Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Night Court Seasons 2 and beyond, where the hell are they??

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-13-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

is Season 1 not selling well enough?
Old 12-13-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ditto. I bought season 1 and was kinda expecting season 2 to come along around now. I just hope it doesn't go into TV show purgatory like Mad About You did. I think some of these companies need to follow through on their actions. If your gonna put out season 1 of a show put the rest out as well. When companies do that sort of thing, i feel like i got shafted for buying the first season.
Old 12-13-05, 10:32 PM

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4687

In a nutshell, Warner is planning a single-disc release, apparently to gauge if interest is strong enough to continue making "Night Court" DVD's. There's also some lame scuttlebutt about fans wanting Markie Post eps, of which there was only one in season two. It's so irritating that titles whose first seasons were released in the same time frame, like "Fresh Prince" & "Full House" have continued, but no further "Night Court" or "Murphy Brown" (not even a word about single-disc releases for that series).
Old 12-13-05, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheVelvetRope
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4687

In a nutshell, Warner is planning a single-disc release, apparently to gauge if interest is strong enough to continue making "Night Court" DVD's.

Yeah, I really don't buy that story. If the studio sees heavy purchasing of the "best of" sets, they'll assume that's what the fans want, and that's all we'll get. Unfortunately the only way to make the studios realize this is by writing to them and telling them that we will not buy "best of" compilations, but we will buy full season sets. That'll never happen, though, as most fans are too damn lazy to do it.
Old 12-14-05, 07:39 AM

Velvet, Movie: first let me point out, as I wrote up in the news story that Movie doesn't buy, that I'm just relaying info from SitcomsOnline.com ("SO"), where Pavan Badal is reporting on his conversation with Warner Studios.

Pavan told me in the past, and posted in his News Blog at SO for everyone to read, that Warner told him that sales on Night Court were very bad, and that there were no plans for further season sets as a result. Heck, here's what Pavan said on 11/7:

http://sitcomsonline.blogspot.com/20...s-for-dvd.html

I hate to bring bad news, but I think I have to say this to get the fans of Night Court who have not bought season one to start buying that set. Warner Home Video has told me that they have no plans at this time for a season two DVD due to poor sales. This explains why they will be releasing a TV Favorites set in 2006, which features Markie Post episodes. They have told me if you wish to see season sets, go out and buy the first season right now, if you haven't already, and buy the TV Favorites set when that comes out. Believe me, it WILL make a difference. It is a good thing they told us this information or fans of this smart sitcom would have lucked out. I agree with most fans that this sitcom didn't really make its stride until about season three, but what could we do? So, if you are one of those fans who didn't buy season one because you thought the show really started going in season three, I suggest you buy season one right away. Go out and buy 5 copies and give them to your friends and family for Christmas, ohhhh-kay (as Bull would say)?
We've worked with Pavan before he got the SO gig, and we know that he talks to the studios regularly and manages to get info from them which we don't. By the way, we don't mind that...it's not a race, it's a journey to get our favorite shows on DVD, whether we do it or SO or anyone else makes it happen. So, with that in mind, we pass along any news concerning TV Shows on DVD, and Pavan's SO news is as worthy of trust as they come. If Pavan's wrong, don't blame him...blame the dude at the studio who steered him wrong. But then again, what's Warner's percentage in lying about something like that? What do they gain by claiming sales of a DVD release were bad, if those sales in fact were not bad?

I'm a giant Night Court fan, and I want to get more season sets. Let's figure out what it will take to make that happen. My thought is that Warner released a LOT of season sets all at once (6 of them: Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete 1st Season, Full House - The Complete 1st Season, Jamie Foxx Show - Season 1, Murphy Brown - Season 1, Night Court - Season 1, Wayans Bros. - Season 1). Only two of those were "the best sellers" among those, encouraging Warner to bring more sets: Full House and Fresh Prince (the latter already has a 3rd Season planned).

So my thought to Warner would be that Night Court (and Murphy Brown, but that's another thread) got lost in all that, especially since it was a short season, didn't have a couple of the main stars in it yet that fans came to associate with the show (Christine and Mac), and hadn't really hit its stride yet. So the show needs another chance on DVD.

Warner might say "sure, but doing a whole 2nd season set as a 'test' is a helluva way - an expensive gamble - to see if the show could still be successful on DVD". Fair enough, so I don't mind buying an under-$10 single-disc best-of just to prove my loyalty to the show and help convince them to change their minds. I hope a lot of other fans feel the same way.

I assure you, if the Night Court - TV Favorites discs fail to sell, there is ZERO chance you will get more season sets. And a failure on DVD means that when the Hi-Def format (Blu-ray or HD-DVD, whatever) comes along, and the studios think about which TV shows they want to release, they'll be thinking, "man, that Night Court sure didn't sell on DVD, so there's no reason to try to release it in the new media format."

We have to change that perception right now, before the studio gets stuck with the idea we don't want the show. A <$10 best of disc is a small price to pay to help make that change. Oh, and just in case anyone out there thinks that the studio somehow influences me or Gord (or Pavan) to say these things, you're dead wrong. Speaking for myself, it's my own opinion. And I may be wrong, sure.
Old 12-14-05, 10:17 AM

i'll buy the favorites disc if it includes the episode where they go to the male strip club!
Old 12-14-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dave,

I'm not challenging the story, I'm just saying that the corporate mentality is to release more of what's selling. So if the "best of" release sells more than the season release, the studio will get the message that the "best of" release is more in demand and that's what we're going to get more of. If th "best of" release doesn't sell, they've obviously already decided that the season sets are a failure, and we won't see any more of either. The blunt truth is that no matter how the "best of" releases sell, we are probably not going to see any more season sets.

If they don't want to give me what I want, which is the season releases, so be it. They can go to hell and not get my money. I'll buy them bootlegged or I'll download the eps and make my own DVD's. I'm not going to throw away money on a garbage "best of" that I don't want in my collection, and will just encourage the studio to put out more garbage.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 12-14-05 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-06-06, 06:53 PM

I've been wondering about that too. Also been a bit concerned about the long lapse by Paramount, with no season 2 of "Mork & Mindy" or "Happy Days" out yet...
Old 01-07-06, 12:07 AM

Perhaps the AOL/WB IN2tv venture will offer NIGHT COURT. If they track viewership, perhaps that will allow for more DVD releases if enough people watch the episodes regularly. Who knows...

At the very least, people will be able to watch the episodes in DVD quality. However, NC isn't on the list of available shows, listed on the AOL IN2tv site.

http://television.aol.com/in2tv

At the very least, it'll let us watch shows that are currently in the same kind of fate as NC, such as WELCOME BACK KOTTER AND PERFECT STRANGERS, which are listed as shows that will be available. I wonder how it'll be offered? All episodes from every season, or just a selection. At the very least, it'll be better than nothing or those crappy "tv favorites" releases.
Old 01-07-06, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As much as I want more Night Court I'm not buying those bullshit best of discs. That practice needs to be stopped immediately. I bought Season 1 the first day it was released and that is really all I can do.
Old 01-07-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
As much as I want more Night Court I'm not buying those bullshit best of discs. That practice needs to be stopped immediately. I bought Season 1 the first day it was released and that is really all I can do.
Likewise. I've been waiting for season 2 and to read this is pretty aggravating.
Old 10-01-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Night Court Seasons 2 and beyond, where the hell are they??

For those that didn't know, season 4 is available from the Warner Archive.

http://www.wbshop.com/Night-Court-Th...,pd.html?cgid=
Old 10-01-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

And Seasons 2 and 3 were released a while back.
Old 10-02-10, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whoa, a 4 year thread bump?