Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Just wait for the DVD instead of watching the show on TV?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Just wait for the DVD instead of watching the show on TV?

Old 01-25-06, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
So you stare at the discs?
I don't have Television... I have a television set... I.E. No channels. LoL.
Old 01-25-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I don't watch any tv at all...I just pick up the dvds of the shows that interest me.
Besides there is no way on hell I would be able to watch 24 with one measly episode a week. I go through 3-4 episodes a sitting when I'm watching a season on DVD.
Old 01-25-06, 12:11 PM
JM1

I think the important difference with waiting for the DVD box set is CHOICE - once you have that set in your hand...

YOU choose to watch as many episodes as you want, when you want
YOU choose not to have any adverts
YOU choose what sound format you want to listen in (5.1, 2.0)

Yes, you can also choose to watch it on TV first - but I think the disadvantages of TV and cable/satellite viewing which have been highlighted above are many.

On a related note, TV adverts in the UK have reached an all time low lately - some channels seem to keep showing the same damn trailers all the time, and the cable channels are the worst...it's just an endless diet of debt problems, injury/compensation claims (If I hear that bloody obnoxious woman who says "So, injury lawyers-for-you..." again I will scream), insurance companies and loan applications. Awful.
Old 01-25-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I never watch any shows on television. I just wait for the DVD. However if I had a neilson box, I would not do this as much.
Old 01-25-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Currently I watch as many of the shows I like while they are on regular TV, so I don't have to buy them on DVD (Aside from a few shows that I want to own and know I'll watch again like 24, The Shield, or Rescue Me).
Old 01-25-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wait for TV shows to come out on DVD, in part because I only get two channels of TV, and mediocre reception at that. Like others above, I prefer watching TV shows without ads, at my own pace, and in better quality than when broadcast.

I did stop watching a series several years ago because I knew it was coming out on DVD (earlier seasons were already out) and I figured I'd just wait.

I have definitely become a "TV on DVD" fan!
Old 01-25-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This current season of "24" is the first one I've seen not on DVD. It's hell waiting for a week waiting to find out what happens next!
Old 01-25-06, 05:57 PM

I've never waited for a DVD to come out if I can catch the show on TV. Mostly because I'm a huge fan of the shows I watch and can't wait to catch the next episode. Also because of ratings. I want to help the shows out I like to help guarantee DVD releases and new seasons. Though I've never waited for a show to be released to watch the season I have become a fan of shows through their DVD releases.
Old 01-25-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do the same thing and am not sure I could tell you the last time I watched a series via weekly TV. I've been waiting for The Dead Zone and The 4400 to release their season sets before checking them out rather than trying to make it a point to catch them (and their commercials) each week.
Old 01-25-06, 11:56 PM

i do this, definately. i always find that i'm too busy to keep up with shows on a week to week basis, but i hate to miss out on any that follow in any sort of story order (like scrubs, for instance). so i just wait for dvd.

that's why i love having netflix, too. i use it for virtually nothing but television dvds, particularly hbo dramas, which are ridiculously expensive purchases.
Old 01-27-06, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I do that with 24, Lost, Smallville, Alias, and The Dead Zone. I prefer to watch them in mini-marathons without commercials so I wait for the DVD's. I used to do that with The Shield too, but this season I've been watching them as they debut on FX (mostly because there isn't a whole lot else on I find worthwhile). And, of course, I now do this with all the HBO shows since I cancelled the service last year.
Old 01-28-06, 06:51 AM

I do as well. Being over in Europe with the military does have some disadvantages with television, other than the 6 hr time difference with the NFL. The Armed Forces Network won't show some of the series that I like (The Shield, Deadwood) so as these become available on DVD, I either buy them or borrow them from the library.