Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Close Captioning SHOULD be mandatory! [gripe]

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
colored captions: Cool. My cable box lets you choose the point size, font, color, and transparency of the captions, if any, and digital broadcasts.
When playing with the closed caption menu on our smaller tv, I've noticed there are actually 4 options for captions-CC1, CC2, TXT1, TXT2. TXT1 looks like it takes up the entire screen with text, but I'm not sure. Anyone know what the others do?
Old 01-18-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts
There are actually 4 separate 'channels' of captioning, but I've never seen anything that actually used more than 1 aside from a few demos. Some tapes I have of the ABC network in the early 1980s have a demo running on Caption 2 saying "This is the secondary captioning channel which may be used for providing captions in another language". The Text 1 and 2 channels were used on ABC also, one channel had a schedule of all captioned shows for the week, the other sometimes had sports scores or news about the National Captioning Institute.
Old 01-19-06, 09:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

What's interesting is that from the beginning, they included the ability to have captions in different colors yet it's hardly ever been used. The only thing I've ever seen it used fully on is the John Denver & The Muppets Christmas special, taped off the air in 1982. Whenever Kermit talks the captions are green, and all the other characters get their own color also. The only other time I've seen colors used is on a couple Warner titles where they'll stick a notice in yellow saying "Captioning by Warner Home Video".
sorry to go off topic here, but I would love to have this Muppet special on DVD (hint, hint, nudge, nudge Disney Home Video)
Old 01-19-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think it should be manditory, but all DVDs should have it on all their extras & feature (including commentary).

I find myself rewinding too many times because an actor mumbled his lines. I use the captioning alot.
Old 01-19-06, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I find myself rewinding too many times because an actor mumbled his lines. I use the captioning alot.
Esp in English/Scottish/Irish movies where they have thick accents.
Old 01-19-06, 11:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
There are actually 4 separate 'channels' of captioning, but I've never seen anything that actually used more than 1 aside from a few demos.
The Tonight Show and 60 Minutes have Spanish closed captions for their US broadcasts. Don't know of any others.
Old 01-23-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've watched two movies in the last week from Sony (Junebug and Heights. They both had French subtitles and not English.
I can hear just not well ( I wear two hearing aids) so it's always nice to have subtitles.
Old 01-25-06, 10:57 PM
Cool New Member

[QUOTE=Julie Walker]

And yet their release of Ichi:The Killer has 'captions for children'. It's not listed on the package,but if you have a PC,you can see the caption option and turn it on if you like. Here is what the 'captions' contained.

Whoever was typing the words was just typing random opinions and views on the film as they watch it. Stating stuff like "gee this film is weird huh?" "It makes no sense" and other stupid comments.

If SS could waste all that money it cost to get that shitty 'feature'. They could afford to get real captions done don't you think?

QUOTE]

Actually that was pretty much essential. The "stupid comments" were actually the english translation of the Miike/Yamamato commentary. I have no idea why it is identified as "captions for children" though.
Old 01-25-06, 11:31 PM

I'm deaf too, I really think they should make closed captioning on all of the DVDs too. I mean it might even benefit people who are hard of hearing, deaf, and it also makes you learn the words too as it improves some readability skills.
Old 01-26-06, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually that was pretty much essential. The "stupid comments" were actually the english translation of the Miike/Yamamato commentary. I have no idea why it is identified as "captions for children" though.

I think you're mistaking subtitles for captions here.

Since I know the dvd had subtitled commentary track as well as English subtitles for the dialogue(along with an English dub track).

But the 'captions' option seemed fishy to me and hardly appeared to be a translation of the commentary. I have never seen a CC commentary before. So it wouldn't make sense for SS to spend money on that when they already had subtitles done for the commentary.

Then again,this is SS afterall and they make no sense much of the time.