Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Sanjuro reissues!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Sanjuro reissues!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-06, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh... I'll stick with my old releases. Brazil too. How are college students supposed to cope with double dipping on criterions?
Old 08-25-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, just letting you know I recently finished a review for the new 3-disc Seven Samurai, which should be posted very soon. Brazil should also be coming in the next few days.
Old 08-25-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by yeldarb367
^ Same here. I want Seven Samurai but I'm probably going to hold out until the box set is released.
A boxset for these titles might be a tad unweildy, unless the new Sanjuro and Yojimbo transfers are also released in digipacks (like the new Seven Samurai). That's certainly a possibility, but Criterion usually only does this for three-disc sets or sets with softcover books included.

And the box won't work for me because of my compulsive ordering tendencies... all Kurosawa titles (or any director's, for that matter) must be on my shelf in the order of release!
Old 08-28-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any thoughts on the new 4.0 audio mix? Has anything like this ever been done on a DVD or film before ... I mean creating a stereo mix from original elements for an older film in a format that would have been used at the time, rather than a current (2006) format like 5.1? (I'm presuming that Criterion did this because a magnetic stereo track for a 1954 movie would have been configured as 4.0, if I'm wrong I'm sure the forum will let me know. Although I don't know that any 1.37:1 films were produced with 4.0 stereo tracks???).

I realize that this is may be a pretty esoteric question
Old 08-29-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sure, Criterion did it with a similar sort of track (three channel) for "The Hidden Fortress" called "Perspect-A-Sound", which basically raises/lowers the volume of the same information in different channels to create a panning effect.
Old 08-30-06, 04:02 PM
Cool New Member

Yojimbo and Sanjuro will not be released this year. The December slots are filled, including another re-issue, this one unexpected.

Old 08-30-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by spielbrik
Yojimbo and Sanjuro will not be released this year. The December slots are filled, including another re-issue, this one unexpected.

Not a bad replacement! I love this movie!
Old 08-30-06, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shock Corridor is one of my favorite Fuller films. Anxiously awaiting info on extras. Double dip for sure.
Old 08-30-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm rather shocked that there isn't more talk going on about this new Seven Samurai release than there is.
Old 08-30-06, 08:02 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I'm rather shocked that there isn't more talk going on about this new Seven Samurai release than there is.
Well, I've never seen it. However, It will be a blind buy for me. Also, after buying a HD-DVD player it seems I'm still buying more dvds than HD titles. The HD titles have been piss poor in my opinion. The only one I'm even looking forward to next month is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. The player upconverts regular dvd so good that I don't mind still buying some dvds. I actually hate HD DVD cases so great packaging like the one Seven Samurai is receiving is a bonus!
Old 08-30-06, 11:03 PM
Cool New Member

Actually, the resolution is that small because I accidentally resized it.

As for the source, it's from my friends cousin who apparently updates criterions website. I don't know for certian if he actually works for them, but I've found out about a few releases from him. Shock Corridor seemed like the real deal to me because it was too random to make up, and usually the fake ones are not screencaps. For example he sent me this one a few weeks ago, saying it was a "tester". I was incredibly excited until I saw it on rottentomatoes.com. What a drag.

Old 08-30-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haha, I wish that The Hustler would hit CC.
Old 08-31-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
I still see this as a long way off. HD is still not a viable source of income. It will appeal to home theater enthusiast, and many major studio titles will see a dual release, however I think dvd has a long shelf life in front of it, as many don't have the means not only for the players but the television sets needed to display the image. I see HD as a compliment to dvd, much like Laserdisc was to VHS. I still see long legs for dvd, and assume criterion does as well.
My only hope is that as Criterion redoes some of these transfers, they also have them prepared in such a way (HD, 2K, or 4K) that it would be easy for them to enter releasing these films on HD, so when the time comes, they don't need to go back to do it again.
Old 09-01-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got a shipping notification email from Overstock for Seven Samurai this morning. Wish me luck in that it gets here in one piece.
Old 09-01-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a shipping notification email from Overstock for Seven Samurai this morning. Wish me luck in that it gets here in one piece.
Got my shipping notification today from DVD Planet for Seven Samurai. I'd be worried about ordering it from overstock, they are very inconsistent, but you may get lucky, I have in the past. Good luck!
Old 09-01-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Both Playtime and Seven Samurai shipped today from DVD Planet. Can't Wait.
Old 09-01-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This may be a stupid question, but here goes:

