DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is having everything on DVD bad?

Old 12-01-05, 10:33 AM

Is having everything on DVD bad?

I just ask the question cause I have a 6year old daughter and I have noticed something.

Is it bad to have everything you like on DVD and at your ready to watch when ever??

When I was little, every year CBS would show "Wizard of OZ' and once the commerical started to air for that year I couldn't wait to watch it! Also every christmas I would wait for Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer to air. Even when I was little Star Wars came on HBO before I had it on video. It was a BIG BIG deal then and I acted sick so I could stay home to watch it.

However now my daughter can watch her fav. movies at anytime. She doesn't care if "Wizard of Oz" is coming on TV. She does love it but that magic of waiting for it is gone. She can watch it whenever.

There some old sitcomes and tv shows I loved as a kid and would love to see them again. However if I got them all on DVD back when I was little, now I wouldn't care about even watching them anymore.

Everything is now so easy to keep and watch over and over.

Last edited by 0rac; 12-01-05 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-01-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 0rac
Everything is now so easy to keep and watch over and over.
And this is bad how? I love having 1000+ films available to me at any moment, and not having to wait a week for the next episode of a TV show is a godsend.
Old 12-01-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

However now my daughter can watch her fav[orite]. movies at anytime.
Your poor daughter. This smells of sour grapes to me.
Old 12-01-05, 10:49 AM

I give the point above.
As a child I couldn't wait to watch shows such as Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Wizard of Oz, Star Wars, etc., etc, and all day I would be on edge watching for it. Now that is gone. My daughter loves Wizard of Oz but cause she owns it and can watch it anytime, she never does.
I have movies in my collect that if I didn't own I would TiVo. Like "Talk Radio" I love it and if wasn't on DVD I would TiVo it and wait to watch it. Now that I have it, I haven't watched sents it was released.
Old 12-01-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's like anything, there's good and bad about it. It's great she can watch this stuff anytime without someone trying to sell her stuff, but too bad some of the magic gets lost because of that.
Old 12-01-05, 10:56 AM

So right, but it just seems that cause she (or myself at times) can watch things at "anytime" we don't watch it. That movie you would wait for once a year now is collecting dust on my DVD rack cause I am don't think or wait of it anymore.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying have it all at your finger tips is good or bad.

It just seems at times some of childhood magic is gone
Old 12-01-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I understand what you mean. I used to look forward to watching The Sound of Music during the holidays. Now I have the DVD--and I haven't watched it since I bought it years ago.

On a comparable note, I used to watch the Die Hard films quite often. Now that I have so many DVDs, I have no time to watch favorites repeatedly...
Old 12-01-05, 10:57 AM

No, I understand what Orac means. Having something to look forward to is a good thing. I remember when I was a kid, I used to look forward to some of those Christmas shows too. And it put me in a good mood thinking about them with anticipation. Without the anticipation, it becomes less special in a way. May take it for granted. Despite this, I think your kid will still find joy in the movie.

Overall I don't think it's a big deal. I'm just saying that I understand what you're talking about, Orac.
Old 12-01-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I can see it being 'bad' in a way.
For some things, you no longer get the sense or urgency or delayed gratification to wait a year to watch Oz or Year Without Santa or whatever. And with small kids, who need to learn delayed gratification, that can be bad. We've got a DVR full of stuff for my boy [3 yo] to watch, and we want him to watch it, so if he wants to watch Dora or Diego, it's there. Going to visit his grandparents, they don't have that, so if he wants to watch something, he has to watch what's on, which is bad in two ways--what if he doesn't want to watch what's on, and what if I don't want him watching what's on.
Of course, the delayed gratification could be forced, as in, "You can watch it at X:00", but that's not quite the same thing.

I have thought similar things about TV-on DVD. I recently watched Farscape season 1, which took a year to show on tv and who knows how many thousands of dollars to film. I bought the dvd set for 28 bucks, and watched it in about 2 weeks. It sort of minimizes all the work and money and time the producers/directors/actors spent on the program, and of course the sense of suspense or anxious waiting.
All that said, I won't give up DVD or DVR, the convenience and pricing vastly outweighs any disadvantages, imho.

