Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffy, are there any spoilers in the menus?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Buffy, are there any spoilers in the menus?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
You'll wish that you had the "Previously on"s for Seasons 5 and 7, both of which have episodes where that teaser is an important part of the episode, and neither of which is present on the R1 DVDs.
i guess that would mean for season 5 and 7 the teaser would make a mention of a plot point that was a few episodes/season's ago and without the teaser, you may not get the reference?
Old 12-16-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by critterdvd
I personally liked the "previously ons" and the tv spots for upcoming episodes would be a huge selling point for me if this series is ever rereleased.... I spent almost 6 years look for the teaser the wb aired before "welcome to the hellmouth"
I made VCDs out of every ANGEL episode preview trailer I could find online...wonderful stuff for nostalgic value.
Old 12-16-05, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i guess that would mean for season 5 and 7 the teaser would make a mention of a plot point that was a few episodes/season's ago and without the teaser, you may not get the reference?
No, the finale of S5 has a specially-edited teaser with events from every previous season that runs directly into the start of the main action in the episode.

S7 has a episode whose teaser actually contains new footage for the start of the episode that is simply dropped on the DVD.
Old 12-16-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
No, the finale of S5 has a specially-edited teaser with events from every previous season that runs directly into the start of the main action in the episode.

S7 has a episode whose teaser actually contains new footage for the start of the episode that is simply dropped on the DVD.
Is that footage missing on the previous season sets or on the new "Chosen" set? Or is it missing on both releases?
Old 12-16-05, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Is that footage missing on the previous season sets or on the new "Chosen" set? Or is it missing on both releases?
That 'Chosen Collection' contains the exact same discs with the exact same disc art as the single season sets- no changes whatsoever.
Old 12-17-05, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
More specifically, in season seven, the twentieth episode, "Touched," ends on a bit of a cliffhanger.

The next episode, "End of Days," leads in directly from the cliffhanger in "Touched." The teaser took the events leading up to the climax and resolved the cliffhanger, but since Fox or whoever didn't want to include the teasers, the resolution of the cliffhanger didn't make it onto the DVD.

It's not hard to figure out what happened, but, Christ... they really fucked that one up.

And the teaser from the fifth season, for the one hundredth episode, is included in the extras for season seven. But it sucks not to have it included on "The Gift."
Old 01-18-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i'm on season 2 already, and really enjoying it so far. i made the mistake of listening to a firefly commentary (the one for the pilot) and Whedon drops a big spoiler right at the begning of the episode.
and for season 2, those menus are very annoying, and after watching the John Ritter episode, and then going back to the menu with the HUGE spoiler in the menu, now i just look away.
Old 01-18-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
More specifically, in season seven, the twentieth episode, "Touched," ends on a bit of a cliffhanger.

The next episode, "End of Days," leads in directly from the cliffhanger in "Touched." The teaser took the events leading up to the climax and resolved the cliffhanger, but since Fox or whoever didn't want to include the teasers, the resolution of the cliffhanger didn't make it onto the DVD.

It's not hard to figure out what happened, but, Christ... they really fucked that one up.
They did the same thing for some episodes of season three of 'Angel', but managed to edit them carefully enough that they didn't lose anything.

Me? I LOATHE the "previously on" tags. I hate 'em like you wouldn't believe. Just watch my blood pressure rise when I try and fast-forward over 'em on 'Veronica Mars' or 'Twin Peaks.' They're only there for viewers who missed (or forgot) earlier episodes and 99.99999% of the time, the relevant info is included in expository dialogue in the episode itself anyway. They're condescending and insulting.

The ONLY show that justifies those things is 'Arrested Development.'

If you HAVE to include 'em for other shows, you ought to do like the HBO sets do, and include 'em as an option on the main menu. At the VERY least, they ought to chapter stop 'em, so those of us who like to start the episode at the beginning (what with not having forgotten what just happened already) can just hit the next chapter and start there, rather than having to fast-forward back and forth until we hit the actual beginning.

I was doing a little happy dance when I realized that the 'Buffy', 'Angel' and 'Firefly' sets didn't include those stupid network-required promos. (Well, except for 'When She Was Bad', 'The Body', 'Just Rewards', 'Shells' and 'Not Fade Away') Now if we could only get remasters that did away with the "In every generation...." introductions that appeared on random episodes for 'Buffy' seasons one and two........ They cut the intros out of the 'Firefly' set, why couldn't they do the same for 'Buffy'?
Old 01-18-06, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wergo
They did the same thing for some episodes of season three of 'Angel', but managed to edit them carefully enough that they didn't lose anything.

