DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hitchcock Completist

Old 12-15-05, 07:56 PM

Hitchcock Completist

I'm trying to get every Hitchcock movie that is available on DVD. At this point i think I've reached that point with the exception of "The Paradine Case" which I'm holding off on until I get a new TV. Could anyone let me know of anything I might have missed? For ease of reference... a picture...

http://arsmith7.iweb.bsu.edu/hitch.jpg

Due to excessive glare from a crappy camera and worse lighting... Here's the text version

To Catch a Thief
Under Capricorn
Champagne
Juno and the Paycock
The Cheney Vase
The Lodger
Easy Virtue
The Sorcerer's Apprentice
The Ring
Murder!
Jamacia Inn
Number 17
The Manxman
The Farmer's Wife
Rich and Strange
Blackmail
Sabotage
Young and Innocent
The Skin Game
Secret Agent
The Man Who Knew Too Much (both versions)
Lifeboat
Rear Window
Rope
Shadow of a Doubt
Saboteur
Psycho
Vertigo
The Trouble with Harry
Topaz
Torn Curtain
Marnie
The Birds
Family Plot
Frenzy
The 39 Steps
The Lady Vanishes
Rebecca
Spellbound
Notorious
The Wrong Man
Suspicion
Strangers on a Train
Stage Fright
North by Northwest
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
I Confess
Foreign Correspondent
Dial M For Murder...

whew... what else is out there?

Last edited by arsmith7; 12-15-05 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-15-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nice collection

The only thing I can think of is the Presents series, which I'm sure you know about and isn't a movie anyway. But as a completist you should probably have it.
Old 12-15-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's "Adventure Malgache"+ "Bon Voyage", two short films shot in french for the war effort. I think there is a two-fer out there.
"Waltzes from Vienna" a musical, but I believe is only a European release.
Otherwise, I think you got them all!
Old 12-15-05, 09:24 PM

I still never understood why Criterion didn't put out Paradine Case, so that all 4 of Hitch's films for Selznick could be available.

Hopefully MGM (or is it Disney now?) will put out a quality DVD eventually.

CS
Old 12-15-05, 09:34 PM

I just started my hitchcock collection and was wondering which movies are not included in any of the vatious box sets out there. Can't tell from the OP picture which ones are just single movies. Anyone have a list of single movies not included in a box set?? Want to know which ones I can pick up cheap or through CH. Thanks.

Last edited by Erreth; 12-15-05 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-15-05, 10:16 PM

I just got the Warner and Universal Hitchcock box sets for my birthday. I also picked up Lifeboat and To Catch a Thief. That makes for 25 films. I definitely want to pick up Rebecca, Notorious, and Spellbound, so, hopefully Criterion will re-release them or another studio will get their hands on them.
Old 12-15-05, 10:24 PM

Pretty sure I got the Universal set sitting wrapped with the gifts. Could be the Warner I suppose also...my gf can never keep these things straight. I already have Lifeboat and will order To Catch a Theif and Under Capricorn soon if they aren't on any worthwhile boxset.
Old 12-15-05, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by bsktballDude1
I just got the Warner and Universal Hitchcock box sets for my birthday. I also picked up Lifeboat and To Catch a Thief. That makes for 25 films. I definitely want to pick up Rebecca, Notorious, and Spellbound, so, hopefully Criterion will re-release them or another studio will get their hands on them.
Notorious and Spellbound are still readily available (at least in NYC) albeit at full MSRP. If you look a little harder (again, I only know the NYC market) you can find them sealed for around $30 each.

Perhaps other major metropolitan areas have them too. Although if you're in "Corn County," you might not be near one.
Old 12-15-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you should pick up a Talk with Hitchcock. It is a long interview he did during the shooting of marnie. Kino also has a nicer copy of Jamaica Inn out there. other than Bon Voyage & Aventure Malgache, your in pretty good shape. and your missing the hitchcock directed episodes of AHP (which you could only get out of the 4 old universal box sets) I have the complete hitchcock on dvd, just browse my collection.
Old 12-16-05, 12:01 AM
mbs

You don't have Downhill (1927) listed.

I don't think there is a R1 release, but it was relased as part of a set released in Germany. I found a slightly used copy of The Lodger / Downhill (R2/PAL) at a swap shop earlier this year (which were part of that set).

Last edited by mbs; 12-16-05 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-16-05, 12:18 AM

Thanks for the help fellas... I knew about Bon Voyage and Adventure Malgache, just forgot to list them. I'll see what I can do to track down those AHP discs from the old sets and an R2 Downhill.

