Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD layers look like coffee stains, problem?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-06, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a DVDs layers look like coffee stains is there a problem with the disc or will there eventually be a problem? I've encountered this more and more lately and I want to know if I should take the discs back and exchange them or not worry about it. There's no scratches on the bottom of the discs, but the layers look like coffee stains instead of the natural solid usually seen. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 01-05-06, 11:38 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I've recently started to see these a lot, as well. I don't think it's a problem, because the discs seem to play fine. I hope it isn't a problem.
Old 01-06-06, 07:29 AM

No, in fact this is known as the "coffee stain effect". It usually takes the form of irregular patches of darker colouring on the play side of the disc.

It is caused by uneven application of the lacquer layer in the DVD, resulting in a patchily darker than usual gold/copper tint.

It should not cause any problems, since the laser can still read the data layer properly.

I have many discs like this - nearly all of my A&E Avengers ones for example, and quite a lot of Anchor Bay discs. They play perfectly after six or seven years.

On the other hand, discs which have patches of really dark colour, like a dark bronze, or which have turned completely this colour, are a problem. But you'd know that because they'd already be unplayable!

All this aside, I'm a firm believer in player a disc through soon after purchase, just in case it does have problems.
Old 01-06-06, 08:03 AM

All this aside, I'm a firm believer in player a disc through soon after purchase, just in case it does have problems.
This is a fine point. All the more so if you have the time to do so, and, while one could argue that if you don't have the time, you shouldn't have bought the DVD in the first place, I am curious to know what people's thoughts are about programs such as DVDInfo for reviling potential DVD problems without spending the time watch the disc all the way through.

I don't wish to hi-jack this thread, so if this topic is more suited to its own thread, please let me know. However, I thought it was closely related enough to include my inquiry here initially.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-06, 10:45 AM

I have read posts from people saying that the dreaded Universal DVD-18 discs which caused them problems have passed disc error checkers properly. That could be because DVD-ROM drives are more tolerant, or that PC's will retry a discread several times whereas a standalone player just gives up or throws up nasties. However, this argument is open, since others have reported that the same discs have failed or thrown up large numbers of errors...

IMHO it is always worth taking out every disc as soon as you get it and inspecting it for obvious defects like scratches or cracks (specially big boxsets) and playing the discs through, or at least chapter-skipping through, soon after you get them.

Also worth Googling the title in combination with "DVD fault" or somesuch, as well as doing a forum search at DVDTalk for the title - something with problems usually throws up lots of posts!

I always make sure I do this before buying a foreign import title (I import loads from the US here to the UK), as returning those is both painful and expensive.
Old 01-06-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nebiroth
No, in fact this is known as the "coffee stain effect". It usually takes the form of irregular patches of darker colouring on the play side of the disc.

It is caused by uneven application of the lacquer layer in the DVD, resulting in a patchily darker than usual gold/copper tint.

It should not cause any problems, since the laser can still read the data layer properly.

I have many discs like this - nearly all of my A&E Avengers ones for example, and quite a lot of Anchor Bay discs. They play perfectly after six or seven years.

On the other hand, discs which have patches of really dark colour, like a dark bronze, or which have turned completely this colour, are a problem. But you'd know that because they'd already be unplayable!

Thanks for that detailed description in regards to this subject! Very well put!
Old 01-06-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw that on my Jurassic Park Adventure Pack discs and was like wtf at first, but just figured they're supposed to be like that.
Old 01-06-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I have noticed this on a lot of the anime discs i have gotten lately. Have not run into any problems yet.
Old 01-07-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I, as well, have seen this on multiple discs. They have all played fine, in both the computer and my stand alone player.
Old 01-07-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I have at least a hundred discs with the coffee stain thing and they have never given me a problem.