Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

sick of "unrated" and "______ edition" DVDs!!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-15-05, 07:23 AM

is anyone else really starting to get annoyed with every single comedy or horror film being unrated when it gets to dvd? usually the changes are so small and don't even change the rating of the movie, its just a ploy to get people to buy the dvd. that's fine but when they don't make the original theatrical version available like the new 40 year old virgin DVD - which i feel the unrated version w/17 minutes additional footage makes the movie drag on and there are a lot of unfunny scenes added in. yet the theatrical version is only available in Full Screen! what the hell?! that's annoying

also them coming up with all sorts of names for whatever edition is so stupid. and it looks cheesy on the spin if you like your collection to look nice. like the clueless: whatever edition; wedding crashers: uncorked edition; deuce bigalow 2: assume the position edition

they might be clever little added jokes the first time you see it but i think its stupid. like the new ferris beuller dvd. the beuller... beuller... edition? and it says that all along the spine. it looks stupid!

am i just anal or are other big dvd fans getting upset that these sorts of things are happening to draw in the retarded masses who don't know anything about movies to by more and more?
Old 12-15-05, 07:28 AM

And the real shame of this is, it goes all the way back to the early days of DVD. I still remember my 1st edition Dr. Strangelove (I belive it's on 4 or 5 incarnations now), with very little in terms of special features. However, along the top, was a banner reading "Deluxe Widescreen Edition." Of course, this was a time when at least in VHS and LD, Widescreen was enough of a special feature to warrant the "Deluxe" label.

Nowadays, the inclusion of a movie ticket warrants a new packaging of an old disc.

As far as Unrated, I must have misunderstood, thinking that the 1st-edition DVD of Kalifornia was the way to go, with both versions of the film on one disc. Silly me.

BOMM,

CS
Old 12-15-05, 08:50 AM

Agree 100% with the original poster. It's particularly annoying this time of year, when you're asking for Christmas presents.

Me: I want Breakin' 3 on DVD. But make sure you get me the widescreen version. And make sure it's the "Unrated" version, not the "PG-13" version. You can tell by the orange spine. Oh yeah, I want the "Electric Boogalee Edition" not the "15th Anniversary Edition."

Relative: "??? Fuck that, you get a gift card to bb."
Old 12-15-05, 09:17 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mind true 'unrated' editions, like "High Tension" or "Land of the Dead". But adding extra scenes to a PG-13 film that basically takes it to an R at best shouldn't be using the title. And adding filler scenes and then making that the only available edition (full screen is not even a consideration) is a crock.

As for the "clever edition titles", I think it just looks tacky. I think it's especially bad when they use them for a movie's first appearance on DVD, like European Gigolo or Wedding Crashers.

Last edited by DRG; 12-15-05 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-15-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's why I never ask for DVD's for gifts if there's any chance of confusion. Only the Seinfeld DVD's made my list this year.
Old 12-15-05, 09:22 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mtucker
That's why I never ask for DVD's for gifts if there's any chance of confusion. Only the Seinfeld DVD's made my list this year.
Did you ask for the "Master of my Domain Edition" or the "Special Limited Festivus Edition"?
Old 12-15-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, I bought the Island last night and didn't notice that it only had 1 feature. Now I debate whether or not to return it for the eventual "unrated super clone-tacular edition."

That is one beef I have is the cheesy naming, like the OP.

Airplane -Don't call me shirly- edition
T2 - EXTREME! Edition
Fast & the Furious - The ultra superfast nitro edition!
Old 12-15-05, 09:34 AM

I don't care either way, but I do think 17 extra minutes is a bit much on paper- but I didn't see 40YOV in theaters, so I can't really compare it. If you like special features, this is a step in the right direction. How else will new editions of movies like The Game ever have a hope of a new release? The cost of putting out another version has to be profitable. They can call it The Gamiest Gamey Game: Ultimate Game Edition, I don't care. If it has quality bonus materials, that's really all that matters.

It's obviously marketing, but the product is different. Why have a regular label with a tiny sticker on the package if the marketing works, it is a business. I wouldn't say that anyone who buys it is retarded and doesn't know anything about movies, though.

My collection looks nice no matter what's on the spine. Honestly, it takes quite a bit more than letters on a DVD spine to annoy me, life's too short to worry about things like that.
Old 12-15-05, 09:36 AM

Don't forget the Animal House "Double Secret Probabtion Edition."
Old 12-15-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Extreme.
Old 12-15-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm also tired of these inane edition names.
Old 12-15-05, 10:45 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

the way i see it is...i am going to buy the movie that i want either way and rent the rest (i don't get sucked in to the marketing of the thing and the wacky names are inconsequential). so if the only version i can get is unrated with a few bits here and there i don't care, i usually don't notice the new scenes anyway.
Old 12-15-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sick of films being released in ONLY widescreen formats for the unrated cuts, and the theatrical version is only full frame.

