Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

friday the 13th tv series?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-31-06, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will this ever come out? has nothing to do with jason but is much more interesting than the movies. hopefully when the next friday movie comes, it'll be released.
Old 01-31-06, 05:25 PM

It's one of the top 5 on my wishlists. GREAT series. The others on my list are Batman, Banacek, Wild Wild West, and the Addams Family.
Old 01-31-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love this show. Creepy good. This was sometimes creepier than X-files.
Bring it on.
Anyone know what the hold up is??
Old 01-31-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to see this series released also.

THE WILD, WILD WEST Season 1 is coming this summer!
Old 01-31-06, 09:02 PM

I have fond memories of this, and War of the Worlds with Richard Chaves. The redhead was hot.
Old 02-01-06, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I really haven't seen much of this, the once or twice I watched it as a kid I thought "where the heck is Jason?" so that was that. But I'd probably pick it up now to check it out and give it a chance.
Old 02-01-06, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by reverie
I really haven't seen much of this, the once or twice I watched it as a kid I thought "where the heck is Jason?" so that was that. But I'd probably pick it up now to check it out and give it a chance.
same here. As a kid i was kinda turned off by the fact Jason wasn't on it. But now that I'm grown i think i'd appreciate it more. I'll pick it up when ever it comes out. (still waiting for monsters,amazing stories and nightmare on elm st series)
Old 02-01-06, 12:03 PM

this series isn't even on vhs. it would probably be awhile before a dvd comes out. paramount owns the rights i think.
Old 02-01-06, 01:48 PM

It's too bad people tuned this out because Jason wasn't there. It was a million times better than ANY Friday The 13th movie.
Old 02-01-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I really enjoyed this series also and would love to get this. The early years were really great. It kind of went downhill for me when they started replacing the original cast members. But the early shows were great and i'd pick them up on the same day they'd be released.
Old 02-01-06, 04:59 PM

Maybe Paramount will release the TV show in time to tie it in with the next Ft13th film release!
Old 02-01-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by deadpool24
this series isn't even on vhs. it would probably be awhile before a dvd comes out. paramount owns the rights i think.
Based on the indicators that I use to gauge upcoming releases, I would not be surprised to see this series start to be released in mid-2007.

Friday 13th: The Series was a great show saddled with the worst title. I almost didn't bother to check it out because of the title... but I'm glad I did. It was a lot of fun. I've added it to my list.
Old 02-01-06, 05:25 PM

I really want this show too. I always watch it when SCIFI channel plays it. And the article in the link says the "New Line is hoping to release its 10th film in the sturdy "Friday the 13th"" franchise on -- surprise -- Friday, Oct. 13. Studio's launched development of a script about Jason Voorhees' origins." But isn't there already 10 movies? So wouldn't the new one be the 11th movie? Or did i miss something as of late?
Old 02-01-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I was thinking since they released Poltergeist: The Legacy that maybe this would come out soon...
Old 02-01-06, 06:53 PM

I really want this show too. I always watch it when SCIFI channel plays it. And the article in the link says the "New Line is hoping to release its 10th film in the sturdy "Friday the 13th"" franchise on -- surprise -- Friday, Oct. 13. Studio's launched development of a script about Jason Voorhees' origins." But isn't there already 10 movies? So wouldn't the new one be the 11th movie? Or did i miss something as of late?
You mean the first film didn't deal with his origins? Movie studios are stupid.
Old 02-01-06, 07:03 PM

dvd set is on ebay. its pricey though for a bootleg.
Old 02-02-06, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember sneaking around to watch this series when I was a kid. It scares the shit out of me. Good times, good times.
Old 02-02-06, 10:30 AM
Banned

I have reported so many bootleg sets of the Friday The 13th TV Series that are on Ebay, Paramount MUST know people are buying the bootlegs since so many are on Ebay, why don't they do the right thing and give us a official release??
Old 02-02-06, 05:43 PM

I used to love this show when I was a kid. Let me run down the premise and make sure I have it right. It was a trio, a younger man and woman and an older man who worked to gather rare/haunted antique items that were used in strange ways for their shop? That's what I recall anyhow. I haven't seen it since it originally aired. I would love to see it again...
Old 02-02-06, 07:47 PM

Premise

An antiques dealer named Lewis Vendredi made a deal with the Devil to sell cursed antiques out of his antique store, "Curious Goods", in exchange for wealth and immortality. Once all of the antiques were sold, Vendredi was overcome by guilt and tried to reclaim them. The deal broken, the Devil came and claimed Vendredi's soul before he could recover the antiques.

