Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What dvds have you imported to your Video iPod?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-07-05, 08:23 AM
JIF

I've got the black 60 gig iPod:

AMERICAN PIE
AMERICAN PSYCHO
BATMAN BEGINS
BATTLE ROYALE
BREATHLESS
CHAPPELLE'S SHOW episodes
ESCAPE FROM NY
FACE/OFF
FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH
HAUTE TENSION
LA FEMME NIKITA
PERDITA DURANGO
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
SCARFACE
[SUPERMAN RETURNS teaser]
SWINGERS
THE CROW
THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER
THE INCREDIBLES
THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE
THE WARRIORS
[X3 teaser]
Old 12-07-05, 08:31 AM

I have the black 30G so All I've imported is chappelle show. I did download michael jackson Thriller video though
Old 12-07-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

People won't spend more than $60 on a DVDp to get halfway decent video quality, but they'll drop $300 for even worse quality. There is no god.
Old 12-07-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
People won't spend more than $60 on a DVDp to get halfway decent video quality, but they'll drop $300 for even worse quality. There is no god.
Were you sleeping while zillions of iPods were sold before they ever supported video? Very few people are buying these with the sole intent of using them as portable video players. If I had waited a year to get mine and mine had video, I'd probably throw some content on it also.
Old 12-07-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How can you import a DVD to the iPod?
Old 12-07-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by abrg923
How can you import a DVD to the iPod?

Good question. Didn't think it was so easy to do.
Old 12-07-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does a DVDp play music files?

Picture quality on the iPod Video, although small, is pretty damn good.
Old 12-07-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even when viewed on a normal tv, it outputs VHS quality video, so for a simple on the go player, its great. Now, if only mine hadn't died after four days by locking up permanently.
Old 12-07-05, 10:21 PM
Cool New Member

How do you get the dvd movies in the i pod?
Old 12-08-05, 01:52 AM

hopefully this isn't breaking any forum rules but there is third party freeware for mac users that allow you to put files on your computer that make it relatively easy to import movies to your VideoIPOD. if you want the info, email me at [email protected].
Old 12-08-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jason
Yes, most do play at least mp3 and wma files.
Old 12-08-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jason

Picture quality on the iPod Video, although small, is pretty damn good.
Yes about audio. CD, DD, DTS, DVD-A, SACD, various formats of MP3 for no apparent reason.

And iPod video is limited to 320x240. (480x480 with external display, I believe, still less than DVD) If that's your definition of "pretty damn good", it's embarrassing. Just like MP3.

Is it the same people who want this yet complain about DVDs and are looking forward to HD discs? Hope not.
Old 12-08-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes about audio. CD, DD, DTS, DVD-A, SACD, various formats of MP3 for no apparent reason.

And iPod video is limited to 320x240. (480x480 with external display, I believe, still less than DVD) If that's your definition of "pretty damn good", it's embarrassing. Just like MP3.

Is it the same people who want this yet complain about DVDs and are looking forward to HD discs? Hope not.
The only difference is that here, the video ipod is ostensibly acting as an expansion of someone's existing DVD and Home Theater. I can understand this much more than buying UMDs instead of DVDs.

I don't think I would watch everything on the ipod. But if I had a long train ride, I wouldn't mind watching some things. Also, if I had a long train ride, I'd probably invest in a laptop which is 2x to 3x the price but offers about 50x as many uses.
Old 12-08-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree, but on that size screen 320X240 works pretty well and this is for watching video on the go so having a portable video player that small is a pretty cool idea.

I have been doing this kind of thing with my GBA and Play Yan for awhile now and the video is really quite good at 320X240 on a small screen. Granted I wouldn't pay for video of that low quality since you could never watch it on a normal display.

As far as doing the conversions. Try google because it is definitely not something we should discuss here.
Old 12-08-05, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Even when viewed on a normal tv, it outputs VHS quality video, so for a simple on the go player, its great. Now, if only mine hadn't died after four days by locking up permanently.
Welcome to the Ipod club. They forget to mention in the accessories section the days/weeks/months/years of problems you will have to endure in order to get a working one that "just" has some glitches.
Old 12-08-05, 11:13 AM
JIF

Mod Note: these are forum violations to post, thanks

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 12-08-05 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-08-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watch my Farscape Fan Vids. I have over 200 of them. Also Stargate, Buffy and Firefly. Love them. There are plenty of conversion programs. Almost all let you 'try before you buy'. You just have to convert to MP3 and/or Quicktime. Do not use P2P download sites, they will only get you into trouble. I buy cheap $1 public domain movies/TV program DVDs and VHS and convert them myself.