Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ringu Anthology, what is the correct viewing order?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-11-05, 05:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though I picked it up when it first came out I'm just now getting around to watching it. I followed the order on the info sheet (Ringu, Rasen, Ringu 2, Ringu 0) but there seems to be some overlapping/conflict between Rasen and Ringu 2. Are these really supposed to be part of the same series or did they decide to redo the sequel? Maybe I just haven't been paying close enough attention and there isn't much conflict...

Spoiler:

It seems like in Rasen and Ringu2 though different things happen to the people from the first movie. For example the person who was helping the woman from the first movie was found by his girlfriend in Rasen but by his assisstant in Ringu 2. The main character's father from the first movie supposedly committed suicide in Rasen but was killed in by the spirit in Ringu 2. Maybe part of the problem is following the Japanese names... I have to admit I haven't been paying as much attention to who's who as I probably should have been
Old 12-11-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ring and Rasen (its sequel) were released in theaters at the same time. However, Rasen wasn't nearly as popular. When Hideo Nakata made Ring 2, he ignored Rasen. Ring 2 is Nakata's follow-up to his Ring, whereas Rasen is a sequel from a different director.
Old 12-11-05, 05:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info, that explains a lot. I'm in the middle of Ringu 2 right now and so far it's shaping up to be better than Rasen. Rasen started out good but just kind of got lost somewhere along the way and became really odd/goofy.
Old 12-13-05, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep in mind that the original books and graphic novels follow Rasen more or less. Ringu 2 was made because audiences didn't like the way Rasen went...

Here's a good place to learn all you could want to know about Ringu:

http://www.theringworld.com/

Last edited by dablueguy; 12-13-05 at 03:53 AM.