DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

16 Part Elvis Documentary?

Old 12-31-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

16 Part Elvis Documentary?

I just saw on a 2004 documentary called "Elvis: A 50TH Anniversary Celebration" that in 2002 the Guiness Book of World Records named a 16 part documentary about Elvis the longest documentary on anyone ever. Does anyone know what this is called and where I can find it?
Old 01-01-06, 03:52 PM
Cool New Member

It's called The Definitive Elvis :- 25th Anniversary. It was listed on Amazon.com a while back, but the page for it has since been removed. However, since it was in my wish list, I can still see the photo of it:

I don't think it ever went up for sale in R1, but there it seems to be available in other regions. Here's the IMDB link.

And here's a description from an international DVD site:

Release Date: Monday, 30 June, 2003

G:

Regular 1.33:1 / 4:3 - Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - Colour / Black & White - 960 Minutes - PAL

August 16th, 2002, marked the 25th anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley, the most celebrated entertainer of the 20th century.

The Definitive Elvis is exactly that - an all-encompassing, in-depth look at the life and career of a man whose popularity is unrivalled in the history of showbusiness and who continues to attract millions of new fans each year. This ground-breaking, sixteen hour series is brimming with classic film clips, rare home movies, never-before-seen photos, and newly produced location footage that cover every aspect of Elvis' life as never seen before.

At the heart of this landmark project are more than 200 Exclusive Interviews with many of Presley's most intimate associates including Elvis' Dentist, Road Manager, Band Members, Friends, Fans, School Buddies, Girlfriend, Directors, Actors and Singers (including some of the biggest names in the film and recording industries). It also includes film clips, home movies, photos, re-enactments, and recently produced location footage of his homes in Los Angeles, Palm Springs and Memphis.

No Elvis fan can be without this incredible study of the greatest and most inspiring entertainer of all time!

LIST OF EPISODES :-
1. THE MEMPHIS YEARS
2. THE TELEVISION YEARS
3. THE HOLLYWOOD YEARS Part 1: 1956 - 1961
4. THE HOLLYWOOD YEARS Part 2: 1962 - 1969
5. THE ARMY YEARS
6. THE COMEBACK SPECIAL
7. THE VEGAS YEARS
8. ELVIS AND THE COLONEL
9. ELVIS AND PRISCILLA
10. THE INTIMATE LOVES OF ELVIS
11. THE MANY LOVES OF ELVIS
12. THE MEMPHIS MAFIA
13. A MAN AND HIS MUSIC
14. THE SPIRITUAL SOUL OF ELVIS
15. THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED - ELVIS IS GONE
16. ALL THE KING'S DISCIPLES - IMPERSONATORS & FANS

Last edited by Editor, The JEI; 01-01-06 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-03-06, 12:06 AM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...068261-7572668

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...068261-7572668

I found these on UK's Amazon and they sound like the one you described only on 4 discs, does anyone know if these are the same or cut down?

I also noticed you can buy these separately on Canada's Amazon site, but a lot of them are out of stock and they are all $20 a piece.

It also looks like I can get it in two sets from Germany for $70 together.

Last edited by The Monkees; 01-03-06 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-30-06, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey there. A friend of mine just called to tell me he borrowed this from another friend on VHS, and wanted me to get him a copy.

After looking for about an hour, I found several 'completed auctions' on ebay for the VHS, but I found the DVD new here:

http://www.cdconnection.com/bin/nph-search?part=725349

and here is another link, cheaper, but says out of stock, back in stock by Feb 18.

http://www.moviegoldmine.com/product...oducts_id/9067

Of course, I read the FAQ over there, and it says there is no guarantee that anything out of stock will come back IN stock, so he told me to get the pack from the first link.

And I did some searching, and the 4 disc and 8 disc are the same, it's just that the 4 disc is the Region 2/Region 4 version.

Here's another link that has pictures of the individual discs, plus the address and phone number of the company who produced this:

http://www.angelfire.com/me2/kulacoco/definitive.html

And the website of the company (but they do not list it on their own site)

http://www.passportproductions.com
Old 01-30-06, 01:00 AM

Wow, cool thanks!
Old 01-30-06, 10:44 AM
Cool New Member

Be warned though The version thats out now is the edited version. When the box set first came out a few years ago the company got sued by EPE for including copywrited footage and the company was forced to take the original version off the market. They then edited out all the copywrited footage and they were allowed to put it back on the market.
Old 02-08-06, 01:34 PM

I ordered the other day, it shipped out yesterday. I can't wait!
Old 02-09-06, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I received the set Tuesday. Also ended up finding a VHS set, and bought both for my friend. Found another DVD on Half.com last week, and it arrived today. Gave it to another friend that's an Elvis-o-holic.

Didn't open any of the 3 packs myself, so I can't say anything. I'll post later after they have time to review them a little.
Old 02-09-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd still like to see "This is Elvis" on disc. The extended version would be a great addition to my Elvis collection.
Old 02-14-06, 01:53 AM

I just got this today, I've watched the first 4 episodes and I have to ask, Does anyone know what was cut out of this? Because it seems like everything that needs to be here is.

So I don't know