WWE announces upcoming DVDs

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

WWE announces upcoming DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-06, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very happy to hear about most of these...I'm not that excited about the Cena set...he's pretty bad in the ring...and besides they already did a disc on him...how 'bout doing it for someone who's great like Kurt Angle who hasn't had a DVD done on him yet? I never thought we'd see one on Brian Pillman...but I think that's great...he had a lot of great matches in WCW and his Loose Cannon character was incredible...especially in ECW. Does anyone remember the Clash of Champions where Pillman grabbed Bobby Heenan, and Heenan worried about his neck while doing commentary yelled "fuck" live on the air?
Old 02-04-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
As for the women, how dare you neglect Sweet Sapphire from the list?!?!
LOL, Im sorry I forgot sweet sapphire!, Well I guess she would definitely take a part in the upcoming Dusty Rhodes DVD.
Old 02-04-06, 05:39 PM

To clarify from earlier, Heyman was managing in WCW/NWA long before he made the Dangerous Alliance. He managed the SST in 89 for sure and then Mean Mark before he split to be the Undertaker.
Old 02-04-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

also just out this week on DVD from TNA...
October 2005's Bound For Glory PPV

NWA World Heavyweight Title Match
Special Referee: Tito Ortiz
“King of the Mountain” Jeff Jarrett vs. “The War Machine” Rhino

10-Man Gauntlet For The Number One Contender:
Samoa Joe vs. Lance Hoyt vs. AJ Styles vs. The Alpha Male vs. Rhino vs. Sabu vs. The Truth vs. Kip James vs. Abyss vs. Jeff Hardy

Ironman X Championship Match
“The Phenomenal” AJ Styles vs. “The Fallen Angel” Christopher Daniels

Monster’s Ball 2
Abyss vs. Sabu vs. Rhino vs. Jeff Hardy

NWA World Tag Team Championship
America’s Most Wanted vs. The Naturals

Ultimate X Match
Chris Sabin vs. Petey Williams vs. Matt Bentley

Team Canada vs. The 3Live Kru

Lance Hoyt vs. “The Alpha Male” Monty Brown

The Diamonds In The Rough vs. Apolo, Sonny Siaki and Shark Boy

“The Samoan Submission Machine” Samoa Joe vs. Jushin “Thunder” Liger

Bonus Match: The Ultimate X Rematch
Bonus Footage: The TNA InterAction Fanfest
Old 02-04-06, 08:06 PM

no offense, but I cant seem to find any WWE from your post

Originally Posted by turborobb
also just out this week on DVD from TNA...
October 2005's Bound For Glory PPV

NWA World Heavyweight Title Match
Special Referee: Tito Ortiz
“King of the Mountain” Jeff Jarrett vs. “The War Machine” Rhino

10-Man Gauntlet For The Number One Contender:
Samoa Joe vs. Lance Hoyt vs. AJ Styles vs. The Alpha Male vs. Rhino vs. Sabu vs. The Truth vs. Kip James vs. Abyss vs. Jeff Hardy

Ironman X Championship Match
“The Phenomenal” AJ Styles vs. “The Fallen Angel” Christopher Daniels

Monster’s Ball 2
Abyss vs. Sabu vs. Rhino vs. Jeff Hardy

NWA World Tag Team Championship
America’s Most Wanted vs. The Naturals

Ultimate X Match
Chris Sabin vs. Petey Williams vs. Matt Bentley

Team Canada vs. The 3Live Kru

Lance Hoyt vs. “The Alpha Male” Monty Brown

The Diamonds In The Rough vs. Apolo, Sonny Siaki and Shark Boy

“The Samoan Submission Machine” Samoa Joe vs. Jushin “Thunder” Liger

Bonus Match: The Ultimate X Rematch
Bonus Footage: The TNA InterAction Fanfest
Old 02-04-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WWE’s product might be extremely shitty right now, but they are doing a good job on their DVD’s.

Also off topic, but that TNA pay-per-view mentioned above was great. If anyone is put off by the current product, give TNA a shot. Their weekly show suffers due to it being one hour, but their pay-per-views have been great.
Old 02-04-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The "new" WWE that embraces (cashes in) on wrestling history is pretty good at these releases. They have so much footage to sell, they will be able to stay bouyant even when arena and PPV business are down.
Old 02-04-06, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
The "new" WWE that embraces (cashes in) on wrestling history is pretty good at these releases. They have so much footage to sell, they will be able to stay bouyant even when arena and PPV business are down.

