DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Criterion Eisenstein box set OOP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Criterion Eisenstein box set OOP?

Did a search, didn't find anything...

I've been meaning to buy the Criterion "Eistenstein: The Sound Years" box set for the past six or eight months, but kept putting it off. I decided I'd order it through Deep Discount's 40% off sale.

It's not available through them anymore. DVD Planet says "Discontinued". Has this title gone out of print? Is it perhaps being replaced?
Old 01-25-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are a few sites to use as reference tools if you have similar questions in the future:

www.criterionco.com
Go to the "Browse the Collection" tab. All of their releases are listed, and any titles that are out of print are noted as such.

www.dvdaficionado.com
Search for the title you're asking about in the window up top. Most of the time, DVDAF is on top of whether a title has been discontinued or not...so if a title is out of print, it'll usually be listed as such in their database. You can also click on the image for a price comparison, which will tell you what sites currently have it for sale (and at what prices).

This set isn't listed as OOP on Criterion's site or on DVDAF...and their price comparison search engine says that it's still available and in stock on Amazon, Buy.com, and DVD Empire. So, I'd say that all signs point to no, this isn't out of print (probably just out of stock at various online retailers). Sorry I can't offer a definite answer.

-JP
Old 01-25-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naturally the first thing I did was visit the Criterion site - way before I posted this thread - but I'm sure you're aware that many times we hear through the grapevine about Criterion OOPs before they get noted as such on their site.

Anyway, I said DVD Planet in my post, but I meant DVD Empire. And I got there by following the "buy" link from criterionco.com . It says "Discontinued" there.