DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

King of Queens season 5????

Old 12-19-05, 04:24 PM

King of Queens season 5????

Any news on when this is coming out yet?
Old 12-19-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't heard anything yet. But I'm probably won't buy it if Sony doesn't start releasing them in widescreen as they were filmed. I've bought all 4 seasons so far but it really annoys me that Sasons 3 & 4 were aired in HD widescreen and released in fullscreen on the DVDs.
Old 12-19-05, 11:38 PM

So, they went back to filming/airing them fullscreen? I watched tonight's new episode and it was fullscreen. What season are they at now?
Old 12-20-05, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^did you watch it in HD. It is only WS in HD. Same as many shows on television.
Old 12-20-05, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
^did you watch it in HD. It is only WS in HD. Same as many shows on television.
I don't have HD but I see alot of these 'widescreen' shows. SNL, Conan, ER, The Sopranos. Letterman is also in HD (so he has mentioned) but I only see the full screen.

Are there some HD shows in full screen or does HD automatically make it widescreen?
Old 12-20-05, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It seems that the SD version of many shows is cropped from the HD airing. All the reruns of KoQ I see are 4:3, and I never noticed before you mentioned it that KoQ HD is 1.85:1.

Is the WS verion just like a reversed open matte presentation?
Old 12-20-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by STEVEIGNORANT
What season are they at now?
Season 8

Waiting for this as well. Hope they release it soon, since I'm about to begin watching S4.
Old 12-20-05, 08:57 AM

Is it possible that it is just matted for HD? As in full screen is the OAR, but bars are added to make it WS? Has anyone noticed a panning and scanning or missing info on the FS version?
Old 12-20-05, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by STEVEIGNORANT
Is it possible that it is just matted for HD? As in full screen is the OAR, but bars are added to make it WS? Has anyone noticed a panning and scanning or missing info on the FS version?
no

shot in widescreen HD, cropped for SD.
Old 12-21-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SD versions of shows that are also aired in HD are centercropped usually. Basically, they chop the sides of the 1.85:1 frame off to make the 4:3 frame. This is pretty much the case for any live broadcast and most every HD show that isnt shown in letterbox in SD. And I agree with The Void, I have S1-3, but I took my time buying season 3 and still havent been able to make myself buy season 4, even though there is almost no way Sony will go back and rerelease those two in widescreen.
Old 01-06-06, 06:18 PM

One of my favorite shows! I'm pretty surprised we have heard nothing with future season releases.
Old 01-06-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xbox69
I don't have HD but I see alot of these 'widescreen' shows. SNL, Conan, ER, The Sopranos. Letterman is also in HD (so he has mentioned) but I only see the full screen.
Well then, it sounds as if NBC and HBO's policy is to show them letterboxed, but CBS's isn't.
Old 01-07-06, 03:16 PM

Scene from------Fatty Mcbutterpants.....Doug:Hello my name is Doug I'm a Piesces,I like walks in the Rain and Bags of Porkrinds......

Last edited by quickfire; 01-07-06 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-07-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

One of my favorites is the episode where Doug mentions that he has a "Pre-Dinner Whopper" on his way home. This is adopted slang in the family to mean a snack.
Old 01-08-06, 09:47 AM

I love this show. I just blew through season 4 on DVD in 2 days.
Old 01-08-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is one of the rare shows that S1 could stand up to all new seasons. Many shows like Friends, The Simpsons and Seinfeld had "primitive" 1st seasons.

Can't wait for this one!
Old 01-09-06, 03:26 PM

MY GOD, I cannot wait for the next season to be released. One of my all-time favorite shows. I just saw my first live taping over the weekend and love this show more than ever!
Old 01-09-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Count me in as waiting for season 5, too. It seems a bit overdue at this point, as the prior four seasons sets came out at a pretty regular interval but it's been awhile since season 4 was released.

In my opinion, season five was the last really strong season of KoQ, as the last three seasons haven't been quite on par with the greatness of the first five. It's still a pleasant enough show, but somehow the writing seemed to fall off after the fifth season. I'm actually kind of glad that this is the last season of the show, as I would hate to see it get any flatter and spoil the good memories I have of this show in its early years.

And I agree that the first season is great, and stands up quite well against the subsequent seasons. I'm a bit on the fence as to whether I will buy seasons 6 through 8 when they are released on DVD. I may do so for completeness, but not positive yet.
Old 01-09-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seriously, dude, calm down.

K
Old 01-10-06, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
I'm actually kind of glad that this is the last season of the show, as I would hate to see it get any flatter and spoil the good memories I have of this show in its early years.
Except there's been NO indication this will be the last season... And considering the ratings are higher this season than last, I'm willing to bet there will be at least one more season. Good news for those of us who still love the show.
Old 02-18-06, 03:21 PM

I know it's only been a little over a month since the last post, but man, my fiance keeps nagging me if i found any new info since she knows i check for dvd release updates on here. We love this show. Hope this holdup doesn't last too much longer. I given up on a spring release. We would of heard some news by now if there was.

Possible summer release?
Old 02-18-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Knowing Sony, we'll probably have to wait for Kevin James' or Leah Remini's next movie to get the S5 DVD to tie in with it.
Old 03-21-06, 07:44 PM

according to tvshowsondvd.com

"we can expect the fifth season to be released sometime this summer (june-aug)."

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5360

yepee! good news for me. i've been waiting and waiting.
Old 03-22-06, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by KatSagirl
according to tvshowsondvd.com

"we can expect the fifth season to be released sometime this summer (june-aug)."

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5360

yepee! good news for me. i've been waiting and waiting.

Any news is good news! Thanks for the update
Old 03-22-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, thanks for the news. I was starting to get a bit worried.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.