Me? I LOATHE the "previously on" tags. I hate 'em like you wouldn't believe. Just watch my blood pressure rise when I try and fast-forward over 'em on 'Veronica Mars' or 'Twin Peaks.' They're only there for viewers who missed (or forgot) earlier episodes and 99.99999% of the time, the relevant info is included in expository dialogue in the episode itself anyway. They're condescending and insulting.

The ONLY show that justifies those things is 'Arrested Development.'

If you HAVE to include 'em for other shows, you ought to do like the HBO sets do, and include 'em as an option on the main menu. At the VERY least, they ought to chapter stop 'em, so those of us who like to start the episode at the beginning (what with not having forgotten what just happened already) can just hit the next chapter and start there, rather than having to fast-forward back and forth until we hit the actual beginning.

I was doing a little happy dance when I realized that the 'Buffy', 'Angel' and 'Firefly' sets didn't include those stupid network-required promos. (Well, except for 'When She Was Bad', 'The Body', 'Just Rewards', 'Shells' and 'Not Fade Away') Now if we could only get remasters that did away with the "In every generation...." introductions that appeared on random episodes for 'Buffy' seasons one and two........ They cut the intros out of the 'Firefly' set, why couldn't they do the same for 'Buffy'?
whats annoying is that for "lost" sometimes there is a seperate chapter for the "previously on's" where you can skip right to where the show should start, and then there are other times where the show has already started when you hit hte chapter skip button.

oh and what intro's were on "firefly"? I dont' really mind the "in every generation" tags for buffy, but i prefer the season 1 version then Giles doing the voice over.

i am also very interested (please don't spoil it) with how spike goes from being the big bad guy in season 2, to buffy's love interest in season 6 (ive seen one or two season 6 episodes including the musical.)
Old 01-18-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i am also very interested (please don't spoil it) with how spike goes from being the big bad guy in season 2, to buffy's love interest in season 6 (ive seen one or two season 6 episodes including the musical.)
Just watch seasons 3-6 and you'll understand. It's a very long arc which had a few seeds planted in season 2.
Old 01-18-06, 07:42 PM

Kinda off topic but regarding the Chosen Collection are the disks the same as in the regular season boxes?
Old 01-18-06, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by darkshadowdog
Kinda off topic but regarding the Chosen Collection are the disks the same as in the regular season boxes?
Yes. Exactly the same - disc art is the same, content is the same.

A separate bonus disc is the only 'extra'.
Old 01-19-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh and what intro's were on "firefly"? I dont' really mind the "in every generation" tags for buffy, but i prefer the season 1 version then Giles doing the voice over.
There were two of them, both recorded at the insistence of Fox to clue in the dimmer elements of the audience as to the premise of the show. I make a concerted effort to carefully edit all intros, commercials and "previously on" tags off of the tapes I recorded from the broadcasts (hey, I did a better job with the beginning of 'End Of Days' than the DVD did) so I don't even remember the exact wording (though I remember some confusion as to the reference to solar systems (plural) being colonized). Sorry. But they were very similar to the 'Buffy' intro.

Well, you're really asking two questions there: why does Spike fall for Buffy and why does Buffy fall for Spike. Two VERY different motivations. Lotsa fun ahead deconstructing THAT relationship.
Old 01-23-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, the season 2 finale was amazing.
idiot question regrading the "big scene" at the end of pt 2
Spoiler:
When Buffy sent Angel to hell, did she realize that Willow made him good again with that spell?
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Just watch seasons 3-6 and you'll understand. It's a very long arc which had a few seeds planted in season 2.
I noticed that the very first part of this arc started in this episode. The awkward silence between Buffy's Mom and Spike in the living room was great.

Should i start a thread in tv talk, since i know the other big "i'm a buffy virgin" thread got deleted some how.
Old 01-23-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Wow, the season 2 finale was amazing.
idiot question regrading the "big scene" at the end of pt 2
Spoiler:
When Buffy sent Angel to hell, did she realize that Willow made him good again with that spell?
Spoiler:
Yes, but she had to follow through with killing him anyway, because if she didn't the world would be destroyed. It's her knowing sacrifice that makes the scene so emotionally devastating.
Old 01-23-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also noticed a young Wentworth Miller aka "Scolfield" in Prison Break in the episode "go fish". hell he even looks the same as he does in prison break even though season 2 was what 10 years ago.
Old 02-13-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

got done with season 3 last night, now the 64,000 dollar question is... should i wait until i have angel box sets to continue my journey, or just keep going, and eventually down the road pick up angel.
Old 02-13-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are some crossovers that are nice to see in order but you can certainly enjoy one series without the other. They manage to keep each series self-contained, so you won't feel like you're missing anything.