I agree with you on this. Same goes with their Classics Toy line-up which a top selling line-up for Jakks
Old 02-05-06, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Phineas444
To clarify from earlier, Heyman was managing in WCW/NWA long before he made the Dangerous Alliance. He managed the SST in 89 for sure and then Mean Mark before he split to be the Undertaker.
Heyman managed before he ever came to WCW...he managed in Memphis and the AWA. When he orginally came in to WCW he was managing The Oringinal Midnight Express (Randy Rhodes & Dennis Condrey) in the AWA...and they all jumped to WCW and started a feud with the WCW Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton & Stan Lane) jumping them on the TBS show while Jim Ross screamed "they don't even wrestle here."

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-05-06 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-05-06, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know...they could put out great sets of other wrestlers instead of having a DVD about the managers, Roddy Piper, etc.

How about a good one for Chris Jericho? Or The Rock? Or even a triple discer for HHH? Kurt Angle?

= J
Old 02-05-06, 02:55 AM

The Rock has had three DVD's, Triple H two.

What's wrong with a DVD release covering managers? Roddy Piper? These are meant for the old school fan, not the newbie fan that has no appreciation for either.

Kurt wil get his DVD when he retires. He has stated numerous times, he wants it done right, not rushed when he is still in the prime of his career.
Old 02-05-06, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Erik68

What's wrong with a DVD release covering managers? Roddy Piper? These are meant for the old school fan, not the newbie fan that has no appreciation for either.

Kurt wil get his DVD when he retires. He has stated numerous times, he wants it done right, not rushed when he is still in the prime of his career.

Angle will get his dvd way before he retires. I could see one next year. One was scheduled 2 years ago but got pulled at the last second.

Piper deserves a dvd. As well do the managers of wrestling. I hope the managers dvd is set up similar to the greatest stars of the 80's was. 10 to 15 profiles and various extras of matches, interviews, skits and whatever else of importance.

my 15 real quick....

Heenan, Jimmy Hart, Cornette, Grand Wizard, Arnold Skaaland
Blassie, Albano, Bearer/Percy Pringle, Ellering, Mr. Fuji
Miss Elizabeth, Sunny, Paul Heyman/Dangerously, Gary hart, Sherri

Man....what a lost art.
Old 02-05-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shacmasta
my 15 real quick....

Man....what a lost art.
Throw Slick in there instead of Sunny, and you've got a nice list.
Old 02-05-06, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by scott27
Throw Slick in there instead of Sunny, and you've got a nice list.
You can't forget Sir Oliver Humperdink. There are so many more I could mention.
Old 02-05-06, 12:40 PM

Yeah, the Oliver Humperdink vs. Bobby Heenan feud.

Also, don't forget...

Harvey Whippleman/Downtown Bruno
Old 02-05-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Erik68
I haven't seen a good Rock DVD. How about an anthology set like Flair's or Hart's?

= J
Old 02-05-06, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by shacmasta
Angle will get his dvd way before he retires. I could see one next year. One was scheduled 2 years ago but got pulled at the last second.

Piper deserves a dvd. As well do the managers of wrestling. I hope the managers dvd is set up similar to the greatest stars of the 80's was. 10 to 15 profiles and various extras of matches, interviews, skits and whatever else of importance.

my 15 real quick....

Man....what a lost art.
What about Missy Hyatt? She was hot in her day! By the way, when Roddy Piper came in the plan was for him to be a manager...they thought he was too small to wrestle often. He managed David Shultz and Paul Orndorff for a bit...but plans changed.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-05-06 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-05-06, 04:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't even like wrestling anymore, (in my opinion, it went way downhill after the draft) but I might check out Austin vs. McMahon. Great feud.
Old 02-05-06, 06:44 PM

I must be one of the older people posting in here because alot of the names mentioned here, I don't think deserve a dvd right now. I know there are alot of WWF fans here, and newer WWF fans but I grew up on the NWA and Mid-Atlantic area, which I think had some of the best pro wrestling ever. I know I am biased and it all depends on what you grow up watching but there are alot of other wrestlers, and fueds, who deserve a nice dvd treatment.

Vince bought all these libraries so he could own all of wrestling and I don't know if he really knows what to do with it. One damn sure fact, he can't own our memories. I wished that instead of him trying to buy every tape he can get his greedy hands on, at least make it where when they put out an "attitude" era dvd it wasn't blurred to death. Watching some of that stuff is painful. Not to mention all the edits on the Wrestlemanias.

Anyway, that is just a little rant and I am done lol.

