Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will 1492 be released in my lifetime?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-12-06, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok- I know this subject has been covered many times before,but I think its time for a 2006 discussion. 1492- CONQUEST OF PARADISE is one of my favorite Ridley Scott films. Could Paramount or someone from Ridley Scotts office explain why this film is having such a hard time finding its way to dvd.

Last edited by larry bender; 01-12-06 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-12-06, 11:32 PM

It'll be released in a 3-pack with Pink Floyd's Pulse and the Batman 60s TV series.
Old 01-13-06, 08:42 AM

It might be because the 1992 Columbus's 500th anniversary exploitation films were both hideous. 1492: Conquest of Paradise was awful, not awful like Gladiator was awful in a good way, but awful in a bad way. Then again, 1492 could have been worse. It could have been Christopher Columbus: The Discovery, which was even worse.

Last edited by Mr. Cornell; 01-13-06 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-13-06, 12:24 PM

It's available in some other regions if you are region free. I picked up the Brazilian Special Edition of eBay for $20. It has a anamorphic widescreen transfer (although it doesn't look that great) and DD 5.1. It's the best release available. It's good to be region free.
Old 01-13-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would love to have somebody explain to me also, why no region 1 dvd?

1492: Conquest Of Paradise, is hands down my favorite Ridley Scott film. I am outraged that this has not been released by Paramount Pictures on dvd, they hold the rights to it's USA video distribution.

An explanation is needed from Paramount Pictures. I won't waste my time writing them, since this was announced and than pulled from their schedule in 2004.

Last edited by dvd_luver; 01-14-06 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-13-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cornell
1492 could have been worse. It could have been Christopher Columbus: The Discovery, which was even worse.
Christopher Columbus: The Discovery, is a bad film, it's just awful, and cannot compete with 1492: Conquest Of Paradise, as that film makes CC: TD look like a 60's B movie, or even a parody of 1492: Conquest Of Paradise actually. It's quite a shame that 1492 and this film are often brought up with eachother. It's quite insulting if you have seen how brilliant 1492: Conquest Of Paradise is.

If CC: TD had never been released before 1492, than more than likely 1492 isn't a flop, and a box office hit, and appreciated by many.

It's that film that has left 1492, largely ignored by audiences to a degree.

Last edited by dvd_luver; 01-14-06 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-14-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scrotalsac187
It's available in some other regions if you are region free. I picked up the Brazilian Special Edition of eBay for $20. It has a anamorphic widescreen transfer (although it doesn't look that great)
That's an understatement. On a non-anamorphic TV, or 4:3 TV, there are double black bars, eventhough the film itself still sits at it's correct aspect ratio. It is very distracting if you have it going on a 4:3 TV. The real reason to buy this, of course, are the special features. Which are unique to this dvd.

Definitive, this isn't.
Old 01-15-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by scrotalsac187
It's available in some other regions if you are region free. I picked up the Brazilian Special Edition of eBay for $20. It has a anamorphic widescreen transfer (although it doesn't look that great) and DD 5.1. It's the best release available. It's good to be region free.
I got this one as well, and it's good only for the 5.1 track that's on it. I actually have the Region 3 Korean edition which includes a cd of Vangelis' amazing soundtrack. The drawback to this edition is the 2.0 Dolby track - no 5.1. BUT, the picture is miles above the Brazilian version, and both are the full versions which include the 3+ minutes that were cut out of the US release. To show you how big a fan I am, I even have this on laserdisc I bought back in the day. Oddly, there are some pictures on the back of the laserdisc cover of scenes that are not in the Brazilian or Korean editions. For example, there is a picture of the Queen (Sigourney all non-Ripley) where she is in a garden. I'm not holding my breath that Paramount is putting this one on the fast track for release, especially with all of the next-gen dvd already in the works.

Last edited by E Unit; 01-15-06 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-15-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

trespoochies, you mean these 2 scenes right?

