Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dukes of Hazzard: Unrated (a few notes)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-29-05, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked this one out tonight. Shocking! Movie's not that hot, but it actually added something to the PG-13 version (which I didn't see). In the vein of Saving Silverman, it looks like they filmed some scenes twice, with the Unrated DVD in mind.

I noted about 8 pairs of bare breasts and about 7 uses of the word "fuck". Nothing too extreme for an R-rating, but blows away most of the current "unrated" releases in terms of actually earning it.

For something I considered somewhat of a "family" film, it was a big surprise.
Old 11-29-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's certainly amazing, and I'd never have expected that. I'm not sure if that's a good thing.
Old 11-30-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't wait to get more trashy, R-rated adaptations of more of my favorite childhood shows. Next up, The Waltons: Hardcore, Extreme Edition.

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 11-30-05 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-30-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Warner had some balls, they would've let Broken Lizard have an R-rated field day with the adaptation. Super Troopers and Club Dread are comedy classics (IMO) and despite their hand being majorly involved with Dukes of Hazzard, the movie still failed on a few levels. To see that this "unrated" release actually attempts to put some "outrageous" footage in the film and not some bullshit filler makes me happy, sadly it probably doesn't improve the film at all as the problems lie with the direction the Broken Lizard took.

Too bad Todd Phillips couldn't do somewhat of the same for that shitfest known as Starsky and Hutch (another comedy director who made two great R-rated comedies, but made a watered down PG-13 shitfest... and that film had talent involved).
Old 11-30-05, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing this next week.
Old 11-30-05, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by j_sutton
I noted about 8 pairs of bare breasts .
Too bad none of them will be Jessica's.
Old 11-30-05, 08:34 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I saw the theatrical version and wasn't impressed. Might check this out for curiosity sake.
Old 11-30-05, 11:07 AM

Geez, Todd Phillips made two great films? Guess I must have missed them as I think he is one of the most humorless "comedy" directors today. OLD SCHOOL and ROAD TRIP had potential but I didn't laugh once. Same with STARSKY. Honestly, I think he is one of the worst directors working today. Manages to suck the comedy out of everything he films.

As for DUKES, this unrated move is very surprising. Considering some of the fan reaction to the first being too racy, that they would go in the opposite direction.

While I liked Broken Lizard's first film PUDDLE CRUISER, I thought the other films were misfires (especially CLUB DREAD). Don't know why they were chosen for DUKES.
Old 11-30-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by moviezzz
Geez, Todd Phillips made two great films? Guess I must have missed them as I think he is one of the most humorless "comedy" directors today. OLD SCHOOL and ROAD TRIP had potential but I didn't laugh once. Same with STARSKY. Honestly, I think he is one of the worst directors working today. Manages to suck the comedy out of everything he films.
I liked "Road Trip" (more than "American Pie") and I thought "Old School" wasn't as good as everyone said it was. "Starsky & Hutch" was better than I thought it was going to be but not good enough for a buy. To tell you the truth, I think I only liked "Road Trip" because of Amy Smart.
Old 11-30-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I can't wait to get more trashy, R-rated adaptations of more of my favorite childhood shows. Next up, The Waltons: Hardcore, Extreme Edition.
Certainly gives a whole new meaning to "Goodnight, John Boy."
Old 11-30-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by DGibFen
Certainly gives a whole new meaning to "Goodnight, John Boy."
I was trying to think of an appropriately disgusting witticism, but my knowledge of the Walton's is pretty slim.

I'm thinking this is pretty odd too, didn't the guy that played Cooter on the show basically tell fans to boycott because of it's raciness?

And as for Broken Lizard, I went in expecting a dumb parody of slasher flicks, but wound up enjoying a pretty decent slasher comedy.