Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Joey on DVD ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-05, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joey on DVD ???

I cannot make heads or tails of tvshowsondvd.com, does anybody know if/when Joey will be coming to DVD?

I have never seen an episode of this show, and I am a big Friends fan. Reason why I never watched it is because I lived in an area that was "NBC-Challenged" and I had no way of watching regularly aired shows. Now that I can watch local networks, I do not want to pick up watching a show somewhere in the middle, I want to see it from the beginning.

Last edited by costanza187; 12-08-05 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-08-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
They've already released the first season in the UK. That means that a Region 1 release shouldn't be *too* far behind. I'd guess sometime in the spring although nothing has been officially announced yet.
Old 12-08-05, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by costanza187
Now that I can watch local networks, I do not want to pick up watching a show somewhere in the middle
Doesn't look like you'll have to worry about that much longer. NBC has pulled this show from the schedule with no guarantee of returning.

Only watched this show once. Just because you like Friends doesn't mean you'll like this one. If I were you, I'd rent this one (when/if available) before buying.
Old 12-08-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am a dedicated Joey watcher -- but just out of habbit. It isn't as good as Friends by far (and not as good as say the Frasier spin off was from Cheers). Friends had those great running storylines throughout the show, Joey has none of that and sadly just isn't memorable As already advised, I'd rent it first if/when it comes out.
Old 12-08-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It will be in my Blockbuster queue when the time comes!
Old 12-08-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mythmaker18
Doesn't look like you'll have to worry about that much longer. NBC has pulled this show from the schedule with no guarantee of returning.
NBC will definitely be filming and airing the entire second season of Joey. In terms of their contract, they still end up paying for them regardless of whether or not they air them. So they might as well use it as new programming SOMEWHERE in their primetime line up instead of reruns.

Originally Posted by nightwing82
I am a dedicated Joey watcher -- but just out of habbit. It isn't as good as Friends by far (and not as good as say the Frasier spin off was from Cheers). Friends had those great running storylines throughout the show, Joey has none of that and sadly just isn't memorable As already advised, I'd rent it first if/when it comes out.
Nightwing is right, costanza187. There is no through-line story like Friends had. You can watch Joey tonight and still be basically as caught up as someone who's been watching since the beginning (like me unfortunately).
Old 12-08-05, 09:05 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I forgot about the second season premiere, and ended up missing it (if it even aired.) Because of that and also because of work, I haven't tried to watch it this season. I figured I'd just download it, or wait for it to come out on DVD.

However, if I'm reading this right and understanding everything...Season 2 hasn't been filmed yet?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but being a fan of the show, I'm interested in getting to the bottom of this.
Old 12-08-05, 09:08 PM

Worst waste of dvd space ever.
Old 12-09-05, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
However, if I'm reading this right and understanding everything...Season 2 hasn't been filmed yet?
Season 2 has been airing for quite a while now.
Old 12-09-05, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by costanza187
I cannot make heads or tails of tvshowsondvd.com, does anybody know if/when Joey will be coming to DVD?
Hi, I'm the News Director at TVShowsOnDVD. What's confusing about the site? Let Gord and I know, so we can make things better if need be.

If you go to the site, on the left you'll see a menu under our logo. There's 3 approaches to finding out what you want to know:

1) Click "TV Show Voting". In the Show Name field, type "Joey" and press enter or click Search. OR, navigate with the alphabetical links on the bottom by clicking "J" and scrolling through the pages. When you find the name of the show on the list, there either will or won't be an "X" in the column labeled "DVDs". If there's not an "X", there are no DVDs for that show. IF there IS an "X", then there are DVDs, and clicking that X will bring up the list of all of them.

2a) From the same list results, you can click on the title of the Show Name you want, and it will pull up info about the show. At the bottom, under "more info about the show", will be links to "DVD Releases for this show" (won't appear if there are none), and "Show News" (again, won't appear if there is none). If there IS news for this show, then click Show News to read any news we've posted saying that there's DVDs on the way. By the way, clicking "DVD Releases for this show" is the same as clicking the "X" in #1 above.

2b) The OTHER way to find show news a bit easier from the home page is to click "News Stories" in the left-hand menu. Once you do that, a sub-menu appears within a lighter color background, and you will see "News By Show". Click that, and then use the Alphabetical links to get into the neighborhood of the show you want ("J" for "Joey"). Only shows with news posts about them appear in this list, so it is much shorter than the "all shows" voting list. See if you find your show listed; if so, there's news. If not, then no news.

3) The left-hand menu item called "DVD Releases" works exactly like the News By Show in that it only lists shows with DVD releases for them, so it is a much shorter list than the "all shows" voting list. Again, if you find your show listed, there are DVDs for them (same list as the "X" in #1). If your show isn't on the list, there's no DVDs.

Finally, when all else fails, use the "Search Site" choice at the bottom of the left-hand menu, and it brings you to a Google Search page that is restricted just to our site. So you can type in "Joey" to that, and it will find all instances where we used the word "Joey" anywhere in the site (for instance, perhaps, inside some Friends news).

Remember, we're strictly a Region 1 (North America) site, so overseas releases are invisible to us. There's just two of us, and we're doing this unpaid, as a labor of love so to speak, so we don't have time to cover the whole world (since we must also work other jobs to pay the bills!).

I think what's confusing, though, is that you don't see DVD listings for Joey, nor do you see news that it is on the way. That's actually not so confusing, since Warner just got Friends S10 out, and wouldn't want to release Joey on DVD until after Friends was done. Since Joey is on hiatus for a few months, I think that Warner should get things together quickly for a Season 1 DVD release in time to help promote Joey's return to primetime, whenever that happens. It would be the best move to help promote the show. On the other hand, ratings indicate that the show doesn't have too much longer to live, much to my dismay (I enjoy it, no matter what anyone else thinks...oh, not as much as Friends, but it IS worth my time). So what Warner decides to do DVD-wise is anybody's guess. Stay tuned, and the second we have news about this show coming to DVD, it will be posted.

If you register at the site, and vote for the show, and have e-mail notification turned on, then you'll get an e-mail anytime we add news or release listings for shows you have voted for...Gord built the site to do that automatically whenever he or I add something about any show.
Old 01-06-06, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Comfort Eagle
I feel the same about "Friends".
Old 01-07-06, 09:04 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Comfort Eagle

If you aren't interested in the DVD, then don't post in the thread. Comments like the one here are considered thread craps and are against forum rules.
Old 01-08-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think this show could have used another "Friend" on it...Wasn't this supposed to happen sometime in the 2nd season?

And I can't wait for this on DVD.
Old 01-08-06, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Albert71292
I feel the same about "Friends".
Me too.
Old 01-09-06, 07:53 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by emhello
Me too.

You might want to read my response to him a couple of posts up. Threadcrapping is against the rules and can result in having your account suspended.
Old 01-09-06, 03:23 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

This may or may not be of any use, but I'll go ahead and post it anyway jsut in case someone can use it.

'Joey' season 1 is actually available on Region 2 and ready to purchase at play.com for the equivalent of about $32 for a 3 disc set.

If you have a player that can be "manufactured" to play other regions then this may be of use to you.

I don't know why some shows get released in the UK before we even here of it (I guess that's the studios for you). Not only is 'Joey' available, but they also have season 3 of 'Scrubs' due for release next month and they also already have saeson 1 of 'Two and a Half Men'.