Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Trek: The Animated Series (rumored) 2006 release

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If stores can get it down to about $35-$40.00 after sales and discounts, I will be good.
Old 07-22-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StarTrek.com now reports that the the SRP is now $62.99 ! ! !
This suddenly went from a 'must buy' to a 'probably not'...
Old 07-22-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts
Still a must-buy (because unlike the rest of Trek, you don't see it on TV anywhere anymore), but it does suck.
Old 07-22-06, 04:27 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by critterdvd
This suddenly went from a 'must buy' to a 'probably not'...
At around $45 the week it's released, this still ain't a bad deal. It sucks that I can get new seasons of EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND for $30, but this crusty relic from '70s Saturday mornings somehow warrants a higher price, but it's still a workable fee...
Old 07-22-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,422 Likes on 1,039 Posts
Not really shocked...

just disappointed. Everytime you think Paramount has turned it around, they go and turn right back into a pumpkin.
Old 07-22-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Well.*shrug* That's our Paramount!"

*canned laughter*

Last edited by Panda Phil; 07-22-06 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-22-06, 10:41 PM
Cool New Member

OK....
Um..........

SRP $35 here:
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...cle/19635.html

SRP $62.99 here:
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...cle/19596.html

somebody over there must like effing with us !

which of the two announcements are we to believe ?!?!??!

Last edited by mars396; 07-22-06 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-22-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been waiting for this release far too long to be worried about the price - I'm getting it either way.
Old 07-23-06, 11:03 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Mikael79
I've been waiting for this release far too long to be worried about the price - I'm getting it either way.
Exactly what Paramount/CBS wants to read....

they can charge ANYTHING for a 22-episode cartoon, and think we Star Trek geeks will pay it.

A shame; I thought under CBS rule they were finally doing the right thing by us.

Last edited by mars396; 07-23-06 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-23-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mars396
Exactly what Paramount/CBS wants to read....

they can charge ANYTHING for a 22-episode cartoon, and think we Star Trek geeks will pay it.

A shame; I thought under CBS rule they were finally doing the right thing by us.
I know Trek fans who still haven't picked up the OS and Enterprise because of the high prices on those. They have appeared to drop prices on some of their sets so far, so why rush to buy something so over priced just to have it? Personally, I can wait. And if the Animated Series never goes down in price, then I really won't care.
Old 07-23-06, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts
I haven't bought TOS S3 yet because of the price and the fact that it was a lackluster season. If it comes down 20-30% in price I will. In the meantime, I can always catch those episodes on cable.

Like I said before, I'm willing to pay out the ass for TAS because I like it, and because it hasn't aired on television in years and probably never will.
Old 07-24-06, 08:22 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
I know Trek fans who still haven't picked up the OS and Enterprise because of the high prices on those.

As an absolute TREK freak (hell, I even collected the entire Original Series on VHS in the '80s, then upgraded the whole thing to LaserDisc through Columbia House in the early '90s), if you would have told me in 1997 that all STAR TREK series would come out on DVD and, even years after their release, I wouldn't own a single episode, I'd have told you that you were out of your ever-lovin' gourd, but that's before I discovered how hard Paramount was going to try to ride me and my fellow Trekkers.
Old 07-24-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Like I said before, I'm willing to pay out the ass for TAS because I like it, and because it hasn't aired on television in years and probably never will.
Yep. I think the last time I saw it was when it aired on Saturday mornings on TV Land about 9 years ago. I don't think it's aired since then.

Also, I'm a big fan of the Filmation adventure shows (He-Man, Flash Gordon, Star Trek), so this is a no-brainer for me.
Old 07-24-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would have paid $30 for this, but not $50.
Old 07-24-06, 02:10 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing it again, via Netflix.

I'm a lifelong Trek fan, ever since I saw Roddenberry at a science fiction fan meeting showing clips of the pilot when I was 14, in 1965. Yet I don't own a single Trek TV DVD, because I refuse to support Paramount's exploitative policy towards the fans.

There's no reason for these sets to cost more than other series sets, aside from Paramount's belief that the traffic will bear the overcharge. There are no music clearance issues, no licensing issues, no actors' residuals that are any different than for any other series. Indeed, Trek sets should, if anything, be relatively inexpensive.

"Thank you sir, may I have another?" I don't think so.

