DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Diff Between 2 King Kong '76 release?

Old 12-12-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Diff Between 2 King Kong '76 release?

Hello- Quick question - is there any difference besides coverart for the '76 version of Kong? (WTC art vs. Jess Lange on front)
thanks
Old 12-12-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As far as I know, the cover art is the only change.
Old 12-12-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And the reason why I quickly bought the first release before it became OOP. I've always loved the original poster for that movie, but I assume Paramount now prefers the awful artwork on the second release so the sight of the World Trade Center does not offend anyone.
Old 12-12-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the newer one is 5 bucks more too.
Old 12-12-05, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by rennervision
And the reason why I quickly bought the first release before it became OOP. I've always loved the original poster for that movie, but I assume Paramount now prefers the awful artwork on the second release so the sight of the World Trade Center does not offend anyone.
That the same thing i did last month. As soon as they showed that horrible new cover i went online (dvdempire) and got the WT cover before it went oop.
and it was only $9.99
Old 12-12-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rennervision
The new cover seriously offends me, and I am not being facetious. Why? Because it's just not a necessary change. The World Trade Towers were up and standing in 1976, and we shouldn't try to chance the past. I can understand when they had to take the WTC out of things coming out AFTER the buildings went down, but taking them out of things before they went down?? That's just unnessary. Of course, we are talking about studio heads here, who think their customer base are third class idiots. They probably think people would be confused by the cover (thinking that the towers never fell????). It's about as bad as WB not wanting to let Clark develop any romantic interest in Lois in Smallville because it might confuse viewers who see Superman Returns and Superman in love with Lois in there. WTH????

It would be like taking the blimp off of the cover for Black Sunday because of the Hindenburg. It's just pointless. (though the cover for Black Sunday sucks ass for other reasons).
Old 12-12-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Guys, the CC I work at had both covers so I picked up the old one w/ the WTC art. Just wanted to make sure the transfer/audio wasn't new or anything.
Old 12-12-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i don't really think that this had anything to do with the WTC picture. if it had been a problem that dvd would have been pulled some time ago. I think more than anything Paramount was trying to give the appearance of new product to cash in on the 2005 remake. They not only changed the art, but did an actual re-release with a new UPC and product push. The disc content is the same however.