Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

When a new DVD is scratched, but plays perfectly, what do you do?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: When a new DVD is scratched, but plays perfectly, what do you do?
Exchange it, because new discs shouldn't have scratches.
33.68%
Keep it, because it works like it's supposed to.
54.74%
Exchange it, because my OCD is driving me crazy.
6.32%
Keep it, because I don't want to feed my OCD.
5.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

When a new DVD is scratched, but plays perfectly, what do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-05, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 of the dvds (Jaws 2, 1941) I got under walmarts $4.88 deal were scratched and would not play in any of my players... exchanged them and then the second Jaws 2 dvd was the same way.... luckily the third time was the charm.. anyone else have that kind of trouble with those dvds?
Old 11-19-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they play fine I don't find it worth the effort to exchange them.
Old 11-19-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ever since I have been buying new cds, I have encountered maybe 1 or 2 that have had some type of scratch on it. For new dvds, I've found well over 50 to have a scratch on them. I'm not sure if this is the case with everyone else. It seems that record labels do a much better job of manufacturing their discs than movie studios. Why is this?

When I buy a cd, I'm 99.9% sure it'll be scratch free. For a dvd, I'm about 50% sure. These are not instances where the disc was loose. They were secured in the case. The same goes for video games. Rarely do I buy one that has anything on the data surface. But movies are a completely different story. Very strange...
Old 11-19-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
choices A and C for me, lol
Old 11-19-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I don't know, I personally don't like to keep discs that have scratches on them....... I paid retail for an item and I don't expect it to be damaged.
My thoughts on the matter exactly!...whilst retaliers are getting my money, money i like to think i've worked hard for and earned why should i settle for anything less than a disc without scratches regardless of whether it plays or not!
Old 11-19-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I've yet to see any major scratches on the discs i've purchased, however I have yet to return any with minor scuffs since they play just fine.
Old 11-19-05, 02:57 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exchange it, in a New York half-second. I'm always amazed that, in two decades of CD buying, I don't think I've once come across a scratched factory-sealed disc, but it happens every 15-20 DVDs I buy. Aggravating as a mofo.

* he he, I just read Mr. Cinema's post...I guess I have a brother out there!
Old 11-19-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Exchange it, in a New York half-second. I'm always amazed that, in two decades of CD buying, I don't think I've once come across a scratched factory-sealed disc, but it happens every 15-20 DVDs I buy. Aggravating as a mofo.

* he he, I just read Mr. Cinema's post...I guess I have a brother out there!
I've noticed the same thing here. It is weird as hell. My guess is that the packaging of DVD's is generally handled more by human labor than either in CD or games manufacturing. More handling by humans means more dropping, tossing around, carelessness, or just general malicious damage (because people suck).

And the worst thing is that DVD's are MUCH more sensitive to even slight damage, which is why all of us get freaked out about. I take great care of all of my media, but CD's really seem to hold up and work well no matter what. I don't even bother to check them for damage, because I know they will work even with scratches and scuffs.

When I get DVD's with light scuffs and scratches, the first thing I usually do is see if buffing them with a cloth will remove the scuff. That works about 75% of the time. If the scratch is more significant, I play the disk and if I can't see a problem, I usually will keep it. Any sign of playback problems, and it goes back for return, which is a pain because I buy like 90% of my DVD's online.
Old 11-21-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
As long as it plays fine, I see no reason to return it. I know some are pretty anal about scratches around here.

Heh heh... he said anal scratches