Old 01-16-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd_luver
If CC: TD had never been released before 1492, than more than likely 1492 isn't a flop, and a box office hit, and appreciated by many.
Neither movie made any money at the box office. It isn't like people went to see Christopher Columbus: The Discover instead of 1492. They didn't want to see either.

I really wanted to like 1492. It was lovely to look at, but Depardieu was horrendously miscast and the movie so dull I never did make it to the end despite 2 tries. I'm willing to give it another shot if it ever comes to DVD, though.
Old 01-16-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by emhello
It'll be released in a 3-pack with Pink Floyd's Pulse and the Batman 60s TV series.
Don't forget the El Cid bonus disc and mail in offer for African Queen.
Old 01-17-06, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
trespoochies, you mean these 2 scenes right?

Bingo, that's the one I am referring to. I wish there was a scene of this on one of my dvd editions.

People seem to rip on this movie a lot. I love this history and I thought it was a well done version. Of course, there's storyline gaps the size of the Grand Canyon, but I think this is perhaps Scott's best looking movie. But hell, he covered some 30 years of Spanish History and condensed it into 2.5 hours. Kind of like a Cliff's Notes of sorts. But I love the fact there isn't any CGI used in it. It's a very organic looking movie....I think better looking than Gladiator. He somewhat resurrected this look and feel in Kingdom of Heaven.
Old 01-17-06, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

trespoochies, I couldn't agree more. People, seem to definitly be way to hard on the film.

I hadn't watched 1492 for months now on dvd, since like August or so, and I decided to spin my Japanese dvd version of it this evening. Watching it again makes me want a director's cut really bad. It also makes me scratch my head as to why Paramount has not released this at all on dvd yet. As nice as all the overseas dvd versions are, I would like to see what Paramount could do to improve the video and audio of the film, as well as for extras, improvements can be made over all the other versions made available.

Film lovers, who enjoy this film are getting tired of waiting for a region 1 release.

The thread title says it all.
Old 01-18-06, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe they'll finally get it out in time for the 600th Anniversary of the Columbus travels. So that would give Paramount until 2092 to put something descent out there.....really though, I would be pleased as punch of they did just that, just release the damn movie with cleaned up picture and sound. My little dream would to have this released in DTS-ES...but hey, why invest in something like that. I guess Top Gun is where it begins and ends for that kind of sound.

Another reason why i want Paramount to release this is so that they will HOPEFULLY have the teaser trailer for this - for those who actually remember it. Even then, Paramount themselves had a hard time marketing this one....is it an action flick? Is it a drama? But the teaser had clips of the movie set to Enigma's song Sadness. It was pretty cool. But the second trailer was a real head scratcher. It showed in slo-mo Depardieu hopping off the boat onto the beach and kneeling, but the audio was that of Neil Armstrong's landing on the moon. Yeah, I know the connection, but what a weird way to make an audience go "Hey, now I do want to see that..." Poor Ridley needs to get some way better marketing people, whether at Paramount, or at 20th Century Fox, where they F---ed up Kingdom of Heaven. Not to mention them hacking that movie up just like 1492.

Last edited by E Unit; 01-18-06 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-18-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

trespoochies, we share some of the same thoughts on everything about this film, and all the good and the bad that has come with it since it's US theatrical release.

I know what trailers you are talking about. I love em' both. I actually thought that the moon landing trailer was a good marketing tool by Paramount, it's a very well done trailer, it works because of the impact that scene has on the viewer, Depardieu jumping out of that boat, a great scene with visions of the coming huge future historical implications obviously of this discovery by the Europeans. A perfect, to the point trailer. The one with the Enigma song was great to, but that moon landing trailer was the bait that made me want to see this at the theater the day of release, and I did.

As for the dvd being released in 2092, that's a good joke I have had dance in my head as well on occasion. The wait for this release has been just that long. We can wait another 100, right?

I have never actually seen Kingdom Of Heaven, so can't comment on it.
Old 01-18-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great....the marketing worked on two people......me and you. Sigh...