I almost forgot about Paul Jones. He should also be on the list of managers. The feud he had with Jimmy Valiant was hot as hell.
Old 02-05-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I remember what Paul Jones said about Superstar Billy Graham-He called me every book in the name.This was on TBS-I am guessing 21 yrs ago.
Old 02-06-06, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by metalfan
I wished that instead of him trying to buy every tape he can get his greedy hands on, at least make it where when they put out an "attitude" era dvd it wasn't blurred to death. Watching some of that stuff is painful. Not to mention all the edits on the Wrestlemanias.
One thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other. I'm sure that Vince and co. would LOVE to not have to blur the scratch logo as much or more than we wish they didn't have to. Reality is they lost a lawsuit and they have to blur.

I think regardless of what you grew up watching, we should be happy that someone that cares about the footage of all those old promotions owns it. I would rather see fewer quality releases than the cheapo tripe you see in the WalMart $5.50 bin.

Additonally, everyone has to admit that the WWE has gotten a lot better at telling the truth about some things, maybe not 100% but light years away from 5 years ago. Back then they would never acknowledge any history but WWWF/WWF/WWE history. Right now there is a DVD on shelves where WWE personel, on a WWE produced product admits that Demolition was concieved as a copy of the Road Warriors. That's a huge step forward in company attitude, IMHO.
Old 02-06-06, 07:20 PM

Qui Gon Jim I think I understand where you're coming from but I have to disagree on a some points.

I'm sure that Vince and co. would LOVE to not have to blur the scratch logo as much or more than we wish they didn't have to.

I don't think they care about blurring one way or the other, especially as much or more as we do.

I think regardless of what you grew up watching, we should be happy that someone that cares about the footage of all those old promotions owns it.

Vince doesn't care about the footage, he cares about the profits they will make him.

Back then they would never acknowledge any history but WWWF/WWF/WWE history.

Because back then they didn't own as much stuff as they do. It would be like ABC doing a special on the history of CBS. Back then the WWF didn't talk about, say the NWA. The NWA didn't really talk about the AWA and so on. That's just how it was.

But my original point is there are alot of other wrestlers & feuds that deserve a nice dvd set than say Cena. Like I said, I think Vince bought all this footage, trying to own as much wrestling history as he can, and now he doesn't know what to do with it.
Old 02-06-06, 10:06 PM

Apparetnly WWE is coming out with another ECW dvd:

ECW Blood Sport: The Most Violent Matches -- Volume II

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/2006dvds
Old 02-06-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That was mentioned eariler in the thread.

Also they are putting out the Cena DVD to make some cash. Cena moves a lot of merchandise and brings a lot of money for the WWE. I know he gets boo'ed by half the fans, but still sells a lot of shirts and such. Thus, WWE is cashing in on that for a DVD.
Old 02-07-06, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by metalfan
Qui Gon Jim I think I understand where you're coming from but I have to disagree on a some points.

I'm sure that Vince and co. would LOVE to not have to blur the scratch logo as much or more than we wish they didn't have to.

I don't think they care about blurring one way or the other, especially as much or more as we do.
I think they care because it adds to the production costs.

I think regardless of what you grew up watching, we should be happy that someone that cares about the footage of all those old promotions owns it.

Vince doesn't care about the footage, he cares about the profits they will make him.
But he does employ people who care, and has the production abilities to put out top notch product. I agree that Vince may not care for altruistic reasons on both the above counts, but he does care.

Back then they would never acknowledge any history but WWWF/WWF/WWE history.

Because back then they didn't own as much stuff as they do. It would be like ABC doing a special on the history of CBS. Back then the WWF didn't talk about, say the NWA. The NWA didn't really talk about the AWA and so on. That's just how it was.
That's what I was getting at. A few years ago, you would not hear the words WCW, NWA or AWA on anything WWE released. That recognition of heritage is changing. Even if it is for a dollar, that's still a good thing. No company will do anyting without a financial benefit. I just think it's great that the WWE's financial goals mesh well with the fans wishes. We can't fault them for trying to make a buck. They aren't a charity.

But my original point is there are alot of other wrestlers & feuds that deserve a nice dvd set than say Cena. Like I said, I think Vince bought all this footage, trying to own as much wrestling history as he can, and now he doesn't know what to do with it.
Cena is a hot property right now and will sell some discs. I'm not one, but I would bet that any hardcore current Cena fan would say that a DVD of the Minnesota Wrecking Crew is a dumb idea. It is all a matter of perspective. If you don't like the Cena DVD, skip it. The other releases definitely balance things out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.