Both Three Disc and Two Disc
32.90%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Peter Jackson's King Kong rumored for April 2006 release [merge]

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know how I might be able to get ahold of one of a poster that has the same image as the cover of the DVD? I have seen some in video stores, but I cannot seem to find it on AllPosters.com. I hope this isn't an instance where you have to know someone who works at the video store to get one, as it is awesome.
Old 04-01-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know how I might be able to get ahold of one of a poster that has the same image as the cover of the DVD? I have seen some in video stores, but I cannot seem to find it on AllPosters.com. I hope this isn't an instance where you have to know someone who works at the video store to get one, as it is awesome.
Since it was designed just for the video, you probably wouldn't find them in the usual poster places.

One time I wanted the poster (for a friend) they had hanging up for Happy, Texas at a local Blockbuster. I just asked the manager which day they change out the posters and if anyone had claimed it. He told me which day to stop by and to see him after they opened. Easy, no-fuss way to get a free poster.

Give it a shot.
Old 04-01-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but might do so anyway if people have pretty much stopped reading this thread.

I noticed a "problem" when watching my King Kong 2-disc dvd.

I'll explain the problem and then give the exact location and time to see if anyone else notices it on theirs. You'll probably have to go frame by frame.

In the scene in the boat, right after Naomi Watts thinks one guy is the writer Driscoll that she likes so much only to have the real guy behind her, snap his book shut and say pleasure to meet you, they cut to a hallway and that lead actor is walking through it.

I noticed, it goes by very quickly, almost like a subliminal message from Fight Club but not quite as fast, that there appeared to be letters in one of the frames right in the shot. I went back and went frame by frame and the letter are there at 30:29 in and are right on the arm of the lead actor and spell KKDD. When paused, it almost looks like a tattoo on his arm (but it's in the film, not something actually on his arm).

Again, it goes by rather quickly, but I want to see if this is something anyone else can notice or find or if this is limited to possibly some copies, so that I can return mine. It's not going to ruin the rest of the film, but it's still kind of an annoying thing to have on a dvd.

It's, in my opinion, much worse, than say that small mark on Leo DeCaprio's face that everyone mentioned from the Titanic SE release.

Please let me know if you see this or if anyone else is willing to check out frame by frame and let me know if it's there for everyone or it's an isolated incident. If there aren't any responses, I might start a new thread because it seems like an important issue and, again, I'm not sure if this thread has pretty much run its course or not.

Thanks.
Old 04-01-06, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kudos to you for noticing it by yourself, but read the previous page and look at the screenshots. I actually didn't see it until reading this thread. It is kind of an annoyance that they put it in there, but not enough to bother me. Hopefully it won't be in the extended cut. Has anyone noticed that seeing it in its theatrical run? I know I didn't.

Last edited by MrStayPuft; 04-01-06 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-01-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I knew about this before hand but upon watching it today, I didn't notice a thing. And I'm pretty good at noticing things between frames.

I guess I was too busy actually enjoying the movie.
Old 04-02-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
Kudos to you for noticing it by yourself, but read the previous page and look at the screenshots. I actually didn't see it until reading this thread. It is kind of an annoyance that they put it in there, but not enough to bother me. Hopefully it won't be in the extended cut. Has anyone noticed that seeing it in its theatrical run? I know I didn't.
Oops, sorry. Figures, the one time I decide not to look back over a series of pages for the answer, that it would only be 1 page back.

I'm generally not the kind of person to notice this kind of thing, I only learned of the mark on Leo's face from a thread here, but this was pretty obvious.

I wonder why it's there.

Anyway, thanks. At least now I don't have to return it or worry about it being some personal satanic message directed just at me.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 04-02-06 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-02-06, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
At least now I don't have to return it or worry about it being some personal satanic message directed just at me.
It is. That's why the rest of us are annoyed at having to see it.
Old 04-02-06, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
It is. That's why the rest of us are annoyed at having to see it.
It's saying to me, "Kill, Kill, Die, Die!"

So, you're saying I should worry?
Old 04-02-06, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
It's saying to me, "Kill, Kill, Die, Die!"

So, you're saying I should worry?
The last D actually stands for Dolphinboy.

I think it is worse than the Titanic one, considering that: (a) it's intentional, not an error; and (b) it shows up on ALL DVD players.
Old 04-02-06, 11:45 AM
Banned

About that "KKDD" imbedded in the video. I just got my copy yesterday and was skipping thru the chapters to see what the picture looked like. Since it's very close to the beginning of chapter 14, I just caught it and went back and frame advanced to see it.

Come here, and yep, people are talking about it. Any solid word on what it's about. Someone said it means King King Double Dip. Sounds right to me.
Old 04-02-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ItsGreekToMe
Come here, and yep, people are talking about it. Any solid word on what it's about. Someone said it means King King Double Dip. Sounds right to me.
Was it really "King King" on your end not "King Kong"?
Old 04-02-06, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xage
Was it really "King King" on your end not "King Kong"?