And for Erreth:
The only real single movies are Lifeboat, To Catch a Thief, and Under Capricorn.
That said, there are two sets which I picked up only for one movie. Alfred Hitchcock: Four Tales of Suspense only adds Juno and the Paycock. The other three titles are in the Delta Early Years boxset. Also, The Essential Alfred Hitchcock (9 movies) only adds Champagne, the other 8 are, once again, also in the Delta set.

haha... just noticed I need to rearrange some stuff. Having both of the movies/sets with Cary Grant on the cover right next to each other just isn't right.

Last edited by arsmith7; 12-16-05 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-16-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

is that the delta box that is at sams for twenty bucks these days
Old 12-16-05, 12:38 PM

Anyone know where to look for the OOP Criterions in the Chicago area?
Old 12-16-05, 10:21 PM

Notorious and Spellbound are still readily available (at least in NYC) albeit at full MSRP. If you look a little harder (again, I only know the NYC market) you can find them sealed for around $30 each.

Perhaps other major metropolitan areas have them too. Although if you're in "Corn County," you might not be near one.
Actually, I live around the Chicago area so, I might have to try to check out some places downtown because I really would love to have these dvds.
Old 12-16-05, 10:37 PM

Consider the Chicago Area Challenge begun...
unless you see two because I'd love to find these.
Old 12-17-05, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

check borders and barnes & noble.
Old 12-30-05, 06:46 PM

There are films the 12 disc Delta Early Year set contains that the 14 disc does not, correct? Which are they, and what's the best way of getting them if I choose to buy the 14 disc box?
Old 01-01-06, 12:02 AM
Cool New Member

Where in NYC-NJ?

Greetings - I am looking for a copy of Spellbound, and live in northern NJ. None of the Borders or B&Ns etc. near me have it. Any suggestions for where to look in the city? Thanks!

Eric

Originally Posted by illennium

Old 01-01-06, 12:15 AM

What is the cheapest price out there for Under Capricorn? DVD Price Search shows DDD as the lowest at $14.62 shipped, but I'm wondering if it might be lower at a B&M store somewhere.
Old 01-01-06, 03:51 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by ericc22
Greetings - I am looking for a copy of Spellbound, and live in northern NJ. None of the Borders or B&Ns etc. near me have it. Any suggestions for where to look in the city? Thanks!

Eric
You could get it online. $35 seems to be the cheapest I could find: http://store.yahoo.com/olivefilms/spellbounddvd.html

I've ordered from olivefilms before and they've been very good to me. Thats where I got my OOP Rebecca awhile ago for $60. Unfortunately, they sold out of them.

They also have Notorious for $50 and the Hitchock Thrillers set for $295. Kind of ridiculous prices, but since most eBay auctions of those items go for at least that much, I guess it makes sense.
Old 01-01-06, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Neuman
There are films the 12 disc Delta Early Year set contains that the 14 disc does not, correct? Which are they, and what's the best way of getting them if I choose to buy the 14 disc box?

This set is no longer even worth it for the silent films. The region 2 French Studio Canal sets absolutely trash this set, for the silents and the early sound films as well. Supplement that with a German box called "Hitchcock the Early Years", and you've made a worthwhile investment, as opposed to pissing even the small amount of money away on this set.
Old 01-01-06, 05:12 PM

Thank you unclehulot, I shall invesitgate these sets further. Any suggestions for the best places to buy them?
Old 01-02-06, 04:54 AM

For all you Hitchcock fans, you owe it to yourselves to pay this website a visit:

http://www.daveyp.com/hitchcock/index.html
Old 01-02-06, 06:52 AM
Suspended

Hey unclehulot, how many sets are there of the studio canal early films?
Old 01-02-06, 09:13 AM

There are 3 Studio Canal sets (2 discs each). Here's some revealing screengrabs:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev....htm#blackmail
(keep scrolling down and all the films are covered)

and the German set can also be compared by looking up the '34 Man who knew too much, Young and Innocent, Sabotage, Secret Agent, The Lodger/Downhill, etc.

The other nice thing to have is a German release of Blackmail which has the rare silent version of the film (which is not included in the French sets, only the sound version). Reportedly the Germans are issuing "Mary", the German version of "Murder", but I don't know if this is out yet.

If this is all a bit pricey, Nicheflix.com has these all for rent in their "A la Carte" section.

Good luck!

Last edited by unclehulot; 01-02-06 at 09:19 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.