Watch Kingdom of Heaven when you can. I think it's well done, although it has a significant amount of CGI, but not as bad as Gladiator. And theere isn't as much assault of accents as 1492. But Kingdom is another one that's dying for the inevitable SE Directors cut soon. I can't help to think 1492 as a decent amount of footage left out. My guess Scott had this one in the neighborhood of 3 hours. Who knows until Paramount gets off their asses. Okay - off the soap box.
Old 01-18-06, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trespoochies
Great....the marketing worked on two people......me and you. Sigh...

Watch Kingdom of Heaven when you can. I think it's well done, although it has a significant amount of CGI, but not as bad as Gladiator. And theere isn't as much assault of accents as 1492. But Kingdom is another one that's dying for the inevitable SE Directors cut soon. I can't help to think 1492 as a decent amount of footage left out. My guess Scott had this one in the neighborhood of 3 hours. Who knows until Paramount gets off their asses. Okay - off the soap box.

well if Paramount doesn't even the include the slightly expanded International cut of the film - they are morons.
Old 01-18-06, 03:55 PM

Sadly, no. You will die before your next birthday.
Old 01-18-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
A high-definition version of 1492 was in rotation on HDNet Movies last year. Might be worth keeping an eye on their schedule to see if it pops up again.
Old 01-19-06, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
A high-definition version of 1492 was in rotation on HDNet Movies last year. Might be worth keeping an eye on their schedule to see if it pops up again.
Yes, I completely forgot to mention that it's been playing on HDnet. By far, it's the best looking and sounding release thus far. Which mystifies me and I'm sure several others about it. HDNet has donethe same thing to Blade Runner (it's these bloody Ridley Scott ones) where the television presentation looks MILES above and beyond the dvd release. And the 5.1 sound on the TV presentation is more dynamic then the Brazilian dvd release.

So can someone please explain why and HOW HDNet can do this? Are they cleaning the movies up themselves??? Maybe they should start releasing dvd's of these movies.
Old 01-19-06, 09:29 AM

<---- *lovingly glances at his anamorphically-enhanced "1492" and "Blade Runner (Theatrical Version)" DVDs, mastered from LD ports*...

I can wait, I can wait... *twitch*...
Old 01-19-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

trespoochies, I will have to checkout Kingdom Of Heaven sometime. Will probably wait for a Directors Cut of the film. Agreed, Paramount could use the US theatrical version, and digitally re-master those scenes included in the International cut.

I also was aware that 1492 was playing in Hi-Def on HDnet movies. I am sure that master would blow to shreds any dvd version ever released, anytime, anyplace, anywhere. So, is there a legal way for Paramount to use that master for a DVD, or HD-DVD and Blu-Ray?

Or, are they going to make us wait 100 years for the Columbus 600th anniversary edition of 1492 on a future media format.

C'mon Paramount.
Old 01-19-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by trespoochies
So can someone please explain why and HOW HDNet can do this? Are they cleaning the movies up themselves??? Maybe they should start releasing dvd's of these movies.
The HD masters that HDNet uses are provided to them by the studio. They don't do their own transfers.

So, the good news is that HD transfers for both of these films have been mastered and are available. The bad news is that it's a matter of corporate politics when (if ever) they'll be released on home video.
Old 01-19-06, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and even looking at the movies HDnet broadcasts in Hidef makes the mouth water - I would love to see (or own for that matter) My Fair Lady in hidefinition.

http://www.hd.net/index.html
Old 01-19-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cornell
It might be because the 1992 Columbus's 500th anniversary exploitation films were both hideous. 1492: Conquest of Paradise was awful, not awful like Gladiator was awful in a good way, but awful in a bad way. Then again, 1492 could have been worse. It could have been Christopher Columbus: The Discovery, which was even worse.
Cmon..why would that stop them from releasing it? plenty of so-called crap out on dvd now..one mans crap is another mans treasure...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.