Look, if I'm buying the movie, more than likely I really loved the theatrical version, so why deny me that? It's flat out stupid. The 40 Year Old Virgin only being widescreen for the version that is 17 minutes longer? They state it on the cover as if it's a good thing. The movie was a hit because people loved the film, you know, THE THEATRICAL VERSION...Why not make that available in widescreen? Universal is the worst with this.
Old 12-15-05, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Seantn
I'm sick of films being released in ONLY widescreen formats for the unrated cuts, and the theatrical version is only full frame.
or in the case of 'The Muppet's Christmas Carol' the extended cut is on the full frame version and the shorter theatrical cut is in widescreen
Old 12-15-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They even do it to the Oscar-award winning movies:

Old 12-15-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I do agree that not releasing the theatrical version in it's O.A.R. is a bad thing. Since there is always the chance the 'unrated extended' version is not 'superior'. But if that is the only version available in O.A.R.,then you're shit out of luck.

What also makes the 'rated' P&S..unrated O.A.R. trend pathetic is. The unrated version is available in both P&S and WS! If the studio can spend the money on two versions of the unrated version. Then why can't they do the same for the rated version?

I want to see The 40 Year Old Virgin. But the running time,even for the theatrical version seems fairly excessive for a simple comedy. So the unrated version is even longer may make it drag more(though at least it's raunchier from what I am told).

And I also hate the trend of releasing the SE in WS/O.A.R. only and the bare bones edition in P&S only. MGM has done this with a few releases. Case in point West Side Story and Dances With Wolves.

So basically if you want the film in it's correct aspect ratio. You must buy the higher priced edition.

In the case of Dances with Wolves. The inferior bloated 4 hour extended version is available in WS with the extra features. Meanwhile the better paced best picture winning superior theatrical 3 hour version is only available P&S on a bare bones dvd!

Sure an early Image release of the theatrical version was available in 16.9 widescreen(which I bought) at the very least. But that is long OOP and customers shouldn't be forced to track down an earlier release to get the correct version of a film.

So studios..release ALL versions of a film in their correct aspect ratios you greedy soulless bastards!
Old 12-15-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Thanks for reminding me to get the 40 Year Old Virgin: Unrated today!
Old 12-15-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mtucker
It has a giftset edition that cost a whopping $$$ compare to the regular edition...
Old 12-15-05, 01:36 PM

Beyond stupid tags like "Don't Call me Shirley", i am annoyed by the variety of serious tags put on 'special' editions'. There are collectors' editions, deluxe editions, bonus editions, anniversary editions, extreme editions, and so on. I'm I missing something, or do these generally all mean the same thing?

Regarding the 'unrated' cuts of movies, I find it amusing when I consider what that actually means. They could have removed a scene from a PG movie, not submitted it to the ratings board, and then released it as an unrated version.
Old 12-15-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Part of the job description for someone working in the marketing department of a major studio is to come up with clever titles of home video releases.

I still think the 26th Anniversary title for The Jerk is funny.
Old 12-15-05, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by GrimTangent
Regarding the 'unrated' cuts of movies, I find it amusing when I consider what that actually means. They could have removed a scene from a PG movie, not submitted it to the ratings board, and then released it as an unrated version.
which for some studios it is just a way to not submit and pay the fees for rating's approval from the MPAA.
Old 12-15-05, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I still think the 26th Anniversary title for The Jerk is funny.
Indeed. subtle enough that you don't catch it immediately.
Old 12-15-05, 02:15 PM

This really didn't bother me until 40YOV came along... I thought the movie was very funny, but too long even in theaters... I actually started to feel ill by the end of it, like when you laugh too much. Though I was also getting sick, I think.

But in any case, I DON'T need it to be 17 minutes longer... it's not Billy Wilder or anything. It would be enough to keep me from buying it except I got one for free.
Old 12-15-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I quit being "wowed" by UNRATED movies after buying "American Pie: Unrated" way back in 1999.

The noticeable change was the pie humping scene....not really that huge of a deal.

The Criterion Robocop however....there was some noticable changes there....worthy of an "Unrated" or "X Rated" banner.
Old 12-15-05, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I quit being "wowed" by UNRATED movies after buying "American Pie: Unrated" way back in 1999.

The noticeable change was the pie humping scene....not really that huge of a deal.
yeah, but apparently, the ratings board of parents didn't find that scene appropriate for anyone under the age of 17 at that particular moment in time -silly really.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.