Losing that hour really messes me up.
Old 04-04-06, 10:02 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

In other news today, Universal is reporting that it sold a whopping 6.5 million copies of Peter Jackson's King Kong on DVD in its first week of availability (click here for more from Home Media Retailing). Guess all those people who didn't go see the film in theaters last year were just waiting for the disc. Speaking of which - and this is Rumor Mill-worthy so take it accordingly - Jackson has confirmed in recent interviews that Universal plans to release a more elaborate 3 or 4 disc version of the film on DVD later in 2006. Apparently his audio commentary, several deleted scenes and other choice extras have been deliberately held back for inclusion the better version. Just FYI.
Old 04-04-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone love the ending with the planes attacking Kong? Sounds fantastic with surround sound. A great demo disc
Old 04-04-06, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by ruk
http://digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

In other news today, Universal is reporting that it sold a whopping 6.5 million copies of Peter Jackson's King Kong on DVD in its first week of availability (click here for more from Home Media Retailing). Guess all those people who didn't go see the film in theaters last year were just waiting for the disc. Speaking of which - and this is Rumor Mill-worthy so take it accordingly - Jackson has confirmed in recent interviews that Universal plans to release a more elaborate 3 or 4 disc version of the film on DVD later in 2006. Apparently his audio commentary, several deleted scenes and other choice extras have been deliberately held back for inclusion the better version. Just FYI.
I'm going to add to this with the same warning...this is just rumor right now...but on release day last week for Kong my Universal rep confirmed an Extended edition to be released on November 14th. I know this could change a thousand times between now and then, but this is what he had so I thought I'd pass it on.
Old 04-06-06, 02:25 AM

DVD Easter Egg website code?

Anybody know what the code to this website would be?

http://www.kingkongmovie.com/easteregg/

You arrive to that site from www.kingkongmovie.com where it says "DVD Easter Egg: The code is hidden on the DVD!".

I thought maybe it was KKDD, but no. It's not KONG either, which I got from this bizarrely confusing portion of the Papa John's King Kong section

http://papajohns.com/kong/kong.html

By the way, besides the one at 00:30:39, someone else at AICN found another KKDD on Baxter's arm at 2:01:33.

Last edited by packratshow; 04-06-06 at 02:48 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 04-06-06, 08:36 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by packratshow
Anybody know what the code to this website would be?

http://www.kingkongmovie.com/easteregg/

You arrive to that site from www.kingkongmovie.com where it says "DVD Easter Egg: The code is hidden on the DVD!".

I thought maybe it was KKDD, but no. It's not KONG either, which I got from this bizarrely confusing portion of the Papa John's King Kong section

http://papajohns.com/kong/kong.html
It's 5664...the numbers that the letters K/O/N/G correspond to on a telephone touchpad. It just came to me in a flash of insight when I read your post and I tested it and it worked.
Old 04-06-06, 08:46 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Now the question is, is this easter egg the one they state is on the KING KONG DVD? If so, it's a good one, but I still drop it without a glance back in exchange for the trailer.
Old 04-06-06, 05:07 PM

Thanks!

Thank you for figuring that out!

For those who want a direct download link to the easter egg, here:

http://www.kingkong.com/media/king_k...er_gg_700k.mov

I still want to know where 5664 is supposedly "hidden on the DVD". I have the 2-Disc set, I wonder if there's any difference from the single disc. This just all seems so weird.

That "example of how to find easter eggs on other DVDs" from the Papa John's site is just too strange. Maybe it's not just poorly worded, it's a coded clue to an ilovebees-style campaign for King Kong!

DUN-Dun-dunnnnnnn!
Old 04-10-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm. On the main menu movie disc (probably same as the single disc), you just enter the 5664 and it gives you a menu screen telling you to go to the website.
Old 06-26-06, 06:58 PM

Any word lately on the extended cut? Thanks
Old 06-27-06, 08:52 AM

I'm thinking probably around christmas of this year but you never know. I don't think any official word has been announced yet.
Old 07-04-06, 09:08 PM

My Universal rep had a date of November 14th set aside for this. I know it hasn't been official and I posted this a few months ago, so it may have changed by then, but I haven't heard anything to contradict it so far.
Old 07-11-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We could see some info this weekend on the EE from Comic-con as the Universal panel is scheduled to show a preview of it with an intro by PJ himself.
Old 07-18-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
King Kong: Extended Edition

Universal Studios will preview its upcoming King Kong: Extended Edition DVD box set at the 2006 San Diego Comic-Con. The preview, which will be introduced with a special message from director Peter Jackson, will be held this Friday July 21st from 4:00 - 4:15 PM in Hall 'H.' The box set itself is currently rumored for a November 14th release. You can get more details at the Comic-Con's official website.

DAVISDVD.com

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.