RichC
Old 07-24-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is sad Rdclark, and I agree. Paramount was at the forefront of exploiting viewers on TVonDVD. They thought (and for a while it was true) that everyone would charge that much for TV sets, but then a lot of studios started undercutting them, leading to the $30-$40 pricepoint we see on most series now.

I jumped on TNG just because at $250 from DDD's 20% sale, it came down to $35/season. However, I agree that I won't ever pay anywhere near full price for their DVDs.
Old 07-24-06, 09:37 PM

I agree about the raking us over the coals on these sets, but I am with most of you on this and that I gotta have it. I have several eps on VHS and I can hardly wait for this set. It's one that has been rumored and rumored and rumored to the point I thought they would never get it out.

I expect the stores will have some deals or exclusives and such with it, knowing that it will be a hot item, and want to draw people in to get other higher margin items along with it.

Never paid MSRP or even close. A couple sets were around $70, but they had some bonus disks (ya the exclusive) that I just had to have. But the rest were around 40-50, like the BBuy Enterprise fiasco and Amazon's Voyager "mistake." So I'm pretty happy that I can now complete my Trek

Just going wait and see - especially with Speedy giving us the heads up well in advance with his ads. Thanks Speedy, you do great work - I'm countin' on ya!
Old 07-24-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordwow
Paramount was at the forefront of exploiting viewers on TVonDVD.
Actually, I blame Fox for setting the precedent. They were first out of the box with X Files season sets with SRPs set at $150.00 or so. Paramount saw those become best sellers and got it stuck in their minds that genre fans were willing to shell out hard earned money for those sets. Well, that was nearly ten years ago, and a lot has changed. Season sets, even most genre shows, don't sell much more than $45.00 for a full season for live action shows anymore. Paramount is sticking to a pricing policy that worked 8-10 years ago and are going to lose out because they can't get with the times.

And it's not Paramount either. I recall Hercules season one being an online exclusive before it hit stores and it was a hundred bucks for one season online. Now look at the price of season one for that show. And X-Files have even dropped in price. It's time for Paramount to continue following the lead they started to follow years ago.
Old 07-24-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by forumsmy
But the rest were around 40-50, like the BBuy Enterprise fiasco and Amazon's Voyager "mistake."
Now how could I forget that! But it was Blockbuster that caused that. I am sad they stopped getting in special orders, as I never was able to complete my Enterprise collection.
Old 08-08-06, 01:11 PM

Star Trek TAS up for Pre-Order

Noticed over on DDD (DeepDiscountDVD) that they have Star Trek TAS listed for pre-order - $42.35 - due Nov.21/06.

Anyone notice it anywhere else?

James
Old 08-08-06, 01:23 PM

Still too much. I paid $40.00 for a season of Buffy for example and they were one hour eps... Greedy paramount. They KNOW the average dvd person let alone Dvd buyer will have ZERO interest in this so they jack the price up for the hardcore fans. In contrast look at the recently released Flash Gordon animated series DVD set.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...972761?ie=UTF8
$39.99 list, you can get it for a little over 20 bucks and look at all the bonuses you get.
Old 08-08-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Davy Mack
Still too much. I paid $40.00 for a season of Buffy for example and they were one hour eps... Greedy paramount. They KNOW the average dvd person let alone Dvd buyer will have ZERO interest in this so they jack the price up for the hardcore fans. In contrast look at the recently released Flash Gordon animated series DVD set.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...972761?ie=UTF8
$39.99 list, you can get it for a little over 20 bucks and look at all the bonuses you get.
But you don't have the egos of the original cast to pay for voices on Flash Gordon. And it's Flash Gordon.
Old 08-09-06, 02:20 PM

I doubt any of the ST actors will make a red cent from this unfortunately.

Old 08-10-06, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Davy Mack
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...972761?ie=UTF8
Wow, Amazon sure is discounting that pretty heavily. I can't recall too many new season boxset releases at Amazon with a 48% off discount.
Old 08-31-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by calhoun07
But you don't have the egos of the original cast to pay for voices on Flash Gordon. And it's Flash Gordon.
Does anyone know why Walter Koenig was not in the animated series? I have never seen any of the cartoons, but after reading about them, I see he wrote an episode for the show but doesn't appear to have actually participated as an actor...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.