, 09:04 AM

I belive it was joe cocker who performs the opening theme song" with a little help from my friends" on the wonder years, when aired on tv/ and re-runs..
Old 06-24-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Al's Place which is a pretty big fan site for Quantum Leap has the list of changed music listed under the respective DVDs on that page.
Old 06-24-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movielib
Quantum Leap has been released in the U.K. with every bit of the original music intact. The explanation I've read is that U.K. copyright laws are less stringent than in the U.S. Don't know any further details. I'm not sure why the same thing couldn't be true of Wonder Years.

I've gotten R2 versions of Seasons 2 and 3 of QL and Season 4 will be released on Monday.
I think there is a difference if the tv show is a British show also. I noticed an episode of UFO has The Beatles' "Get Back" in it. Don't really know but there may be a difference in how songs/recordings are licensed for use in tv shows in Britain that allows for worldwide distribution of the the show on dvd without further negotiation. I heard somewhere that the use of "All You Need Is Love" was bought outright(no strings attached) for use in The Prisoner.
Old 06-24-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by avrilfan
I belive it was joe cocker who performs the opening theme song" with a little help from my friends" on the wonder years, when aired on tv/ and re-runs..
Yep, The Beatles. Not only would they have to clear rights to the song but also Joe Cocker's recording of it. Double whammy. Cocker/A&M Records would probably be amiable to the idea. He/They licensed "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" for use in Layer Cake which incidently is the track just preceeding "With A Little Help From My Friends" on the same CD/Album.
Old 06-26-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://home.tiscalinet.ch/mpuppis/ep...sicguide.shtml
Old 06-26-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Wow!
It's going to take a tremendous effort and money to clear all of the songs for a DVD release. As much as I love this show, I think I have given up all hope that this show will be released on DVD with the music intact.
Old 06-26-06, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did some searching on WKRP. Couldn't find a list of songs but evidently the music was changed even at the first syndication to local channels in the '80s due to cost of the rights. When resyndicated in the 90s by 20th Century Fox even more of the original music was replaced. When the show was made they were forced to use videotape rather than film because of the high cost of the music rights. Did find references to four songs that have been replaced:

Foreigner-Hot Blooded
Elton John- Tiny Dancer
Bob Seegar- Old Time Rock n Roll

The very first song from the very first episode that Johnny Fever played was a Ted Nugent song which has been replaced.

I personally remember:

Springsteen-Born to Run
Rolling Stones- Beast of Burden
Fleetwood Mac-Dreams
John Lennon-Woman

Did more searching. The replaced Ted Nugent song is "Queen of the Forest".
Other repaced songs

Eagles-The Long Run
A Pretenders song
The Star Wars theme
Police-De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
Doors-Light My Fire
The Who-Had Enough
Toto-Hold the Line
James Taylor-Smiling Face
Gone With the Wind theme
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Thank Heaven for Little Girls from Gigi
Supertramp-Goodbye Stranger
The trumpets from Patton was a running gag in one episode(replaced)
References to songs by Bachman Turner Overdrive, KISS and ELO
In the Thanksgiving turkey episode Johnny is playing "Dogs" from the Pink Floyd Animals album. Carlson is looking around because he thinks he's hearing real dogs(replaced).
A lot of different numbers were thrown around about the cost of these rights. The most common was $100,000 per episode x 90 episodes = $9 milliion for the entire series.

Last edited by rw2516; 06-26-06 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-26-06, 09:25 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I could careless about the opening music. They can play the Benny Hill theme song for all I care. Gimme Kevin Arnold!
Old 07-06-06, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by teamwinfan
I hope this series holds up. I used to watch it when I was a kid, but I have no idea what it was about anymore.
Yeah, I was like you. I watched it all the time as a kid but couldn't recall that much aside from the main details, it being about adolescence, Winnie, Paul and such, but I someone sent me a download of all the episodes recently and it's now my hands down favorite show ever. It really ripens with age.

And I'd love for this to be on DVD more than anything. Especially since the downloads are the pretty chopped syndication versions. But only if ALL the original music would be used like Freaks & Geeks, which I don't ever see happening.
Old 07-06-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't Michael Jackson own the rights to the Beatles songs? And aren't those songs used in everything from Nike commercials to car ads? If that's the case, it may not be too difficult to get the rights to the title song.
Old 07-06-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision
Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't Michael Jackson own the rights to the Beatles songs? And aren't those songs used in everything from Nike commercials to car ads? If that's the case, it may not be too difficult to get the rights to the title song.
What could they offer MJ to get the rights? We know he doesn't know what to do with cash and Fred Savage isn't 10 anymore.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.