Being able to skip commercials, especially for kids programming, is great as well. But yeah, that 'sense of magic' is missing. It's like buying your own Christmas presents for someone else to give you, versus having it be a surprise [assuming you get stuff you want/like, of course--I'd rather pick out a game/dvd for someone to give me, than for them to give me a 12-pack of socks I didn't ask for.]
Old 12-01-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

That movie you would wait for once a year now is collecting dust on my DVD rack cause I am don't think or wait of it anymore.

It just seems at times some of childhood magic is gone
I agree

Things like Wizard of Oz, Rudolph or Charlie Brown Christmas don't have the same one-time "see it or miss it" sense of importance or urgency, though once VCRs came into prominence that impact could already be felt, imo.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 12-01-05 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-01-05, 11:23 AM

I understand what you're saying, Orac. I remember the days before DVD, before VHS, before HBO, when a movie being shown on network TV was a big event. There was an almost "magical" feeling to it. And that's to say nothing of the annual specials, like the Rudolph and Charlie Brown holiday shows, or the big network miniseries - do they even do those anymore?

Almost a different time by today's standards.

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 12-01-05 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-01-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

our society has shifted towards immediate gratification so waiting or being patient in any way is a thing of the past. why wait for something when you can have it immediately?
Old 12-01-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
I agree

Things like Wizard of Oz, Rudolph or Charlie Brown Christmas don't have the same one-time "see it or miss it" sense of importance or urgency, though once VCRs came into prominence that impact could already be felt, imo.
Which is the direction it is all going. As they want to make more and more media available at an on-demand service, you will begin to have a greater degree of the effect.
Old 12-01-05, 11:32 AM

And I also have noticed that the more access I have to things like movies and "old favs," I actually watch them less.

I'm more likely to watch a movie I like if I channel surf by it than to spin up the DVD. Weird, isn't it?

Or, what I also do is if I see a movie I own on TV, I won't watch it on TV because it will be fullscreen/edited/commercials, but then I won't watch the DVD, either.

Why do I have these DVDs again????
Old 12-01-05, 11:33 AM

I can see it both ways. Since you guys have mentioned the holiday stuff, I'll use that as a good example. I now have enough holiday DVDs in my collection that I actually have to make a 'viewing calendar' for December just to watch it all around the holidays. The good thing about this is I get that anticipation because I know that I've scheduled Charlie Brown or Home Alone on a future date that I can look forward to. I don't watch them except this time of year anyway. I used to hate it when for whatever reason, I wouldn't be home to watch a holiday movie or special as a kid. Now I make sure I never miss it.

If it's a non-holiday movie, I like the freedom to be able to watch it whenever I'm in the mood for that movie, not having to wait for some TV station to show it, dealing with commercials, interruptions, etc.
Old 12-01-05, 11:41 AM

Your name brings up something to me, Star Wars guy.
As I child it was great waiting 3 years after Empire to see what happened to Han Solo or to find out who "the other" Yoda spoke of was. Lucas would re-release Empire a few times before Jedi came out and it was great! Also you would replay the movie in your head trying to get clues. Now days you would own it and watch it 1,000 times, ever frame and the 3 year wait wouldn't seem as hard or fun.
One problem with the prequels is that everone owned each other one before the next one. It would have been great to have to wait for the next one or maybe have Lucas re-relase TPM a few weeks before AOTC, etc. With the DVD in hands of fans, he couldn't really do the re-release like he did before.
Old 12-01-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I child it was great waiting 3 years after Empire to see what happened to Han Solo or to find out who "the other" Yoda spoke of was. Lucas would re-release Empire a few times before Jedi came out and it was great! Also you would replay the movie in your head trying to get clues. Now days you would own it and watch it 1,000 times, ever frame and the 3 year wait wouldn't seem as hard or fun.
One problem with the prequels is that everone owned each other one before the next one. It would have been great to have to wait for the next one or maybe have Lucas re-relase TPM a few weeks before AOTC, etc. With the DVD in hands of fans, he couldn't really do the re-release like he did before.
This anticipatory wait is something that is going to be nearly lost on today's youth. The prequels didn't really have such a big excitement about them. There was huge anticipation for TPM, people were really excited about it. For AOTC, people were talking about it for maybe a few months before it came out. For ROTS, I didn't hear anyone talking about it until like the week or two before it came out. But I really hope that we don't shift this thread into talking about how Lucas did things differently over the last several years.
With the people I knew the waits between LOTR movies was bigger, but that was only a year for each.
Old 12-01-05, 11:59 AM

