Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sin City recut... only 4 minutes longer?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-05, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.

I was just wondering if there's any truth to the rumours that, instead of being 23 minutes longer, the recut Sin City is only 4 minutes longer? With most of the 'extra length' attributed to the title/credits for each story?

Initially I heard about it on a non-dvd forum I post at, which referred to the imdb boards and this:
http://www.nforce.nl/nfos/shownfoblack.php?nfoid=99461

I've also since seen it in the dvdactive comments page for the movie. But obviously no half-credible sources, as of yet.

Now, the official artwork here:
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/sin-city10.html

Clearly states 'over 20 minutes of additional footage' (as opposed to 4 minutes of footage and 19 minutes of credits; credits which I'm sure most don't consider to be footage).

Most news sites only posted their own re-wordings of the press release (dvd active for example), so you lose the exact wording, but at davisdvd you can find the actual release:
http://www.davisdvd.com/news/bin/press.html

It only says '23 extra minutes'. This wording, unlike the wording on the artwork, could very well mean 19 minutes of credits.

I was just wondering what the case actual is? Seeing as I don't yet own the movie, I'll be buying it regardless, but it'll be disappointing that there will only be 1/6th of the new footage I thought there would be.

FWIW, amazon are using the wording from the artwork in their listing... over 20 minute of actual footage added.

If there is only 4 extra minutes... there's definitely been some deceptive/confusing marketing at play. I mean, giving each film its own title sequence and credits is cool... but just not when you weren't thinking they'd make up most of the extra time.

p.s. if the rumors ar true, it's not possible to watch the extended stories as one uninterrupted film.

Last edited by gOoBaLL; 12-06-05 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-06-05, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would be VERY disappointed if this is anywhere near close to the truth. Sure someone around here has some "inside" knowledge! Dearly like to know the facts on this one.
Old 12-06-05, 06:15 PM

I hope it isn't true... the fact that there was no discussion about it on any major sites (this one, htf, etc.) lead me to think it's false... but I thought I'd ask to be sure.
Old 12-06-05, 08:52 PM

i read somewhere (can't remember) that there is indeed only 4 additional minutes. there is another 16 minutes of opening/closing credits because the different segments are now broken out into separate movies. So that's technically 20 additional minutes, but only 4 'real' additional minutes.

I am re-thinking about getting this one now.
Old 12-06-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Wow. That would suck. Anyone else know anything?
Old 12-06-05, 09:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

nah its bullshit. From Rodriguez himself

"Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawRonin
Hi my name is Jason and I'm from California. Mr. Rodriguez, I was just wondering if you could tell me a little about the added footage that was put into the extended cut of Sin City. EX: which stories have added footage, which characters are shown in the added footage, and also why you chose to make an extended cut of the film. Thank you for your time.

Hey everybody! Rodriguez here... typing in from Troublemaker Studios...
The new stuff that was put back in amounts to a total of about 24 minutes. Marv episode probably has the most new footage including the scene with his mom...

from a live chat over at cinecon tonight
Old 12-07-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm waiting on some hard numbers before making my purchase. If it's only 4 minutes of actual movie-time added, I'm skipping this release.
Old 12-07-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I skiped the original... So I'm picking this up either way...
Old 12-07-05, 01:30 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mikewendt
Yeah me too, I'm glad they told us about the upcoming release
Old 12-07-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
You mean thank RR for the info....cause the studio sure wasn't saying.
Old 12-07-05, 01:52 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ditto.
Old 12-07-05, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

they premiered this at a film festival in austin a few months back. It has over twenty minutes worth of new footage.

really....you can stop freaking out.
Old 12-07-05, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
they premiered this at a film festival in austin a few months back. It has over twenty minutes worth of new footage.

really....you can stop freaking out.
I was there, and there were only four or five added scenes. I don't know if it was four minutes (that seems a bit low, since the scene where Marv went to his mother's house was a couple minutes alone), but it certainly didn't seem like 20 minutes to me. I could be wrong, and probably am, since I was just sitting back enjoying the film and not watching the clock...but that's just what I recall. It was August, so it's been a while. Nobody should expect an entirely different film, though.

As far as not being able to watch the segments together as one long film...there aren't credits following each sequence. There might be additional credits at the end of the entire film, but the only notation from sequence to sequence were the title screens.

-JP
Old 12-07-05, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll hold onto my original Sin City disc and save a few $$$.
Old 12-07-05, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by gOoBaLL

Clearly states 'over 20 minutes of additional footage' (as opposed to 4 minutes of footage and 19 minutes of credits; credits which I'm sure most don't consider to be footage).
But when you read the runtime of a film on the back of the case, that is from hitting the play button to the end of the credits...right?
Old 12-07-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whynotsmile
nah its bullshit. From Rodriguez himself

"Quote:

... Rodriguez here... The new stuff that was put back in amounts to a total of about 24 minutes. Marv episode probably has the most new footage including the scene with his mom...

from a live chat over at cinecon tonight
This still doesn't clarify whether additional footage includes credits. One should not assume a director is motivated by best intentions all the time, and he can certainly go along with a marketing scheme, the likes of which is alleged by the OP.

That said, I will pick this up since I skipped the barebones version, but I am curious to see by how much scenes were extended versus credits.
Old 12-07-05, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'll hold onto my original Sin City disc and save a few $$$.
same for me.
Old 12-07-05, 08:48 AM
Retired

Same here, I care more about being able to watch the individual stories and actually having some real extra features than the added footage anyway.
Old 12-07-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only watched two of the episodes but the new footage I did see didn't amount to that much in terms of screen time. Like someone else said, Marv visiting his mom didn't last that long. What did last long were the credits at the end of each of the four(?) chapters.
Old 12-07-05, 10:09 AM
Cool New Member

I jut took a look at both of my versions of Sin City and there is close to 23 minutes of additional footage. It is not in the titles or in the credits. I got an advanced copy.
Old 12-07-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
The Marv episode has two new scenes, with his mom and with Weevil, about two minutes total. If that's the "longest" addition...
Old 12-07-05, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Trippin315
I jut took a look at both of my versions of Sin City and there is close to 23 minutes of additional footage. It is not in the titles or in the credits. I got an advanced copy.
details details!!
Old 12-07-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdman47
But when you read the runtime of a film on the back of the case, that is from hitting the play button to the end of the credits...right?
I think it depends. I've seen a few that are pretty much spot on with the movie itself.
Old 12-07-05, 11:56 AM

Something to consider: most films have at least 90 or 100 scenes. Most film scenes are at most a couple of minutes long. Think of how much is added to a film like LOTR:FOTR that is already 3 hours long and has ~20~ minutes of additional footage inserted. You guys may be in for a harsh surprise.
Old 12-07-05, 12:19 PM
Cool New Member

What details would you like. The packaging is a lot better. The comic book that is included is very cool

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.