DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why no Shane Black love?

Old 12-07-05, 09:07 PM

Why no Shane Black love?

How come none of Shane Black's films are special editions on dvd? Even Lethal Weapon pretty much only has the film on the disc. Sure, The Last Boy Scout, The Long Kiss Goodnight and The Last Action Hero didn't make much money during their theatrical runs, but from what I understand people rent them like crazy. Has anyone heard anything about any of these films being released in better editions? Any chance they'll try and cash in on the forthcoming dvd release of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?
Old 12-07-05, 10:26 PM

Considering KISS KISS BANG BANG wasn't exactly a massive hit, I don't know how much "cashing in" the various studios involved would realistically expect. But I agree, I would love to see some more attention given to Black's work. KKBB is one of my favorite films this year.
Old 12-08-05, 07:56 AM

I hope and I think that Kiss Kiss Bang Bang will get the attention it deserves on dvd. I think it's gonna be one of those cases, like Fight Club, where it becomes alot of people's favourite movie. I can't understand for the life of me why Warners didn't give it a wide release. It has gotten great reviews everywhere!
Old 12-08-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really hope that Kiss kiss gets a loaded DVD... I can't even tell you how much I love that movie...and the fight club analogy seems pretty good... KKBB is going to knock a lot of people on their asses when they see it on video...

MATT
Old 12-08-05, 10:18 AM

I think that Warners lacks the vision to indulge the marketplace with a quality-loaded KKBB disc. They really only to seem to get behind proven entities. Maybe once KKBB finds its audience (fingers crossed!) on DVD and cable, then for Blu-Ray, they might get a clue. But I bet the initial DVD is filled with the kind of lightweight fluff they usually load up on their new releases.
Old 12-08-05, 10:33 AM

Well it seems there's going to at least be a commentary track on the Kiss Kiss dvd, if one is to believe this interview:
What is your next project?

What I have to look forward to after this is perhaps the DVD commentary [for Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang]. Then it's going to be my job to sit down and really start to focus on what comes next. Another directing project, if I can swing it. I think my next project is leaning towards being a take on everything I love in horror films. I have a 30-page treatment for a horror script I'm working on. That's always where it starts. So, we'll see where it takes me.
Old 12-08-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HUGE Shane fan here. The fact Kiss Kiss didn't get the proper wide release is a complete travesty. It's by far one of the funniest and well-acted films of 2005 -- not to mention action packed and sexy. Wow, I can't believe how poorly it was marketed.....shame shame shame

Anyway, back on topic. We need a Last Boy Scout SE for 2006 -- who do we petition?
Old 12-10-05, 02:48 AM

Lethal Weapon needs a Special Edition. I don't understand why this hasn't happened. Seems a sure money-maker.
Old 12-10-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Anyway, back on topic. We need a Last Boy Scout SE for 2006 -- who do we petition?"

I could not agree more!