Reload this Page >

Cold weather and DVDs

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Cold weather and DVDs

Old 11-18-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold weather and DVDs

Hey all, first off I tried a search "cold weather DVD package shipped left out".... (so please don't yell at me if this is a repost of a thread)

I recently got about $100 of stuff in one package from DDD.

Unfortunately, the mail man left it on my porch and the enormous winds I'm experiencing here in Cleveland blew the package off of a small porch and behind some landscaping and I just found it (it's not THAT windy, I'm guessing the package was left upright and the wind that got to it knocked it over and down into the landscaping). It's been sitting there for a guaranteed 10 hours in 30 degree weather + wind chill (= COLD!) and might have been there since Wednesday or Thursday. Once I opened it, the DVD's were FREEZING to the touch! I've opened up each DVD to make sure there was no physical damage/cracking/breaking from the wind hurling it, and luckily there's none.

My big question is, how much does weather affect a DVD? Do any of you have any experiences with it, good or bad? I'd love to watch them all within the 30 days I have to return them just in case, but it's just soooooo much to watch! I've already watched the Big Lebowski and Clueless and they are fine. Just please post some stories you guys have with this type of situation. Thanks.
Old 11-19-05, 12:04 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Around this time, most of the discs I order come frigid (being in Wisconsin, it gets rather cold in the winter). They are usually as you described, very very cold to the touch (like feeling as my tongue would freeze if I licked them -- thankfully I rarely lick my discs).

Anyhow, I've not had a problem with any such discs. I usually make sure they have warmed to room temp (and rid of ensuing condensation) before playing, but otherwise have been fine.

I always assumed that discs were fine for shorter periods of time, like being in transit. And while it sat outside for 10 hours, most disc's transit time is around a week -- and that is basically like being outside for all that time. So I wouldn't worry about it, assuming they look okay.

Last edited by mbs; 11-19-05 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-19-05, 12:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just give them time to come to room temp and you should be fine.
Old 11-19-05, 12:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold temparature will not effect DVDs, only hot weather if they are left outdoors in the sun, or in a very hot room indoors where they are stored for a long duration of time. You may want to let the DVDs get room temparature to allow them to defrost on their own, before you play them, if they are still extremely cold.
Old 11-19-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nemein
Just give them time to come to room temp and you should be fine.

My UPS orders have spent hours in sub-zero temps...no problems. Just don't go tearing into them right away...cold, stiff cases and discs bend less and crack easily.