Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Lovers of the Arctic Circle: 4/25/06?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lovers of the Arctic Circle: 4/25/06?

It appears that Julio Medem's Lovers of the Arctic Circle will finally be seeing a stateside release through HVE/Image on April 25th. I haven't seen an official announcement as of yet, though. Hopefully we'll see an improved transfer over the Tartan R2 (which I was literally seconds away from ordering before coming across this info!).

Last edited by Cosmic Bus; 01-17-06 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-17-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good Lord I hope this is true, and if so, it's about damn time. Here's hoping an announcement of an R1 release of La Ardilla Roja isn't far behind.
Old 01-18-06, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
....(which I was literally seconds away from ordering before coming across this info!).
The film has no deserving release whatsoever. The Tartan disc is of FoxLorber-esque quality. The Spanish disc is also horrendous (regardless of what DVDBeaver states), the Dutch disc (non-English friendly) is also terrible as the color scheme is off.

I am not quite so sure how Image will handle this film as their recent Spanish releases (they acquired a huge catalog of Spanish cinema) have been a hit and miss affair!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-18-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
The film has no deserving release whatsoever. The Tartan disc is of FoxLorber-esque quality. The Spanish disc is also horrendous (regardless of what DVDBeaver states), the Dutch disc (non-English friendly) is also terrible as the color scheme is off.

I am not quite so sure how Image will handle this film as their recent Spanish releases (they acquired a huge catalog of Spanish cinema) have been a hit and miss affair!

Ciao,
Pro-B
I buried my TARTAN release in the back yard...

*shudder*

Last edited by Heliosphann; 01-18-06 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-18-06, 12:43 PM

...so why are most of the Medem DVD's of such awful quality? I have the region 1 of "Tierra" and is almost unwatchable. I wonder if the region 2 DVD of "The Red Squirrel" is any good. Xploited Cinema is selling it for $15.95
Old 01-18-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Red Squirrel Region 2 DVD does look good! The Tartan Arctic Circle is not that bad as well, considering it's anamorphic. I hope they remaster all of Medem's movies onto Region 1. That's awesome news...
Old 01-18-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was close to getting the Tartan version today given the sale at Amazon UK... glad I held off!
Old 01-18-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Let me restate my opinion one more time...the UK disc is horrendous...muddy, forced subs (if I can recall correctly), total lack of suitable contrast, etc.

The UK (and Spanish) Red Squirrel is also poor...

I am sorry but for whatever reason these are INDEED some of the worst DVDs Tartan produced....for some of the most beautiful films they have in their catalog.

Ok...Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-18-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by siegfried
...so why are most of the Medem DVD's of such awful quality?

...this is mystery to me too. Him and Bigas Luna...Unbelievable!!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-19-06, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the head's up. I had the R2 on order with Amazon UK (the price had fallen), but was able to cancel it this morning after reading this thread. I'm hoping for an HVE-quality (rather than an Image-quality) transfer.
Old 04-16-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, does anyone have the NTSC Region 1 dvd yet? Can anyone do a comparison to the UK PAL DVD. Is the video quality and the DD 5.1 worth the upgrade?
Old 04-16-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have it in my review-box so when it appears (if it does) I would let you know (and everyone else of course). With this said, just about any new release should be an improvement over the old UK duff!!!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 04-26-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received and watched my copy of the R1 a couple of days ago. I hadn't seen the R2 release to directly compare (just the caps on DVD Beaver), but HVE's disc is beautiful. Wonderfully bright, clean, colorful transfer; possibly a bit too sharp, but I'm not set up for anamorphic viewing, so I can't say how this will look on widescreen sets. Very, very pleased with this one!
Old 04-26-06, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Received and watched my copy of the R1 a couple of days ago. I hadn't seen the R2 release to directly compare (just the caps on DVD Beaver), but HVE's disc is beautiful. Wonderfully bright, clean, colorful transfer; possibly a bit too sharp, but I'm not set up for anamorphic viewing, so I can't say how this will look on widescreen sets. Very, very pleased with this one!
Thanks for the good news! I've been waiting for a comparison review at DVD Beaver before I make a purchase.
Old 04-27-06, 12:33 PM

Thank God

That's great news. I pre-ordered this with the hope that it would be a decent transfer.
Old 05-04-06, 06:01 PM

Ladies and gents, the region 1 transfer of 'Lovers Of The Arctic Circle' is LEAPS AND BOUNDS superior to the region 2 editions. The movie looks very clean and the colors are just as they should be (as opposed to the bluish tint of the Spanish R2 version).

I also love the DVD cover as well. This is a MUST BUY if you're a fan of the movie.
Old 05-04-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loaded Man, is it better than the UK DVD? Is the DD 5.1 surround sound active too?

man, why can't anyone review this masterpiece allready? I had to wait a month before finding a Region 1 DVD review of Emir Kusturica's UNDERGROUND. I hope it won't take that long for LOVERS OF THE ARCTIC CIRCLE...