Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Altered aspect ratio for Widescreen TVs (NO!)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Altered aspect ratio for Widescreen TVs (NO!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by awmurray
I didn't know this was part of the DVD spec. It seems like a good solution but the issue isn't quite as simple as defining the P&S region. In some cases, the image has to be squeezed to fit it on the screen. Here is the perfect example from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in which the Marauder's Map had to literally be squashed because both sides of the widescreen had to be shown at the same time or the scene wouldn't make any sense at all.[/url]
You're right. There are definately cases where studios reformat scenes rather just P&Sing them. I had never heard of a case like this, where the picture is actually squashed, though. I'm not sure how long that scene lasts - maybe a pan across the map would have worked in place of the reformatting.
Old 01-23-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out the original 1988 transfer of Die Hard for VHS ( Not sure about LD ). It looked as if the 2.35 image was cropped for 1.85 and then sqweezed together to fit 1.33. Pretty strange transfer as everyone looked really tall and thin, not to mention the intended light glares looking more of an oval shape.

Sqweezing used to be a normal practice back in VHS days with older films filmed in widescreen. Mostly during credit seqences, where instead of using letterboxing to show the entire scenes, they would just swqeeze it.
Old 01-23-06, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
What you people really should be bitching about is that no studios are taking advantage of the DVD specifications that allow for coding of "on the fly" P&S which would let a studio encode a movie once (in WS with P&S tags) and make most everybody happy.
Another problem with this feature is that most films framed for 1.85:1 nowadays are shot open-matte in 1.37:1, meaning that the 4:3 actually shows more than the WS version, and is not a P&S job, or at least not a straight P&S job.

Studios used to put both WS and 4:3 versions on one DVD, but space considerations due to demand for increased video quality and more extras have eliminated that practice for most movies over 90 minutes.
Old 01-23-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by awmurray
I didn't know this was part of the DVD spec. It seems like a good solution but the issue isn't quite as simple as defining the P&S region. In some cases, the image has to be squeezed to fit it on the screen.
Presuming that something like that can't be handled with seamless branching, I say "screw'em" - the people who want their movie cropped can just live with it. Most of them will probably never even notice the ocassional problem like that and those that do - just tell them to watch it in widescreen mode so they can see the entire image like god meant them to.
Old 01-23-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let the fullscreen people who don't like black bars zoom into the fullscreen format for a 1.78 image, hey it's not like they care about missing some of the image right?