Is it a "must" to watch Mr. Hulot's Holiday or Mon oncle before checking out Playtime? I've never seen any of them.
Old 09-01-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I dont think it's a must. It's not like its plot hinges on activities in those films.

Definitely see them sometime.
Old 10-17-06, 04:16 PM
Banned

From criterionco.com:

And rereleases of Sanjuro and Yojimbo:

Synopsis

Toshiro Mifune swaggers and snarls to brilliant comic effect in Akria Kurosawa’s tightly paced, beautifully composed Sanjuro. In this sly companion piece to Yojimbo, the jaded samurai Sanjuro helps an idealistic group of young warriors weed out their clan’s evil influences, and in the process turns their image of a “proper” samurai on its ear. Less brazen in tone than its predecessor but equally entertaining, this classic character’s return is a masterpiece in its own right. Criterion is proud to present this Kurosawa favorite in a new, high-definition transfer.

Available individually or as part of the Yojimbo/Sanjuro collector's set!

Special Features

All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer

Optional Dolby Digital 3.0 soundtrack, preserving the original Perspecta simulated-stereo effects

Audio commentary by film historian and Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince

A 35-minute documentary on the making of Sanjuro, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create

Theatrical trailer and teaser

Stills gallery of behind-the-scenes photos

New and improved English subtitle translation

PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Sragow and notes and statements from Kurosawa and his cast and crew

Synopsis

The incomparable Toshiro Mifune stars in Akira Kurosawa’s visually stunning and darkly comic Yojimbo. To rid a terror-stricken village of corruption, wily masterless samurai Sanjuro turns a range war between two evil clans to his own advantage. Remade twice, by Sergio Leone and Walter Hill, this exhilarating genre-twister remains one of the most influential and entertaining films ever produced. Criterion is proud to present this Kurosawa favorite in a new, high-definition transfer.

Available individually or as part of the Yojimbo/Sanjuro collector's set!

Special Features

All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer

Optional Dolby Digital 3.0 soundtrack, preserving the original Perspecta simulated-stereo effects

Audio commentary by film historian and Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince

A 45-minute documentary on the making of Yojimbo, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create

Theatrical trailer and teaser

Stills gallery of behind-the-scenes photos

New and improved English subtitle translation
Old 10-17-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but here goes:

Is it a "must" to watch Mr. Hulot's Holiday or Mon oncle before checking out Playtime? I've never seen any of them.
The movies are independent of each other unless you're interested in the studying the evolution of Tati as a film maker and/or the Hulot character.
Old 10-17-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Um, why does the page for Sanjuro and Yojimbo have them listed as non-anamorphic? I sure hope that is some kind of oversight......
Love the new covers.
Old 10-18-06, 01:46 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is the hidden fortress going to be re-released?
Old 10-18-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
Um, why does the page for Sanjuro and Yojimbo have them listed as non-anamorphic? I sure hope that is some kind of oversight......
Love the new covers.
Yikes! That's got to be a mistake. (I pray)
Old 10-18-06, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ytrez
Yikes! That's got to be a mistake. (I pray)
No, say it isn't so. I so want this, but it has to be anamorphic.
Old 10-18-06, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
No, say it isn't so. I so want this, but it has to be anamorphic.
Wasn't that the whole reason of going back and doing the reissues in the first place? I don't see how the new discs could be nonanamorphic - there's no way Criterion would have done new transfers and not made them 16:9 enhanced.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.