DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sin City audio - ringing in dialog

Old 12-25-05, 02:34 AM
Cool New Member

Sin City audio - ringing in dialog

Has anyone else noticed the annoying ringing in the audio whenever someone speaks? The voiceovers are clear as a bell (if a little forward) but when anyone speaks there is a ringing. At first I though it was my center channel speaker, but it sounds the same on my computer and bedroom player so I checked out my Widescreen Review edition with the Sin City review and they noticed the same thing. Some other online reviews noticed this as well. I'm dissapointed because I remember seeing it in theatres and it wasn't like that. What happened? Its on both discs and I rented the original Sin City release to compare and again, the same ringing.

Matt
Old 12-25-05, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From previous posts I've read, some people were saying they also noticed it in the theatres. Yeah the ringing noise is there for both the barebones and extended releases. They never fixed the problem.
Old 12-25-05, 09:35 AM

Yeah I noticed that the dialogue always seemed to have that sort of feedback... It's very distracting for me.
Old 12-25-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it was definitely there in the theatrical version I saw, so most likely a source issue.
Old 12-25-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's covered in great detail in the IGN review linked here. Apparently it's much more noticable in the DTS track than the DD 5.1 audio.
Old 12-25-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought I was insane when I heard this on my DVD copy. I find the DTS track to be completely unlistenable because of this. For some reason, my ears pick this up so clearly and it ruins the film for me.
Old 12-26-05, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't have DTS...but have not heard or been distracted by this 'ringing' in theaters and on the dvd releases in DD. I'm sure it's just a source issue which will always be there. So you might as well deal with it and enjoy the film
Old 12-26-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's definately distracting but it comes and goes. It's most noticable in the opening section. Clearly, this is a result of using the dialog recorded on set. They didn't loop much of the dialogue it seems.