Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

And the First Blu-Ray Title is...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-05, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It makes perfect sense for Sony to use this title as a test subject for their new format. First, before anyone else asks, the engineers at Sony are probably sick of using Spiderman in everything they do. Every show and/or demo has involved Spiderman for sometime now.

They are obviously in the codec testing/transfer phase and probably picked this title b/c the print is in beautiful condition to begin with, lots of color, fast action, and quick editing.

BTW, they certainly didn't announce that this would be their only debut title. Who wants to bet if this title is one of the "giveaways" with a PS3 purchase?
Old 11-27-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I am glad they're starting with a 2.35:1 title. With HDTV and the PSP having some titles cropped to fit the screen, I'm curious to see if they think it's acceptable for an HD disc format. If they start with Spider-Man 2 and have it cropped to 1.78:1, who knows how long we may have to wait for a proper version. With CA:FT, I wouldn't be upset as it is something I wouldn't buy, but I would still want to send them the message that it isn't acceptable for any film with the scope ratio.

Then again, 1.78:1 will be the "fullscreen" version after all, so I suppose they could make separate versions like they do now.
Old 11-27-05, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know about HDTV, but I think the whole reason for cropping PSP titles is so that the films are watchable on the screen - I know comparing Spiderman2 (cropped) and Kill Bill (Letterboxed), that I actually prefer my PSP films to be cropped (I know, I know), just because of the lack of resolution left.

Hopefully Next-Gen DVD formats will maintain the full image, because they have so much more resolution to play with.

With regards to them using MPEG-2, I remember hearing as late as early september there were still issues with performance playback with AVC, like 15fps on high-end systems. I think the hardware decoding chips were only starting to come on line, and as of yet there doesn't seem to be any hardware decoding boards for PCs like there was when DVD came out.

Just a thought...
Old 11-27-05, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am still wondering if PS3 will actully ship with a BD rom on board. I hear the MS is losing upwards of $150 on every system sold. Will Sony take a more than $300 loss on each system?

This film is bright and vibrant and stars some well loved actresses. It is a perfect marketing tool.

Maybe the "altruistic" Peter Jackson could rererererelease his LotR trilogy (which has had more DVD versions than any SW film BTW) onto BR.

Finally, if these marketing guys are smart, they will build the "fullscreen" conversion into the player rather than relying on the discs to do it. Then J6P can have his cake and we can eat it too.
Old 11-28-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hope the next blu ray disc is BATTLEFIELD EARTH......
Old 11-28-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by raven56706
i hope the next blu ray disc is BATTLEFIELD EARTH......
I saw a copy of it on dvd at a dollar store for $5 bucks, so I think it's time this happens. lol.
Old 11-28-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I'm surprised that greedy bastard Luca$ hasn't released Star Wars on blu-ray yet.
He's probably just still working on the changes for this version.
Old 11-28-05, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
I saw a copy of it on dvd at a dollar store for $5 bucks
Old 11-28-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by LilDears
Probably a Dollar General or the like.
Old 11-28-05, 03:45 PM

Charlies Angels 2 - Sony's breaking out the BIG GUNS for the format war! Anybody have an idea how much they're gonna charge for that tripe?
Old 11-28-05, 03:47 PM

oy!
Old 11-28-05, 10:37 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was it the really best Sony can do with their vast film library?
Old 11-29-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a test disc.....I dunno why everyone is so indignant? It's a fun movie that was recently shot, with alot of color and as was stated above three well loved actresses. If the industry wants to pick some eye candy for their guinea pig, I find it hard to blame them.