The task then fell to the three inheritors of the shop:

Jack Marshak (played by Chris Wiggins) - Vendredi's friend, and a retired world-traveller who originally collected many of the antiques for Vendredi before they became cursed.
Ryan Dallion (played by John D. LeMay) - Vendredi's nephew.
Micki Foster (played by Louise Robey) - Vendredi's niece.
The series follows the three inheritors as they hunt down the cursed antiques, which are usually in the possession of people who have discovered their evil powers and are reluctant to give them up. Since the cursed antiques are completely indestructible, the ones that the group has acquired are locked away in a vault beneath the antique store.

Most of the stories in the series deal with people using the cursed objects for their own personal gain. All of the cursed objects grant either the user's deepest desire or some extraordinary power. For example, there is a cursed scalpel that gives a surgeon the ability to cure anyone and a cursed scarecrow that will guarantee a bountiful harvest. However, the curse always requires someone to die at the hands of the cursed object. For example, in order for the scalpel to work the surgeon will need to kill someone else with the scalpel. In order for the scarecrow to work, the farmer will need to pin a picture of someone on the scarecrow and the scarecrow will come to life and kill the person in the portrait. In most instances, the person using the cursed object ends up becoming a victim to the object's curse. Occasionally, there would be an episode in which the trio would have to deal their uncle's spirit or failed to obtain a cursed object, and the search would be continued in another episode.

Last edited by emhello; 02-02-06 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-02-06, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ShinMusashi44
Actually, this would technically be the 12th movie.

One assumes they are just not counting Jason X or Freddy vs Jason. Technically, if they are going to use the "Friday the 13th" title, this would be considered the 9th movie as Jason goes to Hell wasnt really part of the official titled series either.

After this, I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea where the number 10 came from.
Old 02-02-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought it was a great show although I don't understand the connection at all.

And the only Jason movie I've ever seen is Jason X.
Old 02-02-06, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I thought it was a great show although I don't understand the connection at all.

And the only Jason movie I've ever seen is Jason X.
The connection is that the Friday the 13th movie series was very popular when this show got the greenlight. Paramount then decided to use the title for this show to get ratings. Thats the only connection.

There was suppose to be crossover episode between this show and the movie series. They could have fit together well as both dealt with the supernatural at this point. This would have been a better idea as it might have cut off the later movies and the goofy directions they went it. This went into planning stages at one point during the show, but was decided against due to all the outrage from conservative groups at the time.

The only reason this show was ever cancelled when it was (It was a hit show in syndication) was because of mass pressure from groups insisting Jason has no place on television. Of course these groups obviously never saw the show.
Old 02-02-06, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by AllHallowsEve
Technically, if they are going to use the "Friday the 13th" title, this would be considered the 9th movie as Jason goes to Hell wasnt really part of the official titled series either.

After this, I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea where the number 10 came from.
Well, the sub-title for JASON GOES TO HELL was "The Final Friday" so that somewhat connects its full title to the original Ft13th film series. So JASON X as #10 makes sense. Whether or not FVJ qualifies as #11 is up to personal opinion, I suppose.

The TV series was called "Friday's Curse" in most overseas markets so the Jason stigma is mostly only against its US airing. I would love to see this series released on DVD as well. I watched it religiously every week on its original syndication broadcast and was a big fan, although I do agree that it got a little tired towards the end. But this show had some excellent horror tv episodes including one directed by David Cronenberg and deserves to find a wider audience. I haven't seen it since it first aired, but I'm sure it will hold up quite well today, especially considering what juvenile tv-horror poseurs we've had to suffer through since (Buffy anyone?).
Old 02-03-06, 01:13 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great show, how did it end?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.