It seems older movies in a series still get shown on TV before newer ones come out. For instance, I did notice AOTC being shown around the time ROTS came out. So, that's still done, it's just not as big a deal as it used to be.
Old 12-01-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a VHS bootleg of Empire right after it came out in the theaters. I probably watched it 200 times between 1980-3. Believe me, it didn't make the wait any less hard or fun. To this day, I know every line, noise, music cue, etc. in that film by heart.

I hear what you're saying, definitely. The Wizard of Oz is an excellent example. I can remember making an audio cassette (!) of this when it played on CBS so I could replay it throughout the year waiting for the next airing. It was a huge deal when this came on TV.

Still, while some of the magic/wonder/anticipation is gone, I wouldn't trade our current situation for the world. The ability to pluck any film (from blockbuster to obscure to foreign to silent to serial) off my shelf and watch it is a godsend for a film buff. There are probably thousands of great films that I would simply never get to see without the current home media environment.
Old 12-01-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not a bad thing....but I see the opposite. I find myself watching movies on TV that I normally would not pull out my DVD for. I guess it's the fact if I put a DVD in I'm obligated to watch it start to finish, however, movies on TV I can change if I get bored.
Old 12-01-05, 12:18 PM

"To the most beautiful moment in life, Better than a deed, better
than a memory, the moment... of anticipation!"
-Jacques, Marge's bowling instructor

I agree that there is great joy to be found in looking forward to something you love. And the reward is usually sweeter if you have waited for it.

When you're a kid, waiting is a big part of the "magic" of the Christmas season. Christmas parties, shows, and events are all the more fun knowing that the big day is still to come. I vividly remember the excitement that built up before those Rankin/Bass Christmas specials came on.. and the exhilaration I felt when those rainbow colored words "CBS SPECIAL" danced across the screen. Even the Christmas-themed commercials were a treat to see. It all added up to an experience that you don't get from popping in a DVD whenever you feel like it.

However, all is not lost.. now I take great pleasure in anticipating DVD release dates!
Old 12-01-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
It seems older movies in a series still get shown on TV before newer ones come out. For instance, I did notice AOTC being shown around the time ROTS came out. So, that's still done, it's just not as big a deal as it used to be.

That's true to a point - but I did see my wife's grandma and her family sitting around the TV to watch Attack of the Clones to prepare for the newest movie. They have a DVD player, but not EVERY family goes and buys EVERY new film on DVD when it comes out... like me, and it sounds like most of you...
Old 12-01-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, most people do not have collections in the hundreds, let alone in the thousands. I remember when I started to collect. Having 25 was a big number. Now that many of those first DVDs are going for under $5 at Walmart I'm sure this past year many will be building up their collection but I still don't think many will pass 100 mark. Back to the origional question...I used to watch movies like 'The Quiet Man' once a year on TV. Today I don't watch TV at all (except for 'Surface') but still watch my movies. I got everyone of my favorites on DVD and the 3 that are not on DVD have been ripped off the VHS to DVD. I HATE commericals.
Old 12-01-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hugo1000faces
I vividly remember the excitement that built up before those Rankin/Bass Christmas specials came on.. and the exhilaration I felt when those rainbow colored words "CBS SPECIAL" danced across the screen.
yes! that drumbeat and snazzy little theme. I remember when some specials would come on, everyone's mom would call them in, the whole neighbourhood would run instead to watch the Heat Miser or whatever, then come back out to finish playing kickball in the dark.
Of course, we [and kids] don't do that much anymore either...

Depends on how the licensing and contracts are written up, as to when something goes to cable or broadcast TV. And of course an optimum time to show one movie, is when its sequel is coming out.

DVDs are turning into much more of an 'impulse purchase', but there's still lots of families who don't buy, especially with the prevalence of Netflix and BBO.
Old 12-01-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i dont think ill ever have everything i want on dvd, there are just too many.

My tastes also vary so there will always be a film I wish I had even though i'd only probably watch it once.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.